Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A piece on Atheists

Hybrid View

Oh my!

A piece on Atheists

I found this piece interesting on Atheists:

The number of disbelievers is growing, but they remain America's least trusted minority. Why? How many atheists are there?
    David Silverman, president of American Atheists, claims these Nones as members of his tribe. "If you don't have a belief in God, you're an atheist," he said. "It doesn't matter what you call yourself."
    How are nonbelievers perceived?
    Most polls suggest that atheists are among the most disliked groups in the U.S. One study last year asked participants whether a fictional hit-and-run driver was more likely to be an atheist or a rapist. A majority chose atheist. In 2006, another study found that Americans rated atheists as less likely to agree with their vision of America than Muslims, Hispanics, or homosexuals. "Wherever there are religious majorities, atheists are among the least trusted people," said University of British Columbia sociologist Will M. Gervais. As a result, avowed atheists are rare in nearly all areas of public life. Of the 535 legislators in Congress, for example, only one — Rep. Pete Stark (D-Calif.) — calls himself an atheist.
    Alain de Botton, the Anglo-Swiss writer of the new book Religion for Atheists, assails Dawkins as being "very narrow-minded," and praises religions as "the most successful educational and intellectual movements the planet has ever witnessed."
    More here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/rise-atheism-a...110700315.html
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

pray for me ;)
    Atheists are just so damn cool.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Atheists are just so damn cool.
    Word.

God of Huskermax

One study last year asked participants whether a fictional hit-and-run driver was more likely to be an atheist or a rapist. A majority chose atheist
    Thats hilarious!

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Thats hilarious!
    Hopefully you read the article beyond the quotes...
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Yup. That part was just hilarious though.

I'll say this much. This country spent the better part of the last century fearing those godless Soviets. Do I think it's a coincidence that religious Americans still distrust atheists? Nope...

Alain de Botton, the Anglo-Swiss writer of the new book Religion for Atheists, assails Dawkins as being "very narrow-minded," and praises religions as "the most successful educational and intellectual movements the planet has ever witnessed."
    Dawkins is kind of a dork, but the bolded is also on the verge of becoming a historical relic. Islamic territory was a hotbed of intellectual development 1,000 years ago. Standardized language, standardized law, free flow of information. (That started to fall apart when the Mongols sacked Baghdad in the mid-1200s.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Golden_Age

Meanwhile the Catholics were sentencing Galileo to house arrest for daring to advance heliocentrism.

The rise of secular governments, public education, etc. has made it possible for progress to now take place outside the scope of religion, not necessarily in spite of or because of it.

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    I'll say this much. This country spent the better part of the last century fearing those godless Soviets. Do I think it's a coincidence that religious Americans still distrust atheists? Nope...

Dawkins is kind of a dork, but the bolded is also on the verge of becoming a historical relic. Islamic territory was a hotbed of intellectual development 1,000 years ago. Standardized language, standardized law, free flow of information. (That started to fall apart when the Mongols sacked Baghdad in the mid-1200s.)

Meanwhile the Catholics were sentencing Galileo to house arrest for daring to advance heliocentrism.

The rise of secular governments, public education, etc. has made it possible for progress to now take place outside the scope of religion, not necessarily in spite of or because of it.
    Who are the people who get credit for this secular government?

Who are the people who get credit for this secular government?
    Easy answer is the Founding Fathers™. That's also the wrong answer, imo, or at a minimum a cop-out.

Anybody who helped cut strings between the Catholic Church and western European society over the last 600-700 years inevitably contributed to what we have today. Henry VIII told the Pope to go jump in a lake so he could get a divorce. Martin Luther's Ninety-Five Theses gave rise to the Protestant movement. These events (among others) inevitably created a layer of separation between moral authority and... well, actual authority. That's not to say religion in general wasn't a powerful influence at that point; it just loses a bit of its oomph when you don't have Popes coronating and holding sway over rulers anymore. (That ended with in the Holy Roman Empire with... who, Maximilian I? I forget now... I blame the beer)

What we have today is really a natural progression from that.

pray for me ;)
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

God of Huskermax

How so?

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    How so?
    I believe its a comparison to using rational thought in a country where the majority looks to faith. Its just a clever little saying thats been around forever. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Is it necessary to break it down? The kitty who wants a cheezburger probably shouldn't have one either. I wonder if anyone has questioned the dietary guidelines of feeding a cat people food with poor nutritional value?

God of Huskermax

Quick question, let's say there is a fictional person who is a pedophile, is that person more likely to be a Christian or one of the original members of the lollipop guild?

OMG everyone answered Christian! That means everyone hates Christians.

Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post

Ironically, academe is the entity trending towards the one-sided, dogmatic, and closed-minded.