Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the new "JET" trophy out

Is the new "JET" trophy out

Is the picture of the tropy in the story on the front page a rendition or is that a pic of the actual one already made up for this years winner? It looked like the helmet of the returner had "N"s on it......couldn't really tell - no side shot. I know the Rimington tropy is made from Riola's body and Rimington's head, but there is not an N on the helmet

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie's Daddy View Post
    Is the picture of the tropy in the story on the front page a rendition or is that a pic of the actual one already made up for this years winner? It looked like the helmet of the returner had "N"s on it......couldn't really tell - no side shot. I know the Rimington tropy is made from Riola's body and Rimington's head, but there is not an N on the helmet
    From the press release:

“The Jet” award trophy was designed and cast by Omaha artist Joe Putjenter and depicts Rodgers’ escape from OU’s Greg Pruitt in the
    1971 NU/OU game

Administrator
    If you're Pruitt, you're probably thinking there's gotta be a better way to become immortalized on a trophy

I know Joe's son....Dan. Really cool guy!

Way to go, Johnny! This award has been a long time coming. It shoudl spur some young men to greater heights and efforts.

You would think there would be an award for this already but I'm glad NU got to put its mark on it. Maybe a Husker can win the first one.

Scout Team
    Sweet!

Scout Team
    If any Husker's gonna win it, it'll be Abdullah.

5 National Titles. 9 Undefeated Seasons. 50 Bowl Appearances. 43 Conference Championships. 10 Division Titles.

3 Heisman Winners. 54 Consensus All-Americans. 28 Major Award Winners. 23 College Football Hall of Famers.

There is No Place Like Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    If any Husker's gonna win it, it'll be Abdullah.

Man that was huge, the move he put on the kicker makes me laugh every time, talk about broken ankles lol... If he and someone like Turner can become legitimate return threats it will make NU that much tougher to prepare for and beat. We already know that Maher is a proven commodity at kicker and punter, if we can eliminate the bad tackling that was sometimes displayed by the younger guys on coverages last year and we continue to see electrifying plays like this one^^^^^ on returns increase in frequency NU will be back to where we were during the 90's in special teams. A good special teams unit can change a game like Ameer's return against Fresno, but what we need is consistent plays like this (1 or more a game) for the entire season. Between Abdullah, Bell, and Turner we have the weapons to score frequently in the return game, and if not score at least set up favorable field position.

Red Shirt
    So an organization from Omaha creates a new award for the best returner in College football. Of course they are going to be biased and claim that JR's punt return was the greatest ever using the criteria that it occured during the "greatest game ever." To me it seems like the award was created as much to promote the NU/OU 71 game as the true "Game of the century" as much as it is to honor the best returner in CF. Oh, well....since Nebraskans created the award I guess they are entitled to use it to bring recognition to whoever they want. I understand the winner gets a free trip to Omaha....will anyone really want to win this award?

Anyway...the JR punt return was a bit controversial. There were two potential clips on the play, and if either had been called, then this award most likely would not have been created, and perhaps NU would not have won that game in 1971. On the video (below) the first potential clip is on the punter, Joe Wylie, #22 (at mid field), and the 2nd one is on John Harrrison #12 (at the end of the play). I do not think that either one was a clip...they were both good "no calls", but they were close, and either one could have been called. Wylie definitely got blocked in the back but it was because he turned his back to the blocker just before the block as he was trying to change direction to tackle Rogers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJOlzDJiaDw

Here are two other points of view on the play...one from a fan from Tulsa Oklahoma and one from an article written by the Journals Star's Brian Christopherson back in 2001 when he was a writer for the Daily Nebraskan:

1. Dan Jenkins indicated that Joe Wylie was the last man to have a shot at tackling Johnny Rodgers on the first-quarter punt return. But the photograph on page 24 showed that the last Oklahoma defender with a chance was Jon Harrison, No. 12.

