Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Obama going to call?

Oh my!

Is Obama going to call?

What do you think is Obama going to call her?

http://news.yahoo.com/bristol-palin-...-abc-news.html
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

God of Huskermax

Pretty sure we covered this.

pray for me ;)
    Somebody call Snooki as well.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Somebody call Snooki as well.
    But she LIKES being called those names.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

Travel Squad
    Sandra Fluke testified in front of congress. Rush Limbaugh is a pundit and Honorary Republican congressman.

The Palin family defined hypocrisy. Bill Maher is a comedian that Democrats regularly avoid.

...seems to be a large difference between the two situations.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

All Legend
    Seriously, I don't approve of Maher calling Bristol names. It's very low class. I think that makes the comparison between Limbaugh and Maher fitting. But to some degree her mother put her forward in a way that made her a "public figure", certainly more so than the Obama's have done with their daughters, and certainly more than a nobody testifying one time before Congress.

Is Obama playing politics by not calling her? Of course. But Bristol and whoever advised her to do this are also playnig politics.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    But she LIKES being called those names.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Oh my!
    Seriously, I don't approve of Maher calling Bristol names. It's very low class. I think that makes the comparison between Limbaugh and Maher fitting. But to some degree her mother put her forward in a way that made her a "public figure", certainly more so than the Obama's have done with their daughters, and certainly more than a nobody testifying one time before Congress.

Is Obama playing politics by not calling her? Of course. But Bristol and whoever advised her to do this are also playnig politics.
    Of course she is playing politics, the question is what does Obama do? This has been referred to as a Catch-22 in other news stories, set up by Bristol, but of course she had help. So how does the President tolerate getting put in this situation by someone like Bristol?

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Of course she is playing politics, the question is what does Obama do? This has been referred to as a Catch-22 in other news stories, set up by Bristol, but of course she had help. So how does the President tolerate getting put in this situation by someone like Bristol?
    He ignores it. It goes away in less than a week.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    He ignores it. It goes away in less than a week.
    Yeah, politics is like ice hockey. There'll be another fight on the other end.

All Legend
    I agree she scores a point on the contrast, but only the cogoscenti are watching now.

Oh my!
    I agree she scores a point on the contrast, but only the cogoscenti are watching now.
    I had to look that up.
    Good use of the English vocabulary and might I say, well posted!!!

All Legend
    I had to look that up.
    Exactly what's that supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    Sandra Fluke testified in front of congress. Rush Limbaugh is a pundit and Honorary Republican congressman.

The Palin family defined hypocrisy. Bill Maher is a comedian that Democrats regularly avoid.

I'm not buying that there is any distinction. Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh occupy roughly similar positions in their respective wings of American politics. They both made extraordinarily misogynist comments. As candidate Obama rightly said, the children of politicians ought to be off limits. I have no problem with Obama's condemnation of Limbaugh's comments, which were inexcusable. I do, however, have a big problem with his failure to condemn Maher's equally inexcusable comments, as well as the efforts of his aides to brush those comments off because they were made by a "comedian." That's disingenuous to say the least.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Exactly what's that supposed to mean?

I believe what it is supposed to mean is that senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose!

"The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post

By the way, glad to see you in the Cafe! Hope you stick around.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    I believe what it is supposed to mean is that senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose!

And what's THAT supposed to mean!

As a feminist (yeah, I said it!) I don't think anyone should call women (pardon me mods) tw@t, c@nt, wh@re, etc. In any context. I don't buy Maher's defense on that front, much as I wouldn't buy anyone saying it's OK because they do live stand-up instead of a daily a.m. dial radio show, a key part of Bill's defense as of late. And I get why Maher's SuperPAC donation was probably as ill-timed as it could be considering the firestorm that's come about. I do get the difference between insulting someone who's trying to be a heartbeat away from being the leader of the free world with a few one liners and insulting someone who's a private citizen with several days of really despicable insults on their 3 hour radio show. Neither is justified by the existence of the other. But there is some degree of difference. All of them, though, shouldn't default to sex-based jibes any more than they can default to race-based jibes, no matter their stature in society.

Personally, I think Maher comes to his strident comedic political opinions (not all of which I agree with, by a long shot) based on a lot more fact on a much greater basis of consistency than Rush ever has, but you can write that off to personal politics and that's fine. I imagine the record, if one were to go to the nauseating trouble of fact checking the two over the last 20 years or so, would bear me out, but I sure as heck ain't going to the trouble. I'll close out by saying that yes, Brystol was put up to this by somebody and not much will probably come of it, and in the greater right vs. left debate I'll give Maher the edge every time for having the stones to do his schtick in front of panels that may put up some degree of resistance to his ideas, be that on Politically Incorrect, Real Time, on stage in front of a few hundred people, or on tete-a-tete tour with Ann Coulter. Rush hides in a broadcast booth and refuses to put himself in a position where he ever, EVER has to argue his points with a lefty. So there's that.

All American
    I haven't watched a Bill Maher show since Politically Incorrect. But, on that show, there's no way you're going to be able to sell that he was brave for making his outlandish comments in front of an audience that might harshly judge him.

His audience, on that show, was pretty close to 100% in tune with his ideology, beliefs and style. He could made the dumbest comment or point ever, and the crowd would erupt with laughter and applause.

Hell, Snoop Dogg would be on that show and say something to the effect of, "fo shizzle dizzle my kizzle nizzle wizzle," and the crowd would act like he just made the best argument ever.
    For the loser now will be later to win. For the times they are a-changin'.

I had to look that up.
    Good call! I had to look that up as well. Thanks 'nut! Very well spoken!