Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A piece on Atheists

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    What else do you consider a default belief?
    Pro-breathing, pro-eating, anti-dying, enjoying two hot women having sex...
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Pro-breathing, pro-eating, , anti-dying, enjoying two hot women having sex...

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogahusker View Post
    I personally believe that a large number of Athiests would prefer that there was no religion on this planet. I've seen a lot of Athiest blame religion for many of the worlds ills while ignoring the good that religion has done. Not to mention the great lengths some go through to disprove and mock religion. If you choose not to believe, that's your issue.
    Without a doubt there are atheists out there that would like religion wiped from the face of the earth. Just as there are some Christians who think that their God hates homosexuals. Opinions vary on all sorts of things in every group.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

pray for me ;)
    Pro-breathing, pro-eating, anti-dying, enjoying two hot women having sex...
    Disclaimer: I realize that there are maybe 10 or 20 people out there who actually do not enjoy watching two hot women having sex therefor it really is not a default position at all. It was yet another attempt at humor which does not hit the mark on everyone equally.

I have never said that I have been forced into anything. Atheism is a default belief. You were not born with belief, it was learned.
    Interesting.

I've never considered whether humans are pre-disposed to faith in a higher being or teach themselves faith.

I'll have to think about that for a while.

Scout Team
    How many of us really had a choice what we were to belief when we were growing up? But I get your point.
    I get your point as well but, being a true geek, I think it can be explained in Database terms. The "default" is a Null value. In other words it has nothing there. As time passes it can be a Zero Byte Integer or an actual value, and it can go back and forth, but whether there is belief or no belief there is "something" there. Choice probably wasn't the best term.

Peace.
    Apparently I need to get a new sig line.

Quote Originally Posted by husker6 View Post
    I get your point as well but, being a true geek, I think it can be explained in Database terms. The "default" is a Null value. In other words it has nothing there. As time passes it can be a Zero Byte Integer or an actual value, and it can go back and forth, but whether there is belief or no belief there is "something" there. Choice probably wasn't the best term.

Peace.
    Meanwhile, an Oracle DBA somewhere just felt a disturbance in the force...

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    Meanwhile, an Oracle DBA somewhere just felt a disturbance in the force...
    The force is strong with this one!

God of Huskermax

Nerds.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Nerds.
    Geeks.

I have options.

And a life.

(Listen to me. You'd think I was sensitive or something )

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Nerds.
    At least they're funny nerds. That counts for something.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    At least they're funny nerds. That counts for something.
    Totally!

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by husker6 View Post

Peace.
    I ummm....what?

Quote Originally Posted by Ogahusker View Post
    I personally believe that a large number of Athiests would prefer that there was no religion on this planet. I've seen a lot of Athiest blame religion for many of the worlds ills while ignoring the good that religion has done. Not to mention the great lengths some go through to disprove and mock religion. If you choose not to believe, that's your issue.
    Without a doubt there are atheists out there that would like religion wiped from the face of the earth. Just as there are some Christians who think that their God hates homosexuals. Opinions vary on all sorts of things in every group.
    I meant default in terms of how the constitution is applied. The constitution , IMO, meant to avoid a state sponsored religion and allow all the freedom to believe and worship as you please...or not. Today's atheist groups (differentiating from all atheists here) seem to interpret the constitution as preferring the absence of all religion. The government allows and acknowledges all other aspects of culture...age, sex, ethnicity, race, etc...yet any acknowledgement of faith is met to screams of "preference" by atheist groups. As if the default of the country should be the absence of all religion or faith.

Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    I meant default in terms of how the constitution is applied. The constitution , IMO, meant to avoid a state sponsored religion and allow all the freedom to believe and worship as you please...or not. Today's atheist groups (differentiating from all atheists here) seem to interpret the constitution as preferring the absence of all religion. The government allows and acknowledges all other aspects of culture...age, sex, ethnicity, race, etc...yet any acknowledgement of faith is met to screams of "preference" by atheist groups. As if the default of the country should be the absence of all religion or faith.
    My understanding of the Bill of Rights is that citizens have a freedom of choice with respect to religion, but no freedom from religion.