Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: OWH-Lee Barfknecht: Strickland in running for spot on NU staff

Varsity

OWH-Lee Barfknecht: Strickland in running for spot on NU staff

It's been mentioned on talk radio recently. Lee fills us in with a little more info in an article in today's OWH.

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012041...ot-on-nu-staff

LINCOLN — Erick Strickland, a Nebraska basketball Hall of Famer and a nine-year NBA veteran, is set to meet with new Husker coach Tim Miles on Wednesday to discuss a possible staff position.

"I'm excited about it," Miles said Tuesday.

Strickland, 38, is a former Bellevue West and Nebraska standout who now lives in Dallas. He told The World-Herald in early February about his desire to get into coaching, especially if it happened at NU.

"I love Nebraska basketball, and I want it to be the best it can be," Strickland said at the time.
    Article continues in link above.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

Cake or Death?
    Wouldn't mind seeing Strickland join the staff. He would certainly bring a passion about Husker Hoops to the table and would also be able to sell that NU can be successful in basketball.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

#1 Husker Fan
    Everything I am reading points to Craig Smith getting the job and not Strickland. It looks like CSU will be hiring former Oregon coach Craig Neal. So with Smith not getting the job he was in the running for, he will get the final spot on Coach Miles team.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by SBHusker View Post
    Everything I am reading points to Craig Smith getting the job and not Strickland. It looks like CSU will be hiring former Oregon coach Craig Neal. So with Smith not getting the job he was in the running for, he will get the final spot on Coach Miles team.
    There are other positions available within the basketball program rather than just the open asst. position. It would give Strick the chance to cut his teeth and possibly move into a coaching position in the future.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

Recruit

I think it would be a smart move. Still way to many people that question Miles hire. Bringing Strick on the staff would relax some of those questions. Here is a question though for all those that think he would bring new life into local recruiting: How many of the high school kids now would remember who Strickland is? I even ask how many coaches are still around from when he played.

I do think with his NBA ties and the fact he was a Husker himself, he will add a bunch of stock to the team because he has been there and done that.

Scout Team
    I just think that with his passion for NU it would be a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruddman23 View Post
    I think it would be a smart move. Still way to many people that question Miles hire. Bringing Strick on the staff would relax some of those questions. Here is a question though for all those that think he would bring new life into local recruiting: How many of the high school kids now would remember who Strickland is? I even ask how many coaches are still around from when he played.

I do think with his NBA ties and the fact he was a Husker himself, he will add a bunch of stock to the team because he has been there and done that.

Junior Varsity
    Is Craig Smith good at coaching the Bigs? I want whoever we get knows how to coach the Bigs
    The Skunk Has Spoken!

I swear skunk was squeezin my buttocks !
    Skunkman's nose nailed this one.
    Never squat with yer spurs on.
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer
    "You gotta watch the Skunkman."
    I don't want to ruin Skunk's rep, but I have to report that he is a very hospitable and generous guy, besides being a super Husker fan.

Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    Eh, let him GA. I'd prefer some coaching experience.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

Steaming Weenie

Strick or a guy who has coached? Sounds like easy decision. If people question Miles' qualifications to coach on the B1G, you really have to question hiring an Asst with no experience. The GA nod for Strick may be the way to go

GA or operation.

Husker Fan

GA is the best option for Strickland at this point IMO.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by SBHusker View Post
    Larry Eustachy got the CSU job.

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by BGRed View Post
    Larry Eustachy got the CSU job.
    Isn't that amazing?

Who in the world would've been interested in the CSU job, if they had any other options, BEFORE the work that Miles has performed there?