Films of the game have clearly and conclusively shown that Wylie was taken out of the play with a clip only 10 or 15 yards from where Rodgers gathered in the punt. John Atkins cut Wylie down from behind just as the Sooner speedster was ready to spill Rodgers. The intention here is not to downgrade a brilliant Cornhusker performance, only to correct a misconception.
    BILL SHANKS JR., Tulsa

2. From the 2001 Daily Nebraskan......"To many Oklahomans though, that Rodgers return made them sick to their stomach.

"The game had some controversial plays," said Bob Barry, the voice of the Sooners since 1961. "There were two alleged clips around these parts on the Rodgers return."

Clips? This must be news to Nebraskans. Thirty years later and you're going to bring the clip theory into play? Still questioned in the southern plains is a block delivered downfield on OU running back and punter Joe Wylie and the touchdown springing block delivered by NU cornerback Joe Blahak.

"From my vantage point, I saw a clip or two," Oklahoma quarterback Jack Mildren said. "But as my father the philosopher always said, 'I didn't see a flag. Did you?'"

Not surprisingly, Kinney said the play was clean. Even Wylie admitted he was only "half-blocked" anyway. Wylie said his falling down on the play can be more attributed to a half-dive attempt to tackle the slippery Rodgers."

Boisie State could create a new award for " The best blue football field in CF"....I'll bet they would win every year and bring recognition to their CF tradition at the same time......same principal that is being used by this new "best returner" award IMHO.

Nebraskans long for national recognition. It all started back in the 1920's when they started scheduling football games with Eastern teams like Pittsburg and Nortre Dame to get publicity from the Eastern press. That longing continues to this day, and this new award is evidence of that. The award is a "national award". It will be covered by the national media, and it will annually recognize the exploits of JR and the 1971 team for as long as the award exists. Not saying it is good or bad....just saying it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Paramus View Post
    So an organization from Omaha creates a new award for the best returner in College football. Of course they are going to be biased and claim that JR's punt return was the greatest ever using the criteria that it occured during the "greatest game ever." To me it seems like the award was created as much to promote the NU/OU 71 game as the true "Game of the century" as much as it is to honor the best returner in CF. Oh, well....since Nebraskans created the award I guess they are entitled to use it to bring recognition to whoever they want. I understand the winner gets a free trip to Omaha....will anyone really want to win this award?

Anyway...the JR punt return was a bit controversial. There were two potential clips on the play, and if either had been called, then this award most likely would not have been created, and perhaps NU would not have won that game in 1971. On the video (below) the first potential clip is on the punter, Joe Wylie, #22 (at mid field), and the 2nd one is on John Harrrison #12 (at the end of the play). I do not think that either one was a clip...they were both good "no calls", but they were close, and either one could have been called. Wylie definitely got blocked in the back but it was because he turned his back to the blocker just before the block as he was trying to change direction to tackle Rogers.

Here are two other points of view on the play...one from a fan from Tulsa Oklahoma and one from an article written by the Journals Star's Brian Christopherson back in 2001 when he was a writer for the Daily Nebraskan:

1. Dan Jenkins indicated that Joe Wylie was the last man to have a shot at tackling Johnny Rodgers on the first-quarter punt return. But the photograph on page 24 showed that the last Oklahoma defender with a chance was Jon Harrison, No. 12.

Films of the game have clearly and conclusively shown that Wylie was taken out of the play with a clip only 10 or 15 yards from where Rodgers gathered in the punt. John Atkins cut Wylie down from behind just as the Sooner speedster was ready to spill Rodgers. The intention here is not to downgrade a brilliant Cornhusker performance, only to correct a misconception.
    BILL SHANKS JR., Tulsa

2. From the 2001 Daily Nebraskan......"To many Oklahomans though, that Rodgers return made them sick to their stomach.

"The game had some controversial plays," said Bob Barry, the voice of the Sooners since 1961. "There were two alleged clips around these parts on the Rodgers return."

Clips? This must be news to Nebraskans. Thirty years later and you're going to bring the clip theory into play? Still questioned in the southern plains is a block delivered downfield on OU running back and punter Joe Wylie and the touchdown springing block delivered by NU cornerback Joe Blahak.

