Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wussification?

wussification?

discuss.

and using the term "child abuse" in these situations is the wrong term to be using-talk about sensational journalism.

Opinion: Youth hockey injuries border on child abuse

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...ild-abuse?lite

The NHL hockey playoffs are underway. The contact is fierce and the fans love it. I do, too. But there is big trouble brewing for the future of hockey, football and other contact sports -- concussions. If hockey does not change, it has a dim future. Not because of the injuries being suffered by professional players but because of parents trying to do the right thing by keeping their kids away from a dangerous sport.

Parents are in a horrific bind. Their kids want to play contact sports but their coaches want them to emulate the pros. Oversight groups make noises about a safer game, but the concussion rate grows and grows. Parents want their kids to play sports to keep them out of trouble and to encourage habits and virtues that will help them later in life. But they certainly don't want to see them with headaches, memory loss and learning difficulties later on, either....

Blackshirt
    Your headline says it all. The Wussification of America. This started a long time ago but now is boardering on the surreal. Lets see. Everyone gets a participation medal. (just show-up )
    I will sue you because Im stupid enough to pour hot coffee on myself. ( you should have known I was a wuss!)
    I got hurt on the play grounds at school. ( Lets sue the school board & citizens of the community )
    My kid stole a car & totaled it. ( Well they should not have left the keys in it, Im sueing )
    Someone broke in my home so I shot his arse. ( Well guess who's getting sued )
    We promised to take care of our injured vets. ( We lied sue me )

Youth sports now start at 4 years old. The extreme some parents (too many) go to borders on child abuse, both physical and mental.

Kids are exposed to a wider variety of more serious injuries at a younger age and the quest for glory exposes them to risk for a longer period.

If anything, it's just the opposite of wussification.

Another factor is that kids used to play sports like hockey and football in a much less structured environment. They played them less frequently, and unless you lived in a neighborhood of bruisers, they played them with far less chance of injury. There are a lot more ice rinks today than there were even 20 years ago, much less 40.

No it's not wussification. Concussions can cause a lifetime handicap. They're just not worth it.

I don't think we're going to recognize football in 10 - 15 years. Mommas won't to let their babies grow up to be concussed.

Intellectual Patriot
    We used to play full contact football without pads and helmets. Then when we got pads and helmets we became headhunters. Headhunters in fake helmets that wouldnt even be allowed on a kid's head on a bike these days. Oh, and we didnt wear bike helmets. Concussions didnt hurt me. Not a single one of them. Concussions didnt hurt me. Not a single one of them. I had 3 concussions before the age of 13, and multiple ones since. I am reckless and mildly braindamaged, but it was all really fun.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

All Legend

I'm tired of hearing that every next generation is weaker than the last, especially when the conclusion hinges on how we treat our children.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Blackshirt
    1st Always knew football, hockey, etc were contact sports & you could get injured. That has not changed. Lets see I practiced 3 times aweek in Pee Wee football. Then a game on Saturday. They don't do much more than that now in Pee Wee. Had the same equipment as everyone else. Difference ? ( I went home & did my chores, homework, then went out to play with permission, did not go & play with my Nintendo ) What are we teaching the youths of this country.
    In my opinion, Lets just do enough to get by. If thats not enough we will sue our way there. That is my point.

All Big 10
    One major thing that is missed about sports today, is that the child has to play that one sport year-round in order to stay competitive. They play softball & soccer indoors in the winter, travel sports compete year round, except when High School Sports are in season. This leads to repetitive stress injuries, nagging injuries that won't heal, and a real sense that the child feels that they are letting their teammates down if they aren't out there.
    You never stand so tall as when you kneel to help a child.

Habitual Line Crosser
    Quote Originally Posted by 4evrHusker View Post
    One major thing that is missed about sports today, is that the child has to play that one sport year-round in order to stay competitive. They play softball & soccer indoors in the winter, travel sports compete year round, except when High School Sports are in season. This leads to repetitive stress injuries, nagging injuries that won't heal, and a real sense that the child feels that they are letting their teammates down if they aren't out there.
    This is definitely a MAJOR factor in injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    You get so wrapped up in the proverbial "its all about me and my" that you loose not only your creditability but any resemblance of intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I'm reaching the point of becoming a lunatic here

diversification is key until the last year or 2 of HS-where one has a realistic shot at a college scholarship-then they should focus on that sport.

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    diversification is key until the last year or 2 of HS-where one has a realistic shot at a college scholarship-then they should focus on that sport.
    Sadly, this is no longer the norm in competitive circles. Travel sports almost demand year-round commitments from the competitors. It is in the last year or two of HS that those that realize that they don't have a shot, taper off their commitment.
    You never stand so tall as when you kneel to help a child.

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrHusker View Post

Sadly, this is no longer the norm in competitive circles. Travel sports almost demand year-round commitments from the competitors. It is in the last year or two of HS that those that realize that they don't have a shot, taper off their commitment.
    This.

I see it all the time at church, where the kids are so invested in hockey or baseball or whatever the sport may be, and it's a year-round commitment, that it eats up all of their other time. And it's becoming more and more the norm.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Intellectual Patriot
    Is chasing girls considered a sport? Because I still have some scars from that.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    This.

I see it all the time at church, where the kids are so invested in hockey or baseball or whatever the sport may be, and it's a year-round commitment, that it eats up all of their other time. And it's becoming more and more the norm.
    Not to mention their parents money. The amount spent on elite sports (travel, coaching, gear, medical bills, etc) over a 13 year period (age 5 to 18, and don't kid yourself, it starts at age 5), probably equals what they'd spend on four years at a decent public university.

Heisman
    In my youth, dirt clod fights contributed to my current neuro challenges. challenges

Habitual Line Crosser
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Not to mention their parents money. The amount spent on elite sports (travel, coaching, gear, medical bills, etc) over a 13 year period (age 5 to 18, and don't kid yourself, it starts at age 5), probably equals what they'd spend on four years at a decent public university.
    But can you imagine how much scratch they'll be making as an NFL started for 13 years!!!!!!1111111

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    You get so wrapped up in the proverbial "its all about me and my" that you loose not only your creditability but any resemblance of intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I'm reaching the point of becoming a lunatic here

Kids just don't realize how good they've got it...

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBass View Post
    In my youth, dirt clod fights contributed to my current neuro challenges. challenges
    +1

+1

I love fan mail.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBass View Post
    Awesome. I haven't heard the term dirt clod fight in a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Red Shirt

Here is a problem I see. "Select" teams used to be just that "Select". Not anymore if your kid doesn't make the "Select" team parents are starting up their own "Select" team so their kid isn't cut. Then you enter that same team in with the true "Select" teams and you end up with kids playing against teams that are generally bigger, stronger, faster and just overall better and that is probably where alot of the injuries start happening. I remember playing baseball when I was 12yrs old against seniors to be in highschool in the fall leagues, late summer Nebraska Select highschool teams I played on travelled the region and played junior colleges (not fun getting drilled in the back by a 90mph fastball when you are 12) but my point is that there was huge risk for injury in those leagues because most of us weren't even close to being physically ready to play with them. In Lincoln for baseball it used to be the Rebel/Kawanis as your select teams then you had Little League/Babe Ruth and the difference in talent between those were huge. Now you have like 6 or 7 different "Select" teams but IMO it has just spread out the talent. Its okay to be cut you just have to work harder for the next chance.

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    Is chasing girls considered a sport? Because I still have some scars from that.
    emotional scars don't count
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.