Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: So THAT'S Why This Is So Effective!

Hybrid View

Sitting just quietly under the cork tree, smelling the flowers

So THAT'S Why This Is So Effective!

I was running low on Excedrin and a few other things so I went to the drug store this past weekend and saw they were out of stock on it. So I went to another one; same thing. So I checked this morning and still out of stock. Decided to google it in case of a recall and sure enough, there you go.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...oz-gasx-recall

My supply situation won't be desperate for a few more weeks, but dang, they better get it out soon or I will be jonesin'. I get fairly frequent headaches that are borderline migraine and occasional ones that are full-blown kill-me-now migraines, and Excedrin is the only thing that works (even if the really bad ones require 3 doses (spread out over time per directions).

The recall info did state that the danger is that you might have different pills mixed in with your desired ones, as opposed to the drug itself mixed into the pills. So check closely to make sure there aren't any different ones in the bottle.

e.g.- I take the gel coated ones which are green oblong capsules, so if I saw a white round pill it would be very noticeable. Other types might blend more easily in the bottle.

God of Huskermax

Kind of like a pharmaceutical Chex Mix!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Kind of like a pharmaceutical Chex Mix!!!
    lulz, an effective approach.

Society Crazy Indeed
    do you drink enough water?

Reason I am asking is...headaches are usually a secondary effect.

your body is saying ...I need..?

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Thanks Pops, I have considered that and it is a very good idea.

But one issue is my neck was broken at some point and didn't mend correctly (one of the vertebrae was broken in half and set off center so it sort of looks like a Z). I suspect that has something to do with it.

You would think a fella would know when something like that occurred, but I can think of a half dozen things that could have broken it. (Kickboxing throw that landed me on my head, football collision, diving accident, pretty horrific auto accident, slip during a flip on concrete, etc.) At that rate, I will be lucky to make it out of life alive I only discovered that it had been broken about a year ago when the doc took X-rays related to the headaches.

Another suspicion as to cause of the headaches actually is plain old stress. Also I spend most of the day staring at the computer and my glasses don't work all that well (have tried a lot of different approaches from bi- and multi-focals, readers, etc.)

The cause is likely a mix of all of the above.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Just asking because acetaminophen some scary stuff.

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by MilesBFree View Post
    I was running low on Excedrin and a few other things so I went to the drug store this past weekend and saw they were out of stock on it. So I went to another one; same thing. So I checked this morning and still out of stock. Decided to google it in case of a recall and sure enough, there you go.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...oz-gasx-recall

My supply situation won't be desperate for a few more weeks, but dang, they better get it out soon or I will be jonesin'. I get fairly frequent headaches that are borderline migraine and occasional ones that are full-blown kill-me-now migraines, and Excedrin is the only thing that works (even if the really bad ones require 3 doses (spread out over time per directions).
    Not sure which Excedrin you're taking, but its either acetaminophen by itself or acetaminophen along with aspirin (Excedrin Migraine) which should be extremely easy to substitute generics of (and save some money in the process.) Are you insisting on only Excedrin name brand??

Heisman
    Pop's is right on. Tylenol is effective, but plays hell on the liver. A neurosurgeon friend of mine recommended a couple hits on the pipe when I was having migraines.......worked wonders.
    ​le veau d'or

Good idea. Standard Excedrin is aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine. The Migraine version is EXACTLY the same stuff, in the same quantities. It seems more like a marketing thing. There are also versions such as the nighttime one that doesn't have caffeine.

I have tried taking aspirin, Tylenol, and having a double espresso, but it didn't seem to have the same effect.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by MilesBFree View Post
    Good idea. Standard Excedrin is aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine. The Migraine version is EXACTLY the same stuff, in the same quantities. It seems more like a marketing thing. There are also versions such as the nighttime one that doesn't have caffeine.

I have tried taking aspirin, Tylenol, and having a double espresso, but it didn't seem to have the same effect.
    I'd guess, but am not positive, that there are generics for "Excedrin" containing exactly the same mix of ingredients.

Heisman

Walgreen's exact duplicate generic:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...662226-product

Walmart's exact duplicate generic:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Mig...100ct/16554543

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by SamBass View Post
    Pop's is right on. Tylenol is effective, but plays hell on the liver. A neurosurgeon friend of mine recommended a couple hits on the pipe when I was having migraines.......worked wonders.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Walgreen's exact duplicate generic:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...662226-product

Walmart's exact duplicate generic:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Mig...100ct/16554543
    Sambass exact duplicate generic:

Purple Kush exact duplicate generic:

Scout Team
    I would also suggest looking into EMDR Therapy as it has helped my migraines among other things:

http://www.emdr-therapy.com/

It helps to manage the pain without drugs.
    Apparently I need to get a new sig line.

Also a good idea - most of the drugstores carry store-branded equivalents.