Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Jamie Moyer

Husker Fan

Thumbs up Jamie Moyer

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/st...rting-rotation

49 years old... and he's earned himself a spot in the Rockies' starting rotation! That's absolutely fantastic! He'll be the game two starter for Colorado... and if he earns a win, he'll be the oldest MLB player to ever win as starting pitcher!

Gotta root for the guy! Heck, he's a Phillie at heart -- but I'll still root hard for the old man.

Red Shirt
    Great story he is indeed, but i consider him a Mariner at heart!
    The hard is what makes it great.

or Cub or Red Sox or Ranger or Oriole or Cardinal....I just think it cool that there is still a guy playing that was playing when I was in 6th grade

Red Shirt
    Plus he is he's coming off Tommy John surgery and had a good spring, so this isn't a publicity thing, he's legit at 49! It will be interesting to see how he does during the season.

Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Glendale Husker View Post
    Great story he is indeed, but i consider him a Mariner at heart!
    Definitely Moyer's prime years. I just say Phillie at heart since he grew up in Philadelphia as a fan -- even attended the 1980 Phillies championship parade.

Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed Mosquito View Post
    Plus he is he's coming off Tommy John surgery and had a good spring, so this isn't a publicity thing, he's legit at 49! It will be interesting to see how he does during the season.
    Definitely legit. No team would want to waste a valuable roster spot for publicity -- so yes, he definitely earned it. Having watched Moyer pitch many times for the Phillies, he's a guy who is either close to unhittable -- or will get absolutely shelled. There's no in-between with him. I really hope he has a solid season.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerWeatherman View Post
    Definitely legit. No team would want to waste a valuable roster spot for publicity -- so yes, he definitely earned it. Having watched Moyer pitch many times for the Phillies, he's a guy who is either close to unhittable -- or will get absolutely shelled. There's no in-between with him. I really hope he has a solid season.

I think your Phillies will be an interesting story to start the season, no Utley or Howard, but all the pitching. What is the vibe up there? I'll give you Billy Butler and Moustakas for Halladay and Lee !!!

Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed Mosquito View Post
    I think your Phillies will be an interesting story to start the season, no Utley or Howard, but all the pitching. What is the vibe up there? I'll give you Billy Butler and Moustakas for Halladay and Lee !!!
    Hah, no deal!

The vibe is definitely not was it was the past 3-4 seasons. Yes, plenty of pitching... but probably the worst collection of offense I've seen in many years. And, the NL East teams are improving. Certainly no lock for the Phillies this season.

If you could combine the Phillies pitching with the Royals young bats -- you'd have a World Series champ.

If I were him I would have tried to catch on in San Diego...huge pitchers park.....him pitching in Coors could get ugly

Husker Immortal
    I remember Jamie Moyer as an Oriole. I hope he plays into his 50s.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    If I were him I would have tried to catch on in San Diego...huge pitchers park.....him pitching in Coors could get ugly
    Gotta' grab what you can, being 49, right? Hey, if he does well, he can always go to San Diego, if they want him badly enough? One season at a time.

If he has a problem in Denver, as so many do, San Diego can "measure" the difference, right?

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    I remember Jamie Moyer as an Oriole. I hope he plays into his 50s.
    Seems, that isn't very far away!!

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    Colorado signed him to a minor-league deal, so I don't think he had choices!

Medical Redshirt
    I think he is a Rocky at heart!!

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Skerm View Post
    I think he is a Rocky at heart!!
    He better be for his and their sake! I really think of him as a Cub...Steve Stone was in love with him and I liked how Harry introduced him (or anybody for that matter)
    The hard is what makes it great.