Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Its now official - Obama increased the national debt more in 3 years than Bush in 8

Heisman

Its now official - Obama increased the national debt more in 3 years than Bush in 8

(CBS News) The National Debt has now increased more during President Obama's three years and two months in office than it did during 8 years of the George W. Bush presidency. The Debt rose $4.899 trillion during the two terms of the Bush presidency. It has now gone up $4.939 trillion since President Obama took office.

The National Debt also now exceeds 100% of the nation's Gross Domestic Product, the total value of goods and services.

The federal budget sent to Congress last month by Mr. Obama, projects the National Debt will continue to rise as far as the eye can see. The budget shows the Debt hitting $16.3 trillion in 2012, $17.5 trillion in 2013 and $25.9 trillion in 2022.
    And, CBS news isn't some far right web blog. Do we need any further proof, that as many Republicans keep trying to say, "we have primarily a spending problem, not a taxing problem."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...an-under-bush/

All American
    It's still all Bush's fault.
    N Riley I trust

"No one in CFB I'd trust more with my son in his program than new NEB Coach Mike Riley." Brock Huard

Heisman

Someone remind me again about how to edit the title of the thread - to add the space I left out?

(Never mind, figured it out! )

Ayyy!

Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Someone remind me again about how to edit the title of the thread - to add the space I left out?
    Just double click in the box where the thread title is on the main Cafe forum.

Scout Team
    This is like saying futility is better than incompetence.

I think it's safe to say both the Dems & Pubs have spending issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Husker View Post
    I think it's safe to say both the Dems & Pubs have spending issues.
    True, only one sees that it needs to be curtailed.

Would quibble a little bit with your statement McKinney. We do have a revenue problem, but that doesn't mean we have a problem with our tax rates being too low. If you look at this chart, you can see how the last two recessions have killed total federal revenues coming in. The decline in revenues due to two financial crashes in one decade has probably been an even bigger driver of the deficit than uncontrolled federal spending. That said, you and I would probably reach the same conclusion from this fact: that the federal government needs to facilitate economic growth in order to generate more revenue, not increase taxes.

"The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Would quibble a little bit with your statement McKinney. We do have a revenue problem, but that doesn't mean we have a problem with our tax rates being too low. If you look at this chart, you can see how the last two recessions have killed total federal revenues coming in. The decline in revenues due to two financial crashes in one decade has probably been an even bigger driver of the deficit than uncontrolled federal spending. That said, you and I would probably reach the same conclusion from this fact: that the federal government needs to facilitate economic growth in order to generate more revenue, not increase taxes.

Yes, Chi, I'd say we have little quibble, you just supplied a more detailed synopsis of the situation and what needs to be done.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by HuZkurZ View Post
    True, only one sees that it needs to be curtailed.
    Sees is a strong word. Promises that they care about it deeply is more like it as promises can always be broken.

All Big 10
    It isn't that we are taxed to little it is they spend to much. Cut the spending (reform entitlements, cut budgets), broaden the tax base (total tax overhaul that flattens and simplifies the code), increase private sector growth (cut regulatory red tape and code).
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.