Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: New article from the OWH on Cravens

Recruit

New article from the OWH on Cravens

Here is the link from the front page of huskermax

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/03/30/r...ot-on-huskers/

I hope we stay on this kid, he looks like a stud. Sounds like he's only heard about NU and doesn't actually know too much about it. Hoepfully he is blown away by his visit

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker10 View Post
    Here is the link from the front page of huskermax

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/03/30/r...ot-on-huskers/

I hope we stay on this kid, he looks like a stud. Sounds like he's only heard about NU and doesn't actually know too much about it. Hoepfully he is blown away by his visit
    Agree completely. Getting these kids away from the sunny beaches is very hard.

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerGene View Post
    Agree completely. Getting these kids away from the sunny beaches is very hard.
    Well, he's not exactly near the sunny beaches being from murrieta, but you have the right idea. Most kids in southern california want to go to USC (don't know why, it's location is awful) or UCLA (tough to disagree with wanting to go there from academic point of view and it is an awesome campus). I felt the tone of the article implied he was going to give us a "courtesy" visit since people he trusts told him great things about NU and he should check it out. Obviously, the staff is doing their due diligence and building a relationship, but I think we're fighting an uphill battle. I hope i'm wrong and he's blown away when he sees what NU has to offer, but I think it's going to be tough to get him out of Socal considering he can pretty much write his ticket anywhere he wants.

Husker Immortal
    Yeah, I don't think I will hold my breath waiting for his commit.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Well, he's not exactly near the sunny beaches being from murrieta, but you have the right idea. Most kids in southern california want to go to USC (don't know why, it's location is awful) or UCLA (tough to disagree with wanting to go there from academic point of view and it is an awesome campus). I felt the tone of the article implied he was going to give us a "courtesy" visit since people he trusts told him great things about NU and he should check it out. Obviously, the staff is doing their due diligence and building a relationship, but I think we're fighting an uphill battle. I hope i'm wrong and he's blown away when he sees what NU has to offer, but I think it's going to be tough to get him out of Socal considering he can pretty much write his ticket anywhere he wants.
    Yeah, academics. When those 2 guys for 2012 recruiting class failed admission standards at NU and were immediately gobbled up by UCLA. Interesting backdrop to that tail of UCLA academics.

Scout Team
    Honest question about Husker academics. I don't follow recruiting enough so hopefully someone can enlighten me. Is Nu tougher or easier than most to get in. Once they are in I know the support staff is EXCELLENT in regards to tutoring, but how does Nu stack up when you compare education value or what ever you want to call it when someone graduates with a degree from Nebraska. I know we are not Harvard and I didn't blame Peat for going to Stanford but where do we actually stand when it comes to degrees from Nebraska.

Thank you.

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by joncarl View Post
    Honest question about Husker academics. I don't follow recruiting enough so hopefully someone can enlighten me. Is Nu tougher or easier than most to get in. Once they are in I know the support staff is EXCELLENT in regards to tutoring, but how does Nu stack up when you compare education value or what ever you want to call it when someone graduates with a degree from Nebraska. I know we are not Harvard and I didn't blame Peat for going to Stanford but where do we actually stand when it comes to degrees from Nebraska.

Thank you.
    I'm not sure if UCLA makes concessions for athletes more than any other school, but if you're trying to get admitted strictly as a scholar, it's not even a comparision as to which school is more highly regarded.

AVG Acceptance rate: UNL- 62% UCLA-22%

Admission Standards: UNL- Average UCLA- Very Hard

AVG SAT Score: UNL- 1040-1320 UCLA- 1730-2100

AVG ACT Score: UNL- 22-28 UCLA- 24-31

http://collegeprowler.com/university...ka----lincoln/

http://collegeprowler.com/university...--los-angeles/

http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/Prosp...osh_Prof11.htm

I know this is just one website's statistics, but I'd be shocked if you found anything that pointed to the contrary. The UC system is top notch, with UCLA and UC Berkley as the flagship campuses

If we were able to lock up Mathis, it would go a long way in Cravens' recruitment. We already have Whitaker which is a significant reason Cravens has Nebraska in his head. If we had Whitaker AND Mathis, our odds would skyrocket.

Heisman
    I'm not sure if UCLA makes concessions for athletes more than any other school, but if you're trying to get admitted strictly as a scholar, it's not even a comparision as to which school is more highly regarded.

I know this is just one website's statistics, but I'd be shocked if you found anything that pointed to the contrary. The UC system is top notch, with UCLA and UC Berkley as the flagship campuses
    I'd say based on what you posted, that they DO make concessions for athletes. Especially when they were guys we passed on.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.

I graduated from UC San Diego and the admissons standards were very, very tough....the UC system only took the top 10% of high school seniors in the state and at the time you had to have a minimum 3.2 (out of 4) GPA to even qualify....

I can't comment on Nebraska because I didn't go there.....

AVG Acceptance rate: UNL- 62% UCLA-22%

Admission Standards: UNL- Average UCLA- Very Hard

AVG SAT Score: UNL- 1040-1320 UCLA- 1730-2100

AVG ACT Score: UNL- 22-28 UCLA- 24-31

http://collegeprowler.com/university...ka----lincoln/

http://collegeprowler.com/university...--los-angeles/

http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/Prosp...osh_Prof11.htm

Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Message Board Wizard
    Nebraska wasn't tough 40 years ago. They let me in.

Going to be a tough hoe....

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    If we were able to lock up Mathis, it would go a long way in Cravens' recruitment. We already have Whitaker which is a significant reason Cravens has Nebraska in his head. If we had Whitaker AND Mathis, our odds would skyrocket.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    I know your and RR's "hunches" are usually pretty spot on, where do you put our odds with Mathis? And since we're at it, Cravens?

Recruit
    delete

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_BugEater View Post
    I'd say based on what you posted, that they DO make concessions for athletes. Especially when they were guys we passed on.
    Can't really argue with you based on what we've seen the last year or two. I'm pretty sure most, but not all, schools make concessions to some degree. You'd think it be proportional though... I'm wondering if it was a GPA/Standardized test score thing or more that the recruits didn't have all of the qualifying classes that were required for admission. I'm pretty sure most HS prepare you for their home states' University or State system... I don't know that for sure, just speculating