"From my vantage point, I saw a clip or two," Oklahoma quarterback Jack Mildren said. "But as my father the philosopher always said, 'I didn't see a flag. Did you?'"

Not surprisingly, Kinney said the play was clean. Even Wylie admitted he was only "half-blocked" anyway. Wylie said his falling down on the play can be more attributed to a half-dive attempt to tackle the slippery Rodgers."

Boisie State could create a new award for " The best blue football field in CF"....I'll bet they would win every year and bring recognition to their CF tradition at the same time......same principal that is being used by this new "best returner" award IMHO.

Nebraskans long for national recognition. It all started back in the 1920's when they started scheduling football games with Eastern teams like Pittsburg and Nortre Dame to get publicity from the Eastern press. That longing continues to this day, and this new award is evidence of that. The award is a "national award". It will be covered by the national media, and it will annually recognize the exploits of JR and the 1971 team for as long as the award exists. Not saying it is good or bad....just saying it is what it is.
    Where are you from Paramus???

Habitual Line Crosser
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie's Daddy View Post
    Where are you from Paramus???
    I assume the 7th level of hell, but have been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    You get so wrapped up in the proverbial "its all about me and my" that you loose not only your creditability but any resemblance of intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I'm reaching the point of becoming a lunatic here

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Poyer View Post
    I assume the 7th level of hell, but have been wrong before.
    Please.....try not to let the truth upset you. It can be bad for your health. Keep in mind HP, personal attacks are not allowed on this board...so try to keep it clean. Shame on You!

The bottom line is this....if JR had not made that fantastic punt return in 1971, then the Nebraska fans who invented this new "returner" trophy would not have been motivated or inspired to create it. The trophy is a replica of the JR punt return and it honors what he did in 1971 as much as it honors what returners will do this year and for years to come. I would say the primary motivation behind this award was to do something to honor and give recognition to JR, the 1971 team, NU football, and the state of Nebraska in general. The secondary motivation is to honor the best returner in the CF each year. There is not doubt in my mind that the inventers of this award would not have established the award had it not been for the JR punt return and the opportunity this award gives to honor that achievement.

As far as Nebraskans longing to get national recognition and respect for their homeland.....here's some more evidence. Remember when ESPN did a 32-team tournament to determine the best CF team of all time? The winners of each game was determined by fan vote. Do you remember the result? the two teams who made the finals were 1971 Nebraska and 1995 Nebraska. Kirk Herbstreet was very upset about that. Here was an opportunity for Nebraskans to tell the nation that Nebraska and NU football are top notch, and they voted like crazy. That event made it obvious that national recognition of the homeland is important to Nebraskans.

Now, I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. It's just me makling an observation. I am a native Nebraskan and I am as big a promoter of all things Nebraska as there is here in New Jersey where I live. As a youngster in 1971 I remember watching that JR punt return live and in living black and white, and it was one of the most exiting things I ever experienced.

So as I think about it, almost all of these college football awards have a name associated with them....Remington Award, Heisman Trophy, Butkus award, and so forth. There is no doubt the JR punt return was one of the best ever, so it is appropriate to have his name tied to the trophy. I think the trophy is a good idea, it recognizes a special skill, and it is long overdue. However i also recognize that motive behind the creation of this award goes beyond recognizing this special skill....there was also a motivation by the creators to gain recognition for their homeland (which is also my homeland). Do you honestly disagree with that, Mr. HP?

Quote Originally Posted by Paramus View Post

BILL SHANKS JR., Tulsa

Funny stuff. Probably 2 holds or clips on EVERY return...lol.

As for naming of the trophy; they don't name awards after people that graduated last year. Jet is a heisman and two time all American and played on arguably the best team on CF history. Also, no team was as consistently good as NU though out the 70's, 80's and 90's. You might argue others are worthy of the trophy naming but Jet is more than worthy. And of course every players ego benefits from a trophy naming and every university does as well. This is not unique to NU or Jet. Every FBS university longs for football recognition and the fact that a small land grant in the middle of fly over country has garnered that is itself remarkable.

I had a friend tell me what he thought a trophy of JR would look like but I wont repeat it here....funny though