Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: La Raza & presente.org Throwing Zimmerman Under the Bus?

La Raza & presente.org Throwing Zimmerman Under the Bus?

"The fact that George Zimmerman is Latino is irrelevant to his actions," [said Lisa]Navarette, who is an adviser to Murguia, said in response to the criticism. "Personally that's the media's fault. Everything has to fit into a narrative and a paradigm. Initially it was a white guy who shot a black kid. Now they've split the difference," she said.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2012-03-28/p..._s=PM:POLITICS

So La Raza seems to be blaming the media for their narrative? Wow. It's a good thing she brought that up. I wonder if that has been discussed here on the BBS?

So is the online Latino community presente.org
    “The Latino community joins the African-American community and other communities in condemning George Zimmerman as what he is – a murderer and a racist,” Roberto Lovato, co-founder of the online Latino advocacy organization Presente.org, told The Daily Caller.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/29/la...#ixzz1qhstAixW
    Curious. I'm not sure I've heard that from La Raza before. I mean, turning their backs on one of "the race".

Read that, sounds like a cop out as racism in the Hispanic community particularly towards blacks is pretty well known as an issue.

Only other extenuating circumstance I can think of is that being in Florida, there has always been an uneasy relationship between Cubans and other Hispanic groups. First they don't have the immigration issues when they arrive, they are citizens. Historically, the first waves of Cuban immigrants were wealthy and white. Cubans have also been known to be quite prejudice when it comes to other Hispanics or even black Cubans. Don't even know if Zimmerman is in fact Cuban to go along with his white background, but that might explain la raza's hesitancy.

Also, I believe la raza's philosophy has to do with the mixing if white and indigenous blood to make a new race...Cubans are more a mix of black and white. La Raza has a strange racist background itself.

I like that the other group is not hesitant to call Zimmerman a racist. Shows consistency to me, not "throwing under the bus".

I have a much bigger problem with people who bend over backward to defend racism because they think the perpetrator was one of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    I like that the other group is not hesitant to call Zimmerman a racist. Shows consistency to me, not "throwing under the bus".

I have a much bigger problem with people who bend over backward to defend racism because they think the perpetrator was one of their own.
    Generally, that's what I've seen from La Raza. And Konnan.