Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best blood pressure medicine?

Best blood pressure medicine?

I'm 45 and have stage 1 hypertension. Anyone out there on blood pressure med? I'm looking for the one with the least side effects, and generic if possible. Experiences?
    "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy, Wuzzy?"

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by WestTexasHusker View Post
    I'm 45 and have stage 1 hypertension. Anyone out there on blood pressure med? I'm looking for the one with the least side effects, and generic if possible. Experiences?

have your liver checked first...many high blood pressure meds are toxic to the liver

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    have your liver checked first...many high blood pressure meds are toxic to the liver
    Metabolized by the liver is not the same thing as toxic. But you are correct, any good MD would check the liver and kidney function before prescribing a chronic medication.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by jikastew View Post
    Metabolized by the liver is not the same thing as toxic. But you are correct, any good MD would check the liver and kidney function before prescribing a chronic medication.
    I would agree but
    there are three types of toxicity, dose dependent, idiosyncratic and drug allergy

dose dependent example would be the over use of acetaminophin

idiosyncratic would be a gene a few folk have that that keeps the liver from metabolizing the drug causing a build up of the drug in the liver causing toxicity

drug allergy can cause the the liver to be affected by the immune system attacking the the drug with antibodies and immune cells ( white blood cells)

so we agree...get your liver checked

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

I've found that beer works best for my high blood pressure...though, it also can have some long term liver effects.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Husker Immortal
    lisinopril works wonders for me. always check with your doctor.

Husker Immortal
    also take a full strength bayer aspirin daily

Red Shirt

Exercise and eat healthy and you, most likely, won't need any medication...now, I don't know the rules about this, and if I can't do this mods feel free to delete this, but the link below is to my business Facebook page which is where I put all my free content including daily quotes, weekly workout videos, nutrition facts, etc...so, for those interested feel free to join my business page and again if I'm breaking any rules please delete.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Premi...s/118706027893
    I am nothing without the grace of God

Heisman
    A good dose of cardiac excercise (three or four times a week), on your off days try some light weights and consentrate on reps not the weight amount, a healthy low fat diet (try to eat 5-6 small meals a day), quit smoking if applicable, get rid of love handles if applicable, try practicing yoga or pilates, practice deeeep breathing (oxygen is king for self healing) and limit alcohol. If these measures don't provide relief........try standing up tall with your arms extended towards heaven, take a deep deep breathe, while exhaling, bend over from the waste till your head is in the proximity of your knees and kiss yourass goodbye

Seriously I brought my bp down to an acceptable level by doing the above. good luck and take care of your wonderful self

'Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
    Too noble to neglect
    Deceived me into thinking
    I had something to protect
    Good and bad, I define these terms
    Quite clear, no doubt, somehow
    Ah, but I was so much older then
    I'm younger than that now.'

All American
    Leaving a very high stress job was the best medicine for me
    What one person receives without working for, another person must work for
    without receiving.

All Legend
    Run....

When they checked my pulse before my last doc appointment, it was 38

Sitting just quietly under the cork tree, smelling the flowers
    Agree with the exercise comments. My pulse is generally around 55 BPM, and at the last visit my doc was a bit worried that my BP was around 105/65. My cholesterol is a bit high but that is a different matter.

Also consider a few things about the circumstances under which it is measured:

- If you have a cup or two of coffee before having it taken, it can cause it to go up a fair amount. That is a temporary spike; it usually would go down after an hour or two.

- If you eat right before hand, it can cause similar spiking especially with certain foods or a very large meal

- After exercising, it will go up too.

You may want to have it taken a few different times a day a few days a week, to see if there are variations or a pattern if it does change significantly.

Many drug stores have a tester you can use for like $0.50 - $1.

You can get a small battery operated tester for very cheap and do it at home. We got one of these for my father-in-law, and tested it out before giving it to him. The results were pretty accurate but this type of device should supplement the doctor's "official" measurement.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-Bp710-Au...4146602&sr=1-6

What is your BP?

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    Run....

When they checked my pulse before my last doc appointment, it was 38
    This. I used to be tachycardic (resting hear rate avg 104). I started exercising, and within 6 months of exercise and proper eating, I shed enough weight to have a resting rate of 58.

Plus, avoid the HM Cafe. And attend regular scotch-tastings.

Antediluvian Abrasiveness
    I only take blood pressure medication so I can keep on drinking and smoking.

Husker Immortal
    I agree fully with the positive effect of diet and exercise. In addition, don't underestimate the value of some form of stress management training and/or relaxation training. Stress management is essentially adrenal management and this impacts BP, obviously.

If you must have an anti-hypertensive, (and after thorough bloodwork), the ACE Inhibitors (lisinopril, altace, captopril, etc.) are probably the most popular drugs of choice. In addition to not having significant adverse affects, they are also the least sexually toxic of the anti-hypertensives. The Calcium Channel Blockers are also not to bad in this regard, but beware of the thiazides, diuretics, CNS agents, beta blockers, and vasodilators as they all will have an ED effect.
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno

Stress management training is poly-syllabic way of saying "Pink" and "Floyd".

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    That can work
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post

Stay out of the Cafe

Exercise + Yoga + Healthy Diet with plenty of of fruits and veggie + Healthy Active Sex - (processed foods, trans fats, execess sugars and sodium, simple carbs, smoking)