Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How's everybody feeling about the upcoming season?

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    Is that bad? I'm not sure what you can by embarrassing a defense (teammates) that doesn't see the game unless a starter is tired or hurt.
    I'm not sure that, this time, he meant that it was bad. I was impressed with his honest assessment of how BC used to run the Spring game.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    Nothing wrong with being honest....we have a long way to for national relevance and when you see the top 5 type squads you see we are closer to 20-25 than 10-5 and that really bums me out
    Couldn't agree more with the "being honest" comment. However, just being honest with us about your opinions does not necessarily mean that your opinion is factual. My opinion is that we (Huskers) have been hanging around in the 15/25 range and desperately trying to move into that 10 and above range (apparently that is the range that you and Mr. Matlock deem significant) and I am a patient enough and faithful enough fan to see and believe signs that I perceive in this program that we will move into the range that we are players in the national picture as far as championships are concerned. I am among the many fans here who suffered through the 23 years of ups and downs in the Tom Osborne era. We have just barely scratched the surface in the Pelini era and there are already the "fire Pelini" crowd that do not have even a modicum of patience to at least find out the direction that Bo is going to take this team. To them apparently going from 10-3 to 9-4 is a trend! To me Bo is in the infancy of his head coaching career and if he can manage a consistency in this formative part of his career, what will he be capable of once he matures? The facts are that the program may go south under his leadership, it may flat-line at a 9-4 constant or it may turn into another dynasty ------ none of us really know.

I for one, cannot wait to find out and I feel sorry for those of you who can't seem to enjoy the ride. I am just happy to be among those who have a positive slant on the future of this program. If things don't go the way I think they will, I will have to have an attitude adjustment then.

GBR

Travel Squad
    I think it will be a fun year for us fans. Probably win a few as underdog, and, lose a few we probably shouldn't. I really don't have a sense we will be significantly better or worse overall. Sure, a few postions may standout one way or another. Because it's spring I have optimism. Come fall it will turn to realism. Late fall? Well, we'll see.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I didn't say it was good or bad, I really don't know. A few things I have observed over the years: BC tried to "wow" people with the game, Bo tries to make sure no one sees a thing, and TO and BD seemed to use the game to actually develop the team.
    Bo uses it for development also. He just keeps it basic to yes avoid showing too much of what they worked on during spring camp but also to limit injuries. It makes no sense to throw in a game plan or scheme for a team you won't be facing for another 5 months. Just because its basic doesn't mean they aren't being developed. Some times basics is what the team needs to make sure is developed because that's what hinders the team most. (can we say fumbles galore)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip Abdullah says NU offense will be "like a storm." I asked what type of storm. His reply: "What type of storm scares you most?" #Huskers

Red Shirt
    I feel like this year will be similar to last year, if not maybe a game better. We will lose 2 games to better teams and will probably slip up once because of the grind. Hopefully we can win our bowl game and get to 10 wins.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorageHusker View Post
    So is there any analysis as to the specific problems that any team has had that you'd accept?
    It is never OK for a coach to make excuses for his team. It is OK for the administration and fans to cut their coach some slack (make some excuses) at times. Normally, this would be reserved for a coach that had significant prior success and for a coach than did not continually need excuses to rely on. We've heard 4 years of excuses (prior coach, refs hate us, injuries, penalties, lack of depth, coaches saying "we can't do it for them", staff changes, offensive changes, bad breaks, etc., ad nausem). At this point, 4 years in, with only marginal success, we need to quit making or listening to excuses for poor performance and poor coaching. It is time for results.

I mean seriously, is there any analysis besides "fire the coach" that's acceptable to you?
    I haven't seriously pushed for that yet, because I know TO won't do it until BP is to trainwreck status. That will take at least 2 years, likely more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Bo Pelini sycophant, but I think that not analyzing the difficulties that we've had is stupid and you might as well not post at all.
    The HC has a job and that is to analyze the difficulties and FIX THEM. There's been plenty of analysis, just not much fixing. But, this year they have lots of returning starters, great depth, a stable offense with a 2 year starting QB...so maybe the fixing is ready to show up. I know one thing, absent the unspeakable, I don't know of an excuse that ANY Nebraska fan should accept for a season that isn't better than last year.

Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    Specifically, where do you see our talent lacking?
    COACHING