Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Blatt Coming Down!

Red Shirt
    great photo, thanks...
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    I've got some dirt from the stadium. I'm willing to part ways with it below market value!
    I'll take some.

Quote Originally Posted by II HUSKERS II View Post
    ....I believe that scoreboard is now at Burke HS ...can anyone confirm that?

Yes. True. Installed last week sometime if I remember right.

Scout Team

If you are not locak you may not know that the Blatt has been open to walk on what is left of the field from 10A - 2PM Thur - Tomorrow ( Monday) Here are a few of the shots I took while walking around. It was really starnge to be on the field that only 24 months ago hosted the CWS.

The Blatt 2012 173 by nebugeater, on Flickr

The gate the ball girl cam out of to try and catch the fouls comming off the net

The Blatt 2012 171 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Home plate less a little dirt

The Blatt 2012 169 by nebugeater, on Flickr

The Blatt 2012 164 by nebugeater, on Flickr

The Blatt 2012 110 by nebugeater, on Flickr

The Blatt 2012 104 by nebugeater, on Flickr

The Blatt 2012 102 by nebugeater, on Flickr

The Blatt 2012 134 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Travel Squad
    It's pretty sad to see the old girl have to go through a disinvestment cycle. There should have been plans to maintain the stadium/field until it was demolished (maybe even the site of some of the CWS events in the meantime). Still, I think it's demolition will be cathartic for many still clinging to the past. The new stadium is great and it will be the home of the event until at least 2035 -- let's make the event what we want it to be!
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Scout Team

I agree with most of what you are saying witht ehexception that it should ahve been maintained untill now. Part of the demised look is that some demo is already completed and things that can be saved to reuse or sold have been taken out. To maintaint he field or any other part would be foolish money spent. Maybe what could have happened is that this fairwell open house could have been last summer during the CWS for fans to have one last look. Then by this year it could have been forgotten. In my opinion it would have been best by this CWS to have the demo done but there are a lot of factors that go into that timing decision and I am sure they were made with all the factors included. No matter what it is time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    It's pretty sad to see the old girl have to go through a disinvestment cycle. There should have been plans to maintain the stadium/field until it was demolished (maybe even the site of some of the CWS events in the meantime). Still, I think it's demolition will be cathartic for many still clinging to the past. The new stadium is great and it will be the home of the event until at least 2035 -- let's make the event what we want it to be!

I agree it's time to move on. I get being sentimental, but the 'Blatt wasn't Fenway or Wrigley. It was a poorly located stadium that probably should have been removed a decade ago. I, like most people, loved going to CWS games there, but that's probably because we didn't know any better. Had a conversation with someone who wondered what's the big deal with Zesto's. He couldn't understand why people thought so much of that place. I told him, it's because for 30-40 years it was literally the only place to get anything to eat or drink once you got outside the stadium, so people built the place up to be more than it actually was. I'll bet in 5 years, people will look back and think how silly it was to have played the CWS for so long in a place that offered so little for people to do, before and after the game.

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebugeater View Post
    I agree with most of what you are saying witht ehexception that it should ahve been maintained untill now. Part of the demised look is that some demo is already completed and things that can be saved to reuse or sold have been taken out. To maintaint he field or any other part would be foolish money spent. Maybe what could have happened is that this fairwell open house could have been last summer during the CWS for fans to have one last look. Then by this year it could have been forgotten. In my opinion it would have been best by this CWS to have the demo done but there are a lot of factors that go into that timing decision and I am sure they were made with all the factors included. No matter what it is time to move on.
    I'm not averse to your plea for economic practicality, but there has to be some groundskeeping major at UNO, Bellevue, Metro, or SCC that could have been a great lab for the students. I get talking as much out as can be salvaged or sold but the field should have been maintained until demo -- how cool would it have been to have the homerun derby or autograph signing/fan day over there?
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

...certified in something
    ....I refused to go look at it last week, too many good memories. I didn't want to see it all crippled and jacked up
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.