Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bout time

Heisman

bout time

http://news.yahoo.com/conn-legislature-approves-repeal-death-penalty-030 Government sponsored murder seems to be going the way of the horse and carriage. Our civilization advances
    ​le veau d'or

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBass View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/conn-legislature-approves-repeal-death-penalty-030 Government sponsored murder seems to be going the way of the horse and carriage. Our civilization advances
    Anti-death penalty?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Heisman
    yes and I can't seem to get the link to work, my apologies
    ​le veau d'or

Oh my!
    yes and I can't seem to get the link to work, my apologies
    I kind of figured it from the text in your post, why are you anti-death penalty?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    I kind of figured it from the text in your post, why are you anti-death penalty?
    While I am not anti-death penalty, I certainly understand the argument from those who are.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    While I am not anti-death penalty, I certainly understand the argument from those who are.
    I am not anti-death penalty either, but I am also not to concerned if death penalties are repealed. Michigan does not have a death penalty and there are groups fighting to get it here tooth and nail.

Almost like it's a formality. They have only executed one person since 1960.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...in_Connecticut

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    Almost like it's a formality. They have only executed one person since 1960.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...in_Connecticut
    In Connecticut it is mostly a waste of space, here in Detroit, they would be very busy. You have any feelings on it?

Heisman
    My concerns are threefold. The challenge of executing an innocent human, the exponential cost of an execution and my concern for our evolving civilization and the lack of success execution has had at deterring capitol crimes.
    (thanks for the link Nish)
    ​le veau d'or

Oh my!
    My concerns are threefold. The challenge of executing an innocent human, the exponential cost of an execution and my concern for our evolving civilization and the lack of success execution has had at deterring capitol crimes.
    (thanks for the link Nish)
    The challenge of executing an innocent human?

Heisman
    ...cases where an individual is convicted of a capitol crime, executed and then proven innocent
    ​le veau d'or

Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    In Connecticut it is mostly a waste of space, here in Detroit, they would be very busy. You have any feelings on it?
    Not a huge fan of it. Sure, it's nice to have for people like Timothy McVeigh, but functionally I think it's a waste of time. We keep guys on death row literally for decades while they work their way through the appeals process and other various administrivia. Here in NE there's a bit of a brouhaha because the state purchased some sodium thiopental it was apparently not supposed to be able to have access to, and is now barred from using that drug to execute a guy who's pushing 30 years on death row. Maybe I'm just lazy, but at some point I would have said look, Michael Ryan is never seeing the outside of a jail cell ever again, let's just call it good and quit wasting time on him. Put him on bread and water, reduce medical care available to him, and throw away the key to his cell.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/cr...5d44569fb.html

Oh my!
    ...cases where an individual is convicted of a capitol crime, executed and then proven innocent
    If they were able to perfect the criminal justice system so that could not happen how would you feel about the death penalty then?

Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    Put him on bread and water
    Not illegal in Nebraska.

29-2208. Sentence to imprisonment in the county jail; hard labor; bread and water.
    When any court or magistrate shall sentence any convict to imprisonment in the jail of the county as a punishment for the offense committed, the judgment and sentence shall require that the convict be imprisoned in the cell of the jail of the county, or that he be kept at hard labor in the jail; and when the imprisonment is to be without labor, the sentence may require the convict to be fed on bread and water only, the whole or any part of the term of imprisonment.

http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/law...tatute=29-2208

Heisman
    I would still be against it.
    ​le veau d'or