Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Davison: Huskers won't win with only in-state recruits

Davison: Huskers won't win with only in-state recruits

I don't get why Matt Davison thinks that coach Miles only plans to recruit from within the state. Where did coach Miles say that he plans to mainly recruit locally?

SIOUX CITY -- If new Nebraska head coach Tim Miles is going to win basketball games, he may to have to tweak his recruiting strategy a bit.

At least, that's the opinion of Matt Davison, a former NU sports star and current Husker Network commentator who was in town Wednesday night speaking at the 43rd Annual Sertoma Club Sports Banquet.

Read more: http://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/b...#ixzz1rC9jFgks

Medical Redshirt
    [QUOTE=RedDog;901482]I don't get why Matt Davison thinks that coach Miles only plans to recruit from within the state. Where did coach Miles say that he plans to mainly recruit locally?

I believe it is because he had three Nebraska Preps starting or playing for CSU this year.

[QUOTE=Skerm;901495]
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDog View Post
    I don't get why Matt Davison thinks that coach Miles only plans to recruit from within the state. Where did coach Miles say that he plans to mainly recruit locally?

I believe it is because he had three Nebraska Preps starting or playing for CSU this year.
    I guess I can understand that but why be critical at this point? Also, how can you tell a coach not to do what he does best when he was just in the NCCAA Tournament with those same Nebraska boys that Davison is saying he should not be recruiting.

I will take it that he means it will work in the Mountain West but not in the Big 10.

Husker Fan

I guess I can understand that but why be critical at this point? Also, how can you tell a coach not to do what he does best when he was just in the NCCAA Tournament with those same Nebraska boys that Davison is saying he should not be recruiting.

I will take it that he means it will work in the Mountain West but not in the Big 10.
    1. Where was he critical of miles? Answer: He wasn't. At all. Not even on iota.

2. Your last sentence is exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    1. Where was he critical of miles? Answer: He wasn't. At all. Not even on iota.

2. Your last sentence is exactly right.
    I feel it is petty for Davidson to make the remark that Miles is going to have to "tweak his strategy a bit". I feel it was condescending for him to make that remark. That is how I felt when I read it and I guess you read it differently. I feel it was a poke at Miles with Davidson standing at his podium.

Basically I feel he said "he ain't gonna be able to bring that bush-league crap in here cuz we are the big boys".

Cake or Death?
    I feel it is petty for Davidson to make the remark that Miles is going to have to "tweak his strategy a bit". I feel it was condescending for him to make that remark. That is how I felt when I read it and I guess you read it differently. I feel it was a poke at Miles with Davidson standing at his podium.

Basically I feel he said "he ain't gonna be able to bring that bush-league crap in here cuz we are the big boys".
    I honestly don't see how you can take anything negative out of the article. He said he thinks Miles is the right guy, that he can't just take a Nebraska because he is a Nebraska kid, but that if he is worthy you have to lock him down. What's to disagree with here? I diidn't find anything condescending in that article whatsoever.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

Husker Fan

Wow...you might wanna dial back the coffee consumption a wee bit!

The problem with reading the remark and not hearing the remark is your missing 93% of what he is saying. You don't hear his tone or see his body language so you don't really know the context of the remark. They say communication is 7% the words your saying and 93% non verbals. (Learned that in school yesterday)

All Big 10
    "True leadership is defined as social influence -- the ability to get the most out of those around you," Davison said.

I think Davison is quite well spoken, for a bald man.

The signature I set in August 2014: Bo Pelini to his players: "It doesn't matter where you start ... It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

What Bo Pelini told his players after he was fired: "because of the environment that's here....I think you guys feel that. Am I right or wrong? It's a b---- here."

Davidson is stating what others have said here before. In-state recruits are nice from a feel good standpoint but NU needs NBA talent to comment in league regardless of hometown.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    Davidson is stating what others have said here before. In-state recruits are nice from a feel good standpoint but NU needs NBA talent to comment in league regardless of hometown.

Nobody with any sense ever said any different. But convenient of YOU to disregard the statement that Davison made regarding two "equal" players...one from Nebraska and one from somewhere else. He said you take the Nebraska kid. Which is what several people were trying to get through to you but, as I recall, you steadfastly refused to accept the logic.

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Nobody with any sense ever said any different. But convenient of YOU to disregard the statement that Davison made regarding two "equal" players...one from Nebraska and one from somewhere else. He said you take the Nebraska kid. Which is what several people were trying to get through to you but, as I recall, you steadfastly refused to accept the logic.
    He knows who he works for and who his audience is.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    He knows who he works for and who his audience is.
    Ok I'm going to put my two cents in here. If a kid is good enough to play for the valley or any other mid major, and Nebraska has a roster spot open we at least have to show interest, if not try to sign the kid. Coach Miles said in his introduction presser that a study done I believe by some Duke students showed that winning was correlated to crowd attendence and student involvement. The question was what comes first, the winning or the crowd attendence? It was shown that the crowds showing up first led to winning programs. Coach Miles knows that one of the easiest ways to put butts in the seats is to involve in state kids. Also it creates buzz around the state about Nebraska Basketball. It's simply one of the easiest ways to win your crowd base. And it needs to be done. We needed Mike Gessel. We now MUST have Akoy Agau.