Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: New article from the OWH on Cravens

  1. #1
    Recruit
    Husker10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    235

    New article from the OWH on Cravens

    Here is the link from the front page of huskermax

    http://sports.omaha.com/2012/03/30/r...ot-on-huskers/

    I hope we stay on this kid, he looks like a stud. Sounds like he's only heard about NU and doesn't actually know too much about it. Hoepfully he is blown away by his visit

  2. #2
    Red Shirt
    HuskerGene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South of North Omaha
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker10 View Post
    Here is the link from the front page of huskermax

    http://sports.omaha.com/2012/03/30/r...ot-on-huskers/

    I hope we stay on this kid, he looks like a stud. Sounds like he's only heard about NU and doesn't actually know too much about it. Hoepfully he is blown away by his visit
    Agree completely. Getting these kids away from the sunny beaches is very hard.

  3. #3
    Recruit
    Husker10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerGene View Post
    Agree completely. Getting these kids away from the sunny beaches is very hard.
    Well, he's not exactly near the sunny beaches being from murrieta, but you have the right idea. Most kids in southern california want to go to USC (don't know why, it's location is awful) or UCLA (tough to disagree with wanting to go there from academic point of view and it is an awesome campus). I felt the tone of the article implied he was going to give us a "courtesy" visit since people he trusts told him great things about NU and he should check it out. Obviously, the staff is doing their due diligence and building a relationship, but I think we're fighting an uphill battle. I hope i'm wrong and he's blown away when he sees what NU has to offer, but I think it's going to be tough to get him out of Socal considering he can pretty much write his ticket anywhere he wants.

  4. #4
    Husker Immortal
    carrolltonsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Posts
    134,277
    Yeah, I don't think I will hold my breath waiting for his commit.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)


  5. #5
    Guest

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker10 View Post
    Well, he's not exactly near the sunny beaches being from murrieta, but you have the right idea. Most kids in southern california want to go to USC (don't know why, it's location is awful) or UCLA (tough to disagree with wanting to go there from academic point of view and it is an awesome campus). I felt the tone of the article implied he was going to give us a "courtesy" visit since people he trusts told him great things about NU and he should check it out. Obviously, the staff is doing their due diligence and building a relationship, but I think we're fighting an uphill battle. I hope i'm wrong and he's blown away when he sees what NU has to offer, but I think it's going to be tough to get him out of Socal considering he can pretty much write his ticket anywhere he wants.
    Yeah, academics. When those 2 guys for 2012 recruiting class failed admission standards at NU and were immediately gobbled up by UCLA. Interesting backdrop to that tail of UCLA academics.

  6. #6
    Scout Team
    joncarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    4,053
    Honest question about Husker academics. I don't follow recruiting enough so hopefully someone can enlighten me. Is Nu tougher or easier than most to get in. Once they are in I know the support staff is EXCELLENT in regards to tutoring, but how does Nu stack up when you compare education value or what ever you want to call it when someone graduates with a degree from Nebraska. I know we are not Harvard and I didn't blame Peat for going to Stanford but where do we actually stand when it comes to degrees from Nebraska.

    Thank you.

  7. #7
    Recruit
    Husker10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by joncarl View Post
    Honest question about Husker academics. I don't follow recruiting enough so hopefully someone can enlighten me. Is Nu tougher or easier than most to get in. Once they are in I know the support staff is EXCELLENT in regards to tutoring, but how does Nu stack up when you compare education value or what ever you want to call it when someone graduates with a degree from Nebraska. I know we are not Harvard and I didn't blame Peat for going to Stanford but where do we actually stand when it comes to degrees from Nebraska.

    Thank you.
    I'm not sure if UCLA makes concessions for athletes more than any other school, but if you're trying to get admitted strictly as a scholar, it's not even a comparision as to which school is more highly regarded.

    AVG Acceptance rate: UNL- 62% UCLA-22%

    Admission Standards: UNL- Average UCLA- Very Hard

    AVG SAT Score: UNL- 1040-1320 UCLA- 1730-2100

    AVG ACT Score: UNL- 22-28 UCLA- 24-31

    http://collegeprowler.com/university...ka----lincoln/

    http://collegeprowler.com/university...--los-angeles/

    http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/Prosp...osh_Prof11.htm

    I know this is just one website's statistics, but I'd be shocked if you found anything that pointed to the contrary. The UC system is top notch, with UCLA and UC Berkley as the flagship campuses

  8. #8
    Moderator
    BornToBeRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    14,538
    If we were able to lock up Mathis, it would go a long way in Cravens' recruitment. We already have Whitaker which is a significant reason Cravens has Nebraska in his head. If we had Whitaker AND Mathis, our odds would skyrocket.

  9. #9
    Heisman
    USMC_BugEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    31,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker10 View Post
    I'm not sure if UCLA makes concessions for athletes more than any other school, but if you're trying to get admitted strictly as a scholar, it's not even a comparision as to which school is more highly regarded.

    I know this is just one website's statistics, but I'd be shocked if you found anything that pointed to the contrary. The UC system is top notch, with UCLA and UC Berkley as the flagship campuses
    I'd say based on what you posted, that they DO make concessions for athletes. Especially when they were guys we passed on.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    102,703
    I graduated from UC San Diego and the admissons standards were very, very tough....the UC system only took the top 10% of high school seniors in the state and at the time you had to have a minimum 3.2 (out of 4) GPA to even qualify....

    I can't comment on Nebraska because I didn't go there.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Husker10 View Post
    I'm not sure if UCLA makes concessions for athletes more than any other school, but if you're trying to get admitted strictly as a scholar, it's not even a comparision as to which school is more highly regarded.

    AVG Acceptance rate: UNL- 62% UCLA-22%

    Admission Standards: UNL- Average UCLA- Very Hard

    AVG SAT Score: UNL- 1040-1320 UCLA- 1730-2100

    AVG ACT Score: UNL- 22-28 UCLA- 24-31

    http://collegeprowler.com/university...ka----lincoln/

    http://collegeprowler.com/university...--los-angeles/

    http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/Prosp...osh_Prof11.htm

    I know this is just one website's statistics, but I'd be shocked if you found anything that pointed to the contrary. The UC system is top notch, with UCLA and UC Berkley as the flagship campuses
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  11. #11
    Message Board Wizard
    izzycohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    5,472
    Nebraska wasn't tough 40 years ago. They let me in.

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    102,703
    Going to be a tough hoe....

    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    If we were able to lock up Mathis, it would go a long way in Cravens' recruitment. We already have Whitaker which is a significant reason Cravens has Nebraska in his head. If we had Whitaker AND Mathis, our odds would skyrocket.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  13. #13
    Recruit
    Husker10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    If we were able to lock up Mathis, it would go a long way in Cravens' recruitment. We already have Whitaker which is a significant reason Cravens has Nebraska in his head. If we had Whitaker AND Mathis, our odds would skyrocket.
    I know your and RR's "hunches" are usually pretty spot on, where do you put our odds with Mathis? And since we're at it, Cravens?

  14. #14
    Recruit
    Husker10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    235
    delete

  15. #15
    Recruit
    Husker10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_BugEater View Post
    I'd say based on what you posted, that they DO make concessions for athletes. Especially when they were guys we passed on.
    Can't really argue with you based on what we've seen the last year or two. I'm pretty sure most, but not all, schools make concessions to some degree. You'd think it be proportional though... I'm wondering if it was a GPA/Standardized test score thing or more that the recruits didn't have all of the qualifying classes that were required for admission. I'm pretty sure most HS prepare you for their home states' University or State system... I don't know that for sure, just speculating


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •