Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A piece on Atheists

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Nerds.
    At least they're funny nerds. That counts for something.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    Totally!

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by husker6 View Post
    I get your point as well but, being a true geek, I think it can be explained in Database terms. The "default" is a Null value. In other words it has nothing there. As time passes it can be a Zero Byte Integer or an actual value, and it can go back and forth, but whether there is belief or no belief there is "something" there. Choice probably wasn't the best term.

Peace.
    I ummm....what?
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogahusker View Post
    I personally believe that a large number of Athiests would prefer that there was no religion on this planet. I've seen a lot of Athiest blame religion for many of the worlds ills while ignoring the good that religion has done. Not to mention the great lengths some go through to disprove and mock religion. If you choose not to believe, that's your issue.
    Without a doubt there are atheists out there that would like religion wiped from the face of the earth. Just as there are some Christians who think that their God hates homosexuals. Opinions vary on all sorts of things in every group.
    I meant default in terms of how the constitution is applied. The constitution , IMO, meant to avoid a state sponsored religion and allow all the freedom to believe and worship as you please...or not. Today's atheist groups (differentiating from all atheists here) seem to interpret the constitution as preferring the absence of all religion. The government allows and acknowledges all other aspects of culture...age, sex, ethnicity, race, etc...yet any acknowledgement of faith is met to screams of "preference" by atheist groups. As if the default of the country should be the absence of all religion or faith.

Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    I meant default in terms of how the constitution is applied. The constitution , IMO, meant to avoid a state sponsored religion and allow all the freedom to believe and worship as you please...or not. Today's atheist groups (differentiating from all atheists here) seem to interpret the constitution as preferring the absence of all religion. The government allows and acknowledges all other aspects of culture...age, sex, ethnicity, race, etc...yet any acknowledgement of faith is met to screams of "preference" by atheist groups. As if the default of the country should be the absence of all religion or faith.
    My understanding of the Bill of Rights is that citizens have a freedom of choice with respect to religion, but no freedom from religion.

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post
    My understanding of the Bill of Rights is that citizens have a freedom of choice with respect to religion, but no freedom from religion.
    Can you explain your understanding?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    I can only give a cursory explanation. I'm not a Constitutional law attorney and outside of due process, I don't have a whole lot of depth of knowledge. Essentially, my understanding is based upon a textual argument encompassed within the greater 18th century societal considerations, namely the Declaration of Independence and puritanical beliefs that influenced the founding fathers. In addition, the religion jurisprudence of SCOTUS largely addresses evaluating whether a set of beliefs is a legitimate religion and preventing the state from establishing religion. The jurisprudence does not inhibit private citizens from forming religions nor insulating non-believers from the believers, i.e. Westboro Baptist, the line of Indian peyote cases. In the cases I remember, SCOTUS does not address a religion's opponent's grievances with a said religion as an avenue to place restraints on the religion.

Do you believe the intent of the founding fathers was that America be free from all acknowledgment of faith as Atheist groups would interpret?

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Totally!
    I ummm....what?

LOL!

Do you believe the intent of the founding fathers was that America be free from all acknowledgment of faith as Atheist groups would interpret?
    No.

Our coins belie that position.

So, it is not the position of atheist groups to have references to God removed from coins? (using your example)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/7426824/Atheist-in-battle-to-remove-In-God-We-Trust-from-US-currency.html

pray for me ;)
    "God" was added to currency and the pledge of allegiance in the 50's thanks mostly to the "red scare" of McCarthyism. Its also a pretty generic term since it could represent any of the thousands of Gods out there.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

"God" was added to currency and the pledge of allegiance in the 50's thanks mostly to the "red scare" of McCarthyism. Its also a pretty generic term since it could represent any of the thousands of Gods out there.
    Agree. The generality emphasizes my point that there is not freedom from religion, simply freedom of religion.

Oh my!
    I can only give a cursory explanation. I'm not a Constitutional law attorney and outside of due process, I don't have a whole lot of depth of knowledge. Essentially, my understanding is based upon a textual argument encompassed within the greater 18th century societal considerations, namely the Declaration of Independence and puritanical beliefs that influenced the founding fathers. In addition, the religion jurisprudence of SCOTUS largely addresses evaluating whether a set of beliefs is a legitimate religion and preventing the state from establishing religion. The jurisprudence does not inhibit private citizens from forming religions nor insulating non-believers from the believers, i.e. Westboro Baptist, the line of Indian peyote cases. In the cases I remember, SCOTUS does not address a religion's opponent's grievances with a said religion as an avenue to place restraints on the religion.
    I had to step out for a while, an old friend showed up and we had to go do a couple of shots...

Now that I am a little oiled up I would like to discuss this, I had never looked at some of those cases for that theme, in fact I never really thought about it that way. My first reaction was that courts tell us that we can't have prayer in school, etc..., but in the perspective you are suggesting that was not a restraint to the religion itself.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

pray for me ;)
    Agree. The generality emphasizes my point that there is not freedom from religion, simply freedom of religion.
    When someone says that there is no "freedom from religion" it sounds like I have to worship something. Go Huskers!

God of Huskermax

I had to step out for a while, an old friend showed up and we had to go do a couple of shots...

Now that I am a little oiled up I would like to discuss this, I had never looked at some of those cases for that theme, in fact I never really thought about it that way. My first reaction was that courts tell us that we can't have prayer in school, etc..., but in the perspective you are suggesting that was not a restraint to the religion itself.
    People can still pray in school.

Yet that is not the position of most atheist groups, again acknowledging these groups don't represent all atheists, but these ARE the ones bringing lawsuit after lawsuit to erase any and all references to faith within any entity no matter how flimsy the tie to government.

As long as you're laughing with us and not at us...

God of Huskermax

When someone says that there is no "freedom from religion" it sounds like I have to worship something. Go Huskers!
    I understand where Basil is coming from though. You don't have to worship anything but by the same token you can't silence those that do.