Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A piece on Atheists

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    People can still pray in school.
    Excuse me, we can't force people to pray in school.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    And why would you.

pray for me ;)
    Keep fighting and maybe someday it will happen.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    Yet that is not the position of most atheist groups, again acknowledging these groups don't represent all atheists, but these ARE the ones bringing lawsuit after lawsuit to erase any and all references to faith within any entity no matter how flimsy the tie to government.
    Without a doubt, many groups use any little chance they can get to cause a controversy.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

No one can be forced to pray anywhere. Likewise, no one can be prevented from praying anywhere (On gov't property, that is.)

Oh my!
    And why would you.
    We were having a pretty decent discussion, most understood the context of what I posted and the idea of what I meant, if you want to hijack this and make this a tit for tat semantic discussion I am game...
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

pray for me ;)
    I understand where Basil is coming from though. You don't have to worship anything but by the same token you can't silence those that do.

I have no issue with that and I am not sure anyone really does.

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post
    No one can be forced to pray anywhere. Likewise, no one can be prevented from praying anywhere (On gov't property, that is.)
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Without a doubt, many groups use any little chance they can get to cause a controversy.
    Except they win many of those suits because of such liberal interpretation of the constitution in this regard.

Oh my!
    Except they win many of those suits because of such liberal interpretation of the constitution in this regard.
    You have to be careful with the interpretation of the Constitution in these matters, the door swings both ways. A prime example is Obama trying to force Catholic hospitals to provide free birth control.

pray for me ;)
    Usually they win because its unconstitutional period. Many are just not worth the fight in my opinion.

God of Huskermax

We were having a pretty decent discussion, most understood the context of what I posted and the idea of what I meant, if you want to hijack this and make this a tit for tat semantic discussion I am game...
    Easy there Mr Sensitive, I made a comment related to the discussion. Basil basically repeated why I said and added a sentence. You had no issue with that I see. So let's just keep it on topic punkin, this was going well until you veered off to come after me. That's not something that needs to be done.

So let's get back at it.... I take it from your post to Basil that you now have a better understanding of where he is coming from. Specifically the of vs from debate.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Usually they win because its unconstitutional period. Many are just not worth the fight in my opinion.
    I would agree with this, with the most recent example being the Marine Corps crosses. That is not a battle that needed to be fought.

Oh my!
    I would agree with this, with the most recent example being the Marine Corps crosses. That is not a battle that needed to be fought.
    That is a battle that will result in bad press for the Atheists fighting it.

pray for me ;)
    Most likely.

God of Huskermax

I'm pretty sure those particular atheists don't care how they look. While they may have a point, I disagree with them picking the fight.

Oh my!
    I'm pretty sure those particular atheists don't care how they look. While they may have a point, I disagree with them picking the fight.
    It will also have bad press for the atheists not fighting it and disagreeing with the fight too.

God of Huskermax

It will also have bad press for the atheists not fighting it and disagreeing with the fight too.
    Yup. Just like all Christians get the bad press from the Phelps clan.

But, again, "those" types of atheists are the face of atheism and are the ones that bring ALL these lawsuits, even the ones you might agree with. And, they have a much more zealous and sinister intent. Atheist group websites sound as bad as right wing extremist, or left wing anarchists. So much anger and or ridicule for those of faith.

Oh my!
    Yup. Just like all Christians get the bad press from the Phelps clan.
    What do you think we should do with Phelps?