Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real Unemployment

Antediluvian Abrasiveness
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer View Post
    the last number I saw on those not looking is 88 million.
    I'm willing to bet that the number of people who aren't looking is a lot higher than that. A good portion of those who are receiving unemployment benefits aren't looking. They're simply filling out the paperwork on line and hitting send. There is little to no auditing occurring. It's become a huge scam.

Husker Immortal
    http://www.policymic.com/articles/66.../category_list

That’s close to double what the administration and the Labor Department are reporting. Millions of men and women have been out of work so long that they have simply given up. They’re no longer looking, so they are no longer counted as unemployed. And the numbers only continue to get worse the more someone digs. The number of people who are currently not in the labor force has soared to nearly 88 million.

Husker Immortal

now I don't know if these are all pub propoganda as what I did was type in "number of people not looking for work" and these are three responses that showed up as a result of the google search.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I'm willing to bet that the number of people who aren't looking is a lot higher than that. A good portion of those who are receiving unemployment benefits aren't looking. They're simply filling out the paperwork on line and hitting send. There is little to no auditing occurring. It's become a huge scam.
    It's been happening a long time too. When I was in college, I worked during the summer doing seasonal work with former high school classmates. They were perfectly content to draw unemployment during the winter months. That was 35 years ago.

That’s close to double what the administration and the Labor Department are reporting. Millions of men and women have been out of work so long that they have simply given up. They’re no longer looking, so they are no longer counted as unemployed. And the numbers only continue to get worse the more someone digs. The number of people who are currently not in the labor force has soared to nearly 88 million.

If you put enough lipstick on that pig, it almost looks pretty!

Society Crazy Indeed
    thanks and here is a good explanation where they come up with numbers and your link and this one shows the unemployed at roughly 15 %

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

All Legend
    One of the things we need to remember is that the size of the retiree population is increasing rapidly. I don't know how that figures into the number directly but you can't take pre-baby boomer retirement numbers and compare them directly to numbers now that the baby boomers are at retirement age.
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post

those people are counted according to BLS

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    those people are counted according to BLS
    Counted as unemployed? Yeah, I know that. I was making a different point. Many, many people are gaming the system. And it's not a difficult thing to do. They could hire more people and conduct more audits, but that's kind of a catch-22.

BTW, once we got past the strawmen and the attempts to formulate other's opinions for them, this has been a good discussion. See folks? It is possible.

And I think CT has knocked this one out of the park. It is gone-dola...