Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Notre Dame vs Baylor

  1. #1
    Junior Varsity
    rw120555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    South Bend, IN
    Posts
    5,579

    Notre Dame vs Baylor

    Is anybody here still watching Women's Basketball? ND versus UConn was a thriller tonight. I'm not sure if Baylor has been in serious trouble late in the game all season. The Irish will have to be at their best to win Tuesday night.
    "rw, you're a reasonable guy." Sonuvahusker, August 3, 2004

  2. #2
    Husker Immortal
    carrolltonsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Posts
    134,379
    I think Baylor will win pretty easily, but I am rooting for Notre Dame. I am not a Baylor fan.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)


  3. #3
    Scout Team

    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    4,921
    They mentioned on ESPN that no Div 1 team has ever gone 40-0 before.....

  4. #4
    Husker Immortal
    carrolltonsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Posts
    134,379
    Quote Originally Posted by OPHusker View Post
    They mentioned on ESPN that no Div 1 team has ever gone 40-0 before.....
    It will happen this year. Baylor is in a league of their own right now.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)


  5. #5
    Husker Immortal
    ThotDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland
    Posts
    65,527
    Griner is a beast. Stanford had a lot of talent and Baylor just wore them down. If Baylor can beat the #2 team in Stanford handily, they can beat the Irish.
    "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." C. S. Lewis



  6. #6
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    8,869
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Griner is a beast. Stanford had a lot of talent and Baylor just wore them down. If Baylor can beat the #2 team in Stanford handily, they can beat the Irish.
    Agree. Baylor-Stanford was the championship game. Does anyone know why Stanford, who was the clear #2 this year with only one loss and a 30+ game winning streak, was essentially the fourth seed of the No. 1's and therefore had to face Baylor in the semi's, instead of the finals? I am sure UConn and ND were also not too happy that they had to play each other for the fourth time this year because of that.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  7. #7
    Junior Varsity
    rw120555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    South Bend, IN
    Posts
    5,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Agree. Baylor-Stanford was the championship game. Does anyone know why Stanford, who was the clear #2 this year with only one loss and a 30+ game winning streak, was essentially the fourth seed of the No. 1's and therefore had to face Baylor in the semi's, instead of the finals? I am sure UConn and ND were also not too happy that they had to play each other for the fourth time this year because of that.
    I was expecting and would have preferred Baylor - UConn and Stanford - ND in the semis. But the committee said the seedings (in order) were Baylor, ND, UConn, and Stanford. Strength of schedule was apparently a major factor. Stanford did have the easiest schedule, and did lose to the best team it played, UConn. I get tired of ND - UConn playing so much, but so long as ND wins I guess it is OK by me. Stanford has a great program but playing in a weak conference probably doesn't help it any, either in terms of getting prepped or getting higher seeded.
    "rw, you're a reasonable guy." Sonuvahusker, August 3, 2004

  8. #8
    Junior Varsity
    rw120555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    South Bend, IN
    Posts
    5,579
    Don't underestimate the Irish. This is how they start training their female athletes from a very young age. It is little wonder that they are virtually unbeatable by the time they are in their twenties.

    "rw, you're a reasonable guy." Sonuvahusker, August 3, 2004

  9. #9
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    8,869
    Quote Originally Posted by rw120555 View Post
    I was expecting and would have preferred Baylor - UConn and Stanford - ND in the semis. But the committee said the seedings (in order) were Baylor, ND, UConn, and Stanford. Strength of schedule was apparently a major factor. Stanford did have the easiest schedule, and did lose to the best team it played, UConn. I get tired of ND - UConn playing so much, but so long as ND wins I guess it is OK by me. Stanford has a great program but playing in a weak conference probably doesn't help it any, either in terms of getting prepped or getting higher seeded.
    Yes, you are probably right, rw. I just think they could have easily justified Stanford being a 2 or 3 and thereby avoided the ND-UConn re, re, re-match, unless it would have been in the finals, which actually probably would have brought in a lot of viewers, just because they had played so much this year.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  10. #10
    Husker Immortal
    ThotDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland
    Posts
    65,527
    Baylor wins more easily tonight over the Irish than Kentucky did last night over Kansas.
    "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." C. S. Lewis



  11. #11
    Scout Team
    Husker in Spokane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Not Spokane
    Posts
    4,185
    I'd say the Irish came to play. Baylor looks sluggish!
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music!

  12. #12
    Junior Varsity
    rw120555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    South Bend, IN
    Posts
    5,579
    Irish cut a 14 point lead down to 6. All my screaming at them seems to be paying off. Everything seems to have been going wrong for them but they are still in it. If ND's cold shooting can improve, they still have a shot.
    "rw, you're a reasonable guy." Sonuvahusker, August 3, 2004

  13. #13
    Husker Immortal
    ThotDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland
    Posts
    65,527
    Baylor rules!! Up 19 and dominating
    "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." C. S. Lewis



  14. #14
    Husker Immortal
    ThotDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland
    Posts
    65,527
    Baylor put it away with a 14-0 second half run.
    "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." C. S. Lewis



  15. #15
    Husker Immortal
    ThotDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland
    Posts
    65,527
    Final as Baylor finishes the season 40-0

    Baylor 80
    Notre Dame 61
    "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." C. S. Lewis



  16. #16
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    8,869
    As I said, the final was Sunday night v. Stanford.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  17. #17
    Junior Varsity
    rw120555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    South Bend, IN
    Posts
    5,579
    Novosel & Peters had terrible nights for the Irish. Sad way to end their careers. If they'd had even mediocre games the score could have been respectable. But Griner was phenomenal and not to be denied, and she had a great supporting cast. Baylor wasn't seriously challenged once all year.

    But of the teams I follow and care about, I have to say that the Irish women are by far and away the best. After all the mediocrity in both Notre Dame and Nebraska football, it is refreshing to see a team that plays its hearts out, wins a lot of major battles, and contends for the National Championship.
    "rw, you're a reasonable guy." Sonuvahusker, August 3, 2004

  18. #18
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    63,384
    Congratulations to the Baylor ladies on their winning the NCAA championship.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •