Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 53 of 53

Thread: What are we doing interviewing Scott Sutton and contacting Rob Jeter?

  1. #41
    Red Shirt
    RedRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    2,734
    Quote Originally Posted by redwinghusker View Post
    The list of men's basketball coaches who apparently don't want the Nebraska job is growing.
    Three sources Tuesday told The World-Herald that Wichita State's Gregg Marshall was offered the NU job, likely at an annual salary of at least $2 million.

    Two of those sources said Marshall has turned it down, while the third said Marshall wasn't showing any interest. Two of those sources have direct access to Marshall, who didn't return messages left by The World-Herald.
    Two other sources said that Nebraska reached out through a third party to Gonzaga's Mark Few and Colorado's Tad Boyle to gauge interest, but neither wanted to be involved.
    Interviews on Tuesday with three coaches who are still in the NCAA tournament or have direct ties to such teams said the coaching grapevine is in virtual agreement in the following thoughts on VCU's Shaka Smart and Ohio's John Groce:
    Both are expected to stay at their schools if they don't find jobs they want at higher-profile basketball schools than Nebraska.
    Last week, sources confirmed that UCLA's Ben Howland turned down an offer from Nebraska.
    Also apparently out of contention is former UNLV star, NBA player and college and NBA coach Reggie Theus.
    A coaching friend of Theus said Tuesday night that a high-ranking Nebraska official responded to notes seeking entry into the search that Theus "wouldn't be a candidate at this point.''
    Nebraska has interviewed Oral Roberts' Scott Sutton and may have directly discussed the job with Colorado State's Tim Miles and Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Rob Jeter.
    Tuesday was the 11th day since Nebraska fired Doc Sadler.
    Two sources said we offered a job and a third said he wasn't interested. I find it very hard to believe we are running around offering jobs without first even finding out if they are interested. Heck we might even want to interview someone before putting out a contract. But Barfneck wants to make it sound that way. And until the Omaha World Herald names a source to their story I'm going to believe TO who said this:

    “Our head men's basketball position has not been offered to any individual at this point and will not be offered until we have fully completed the process. A job offer would not be extended without athletic department officials first having an opportunity to meet in person with that candidate.''

  2. #42
    All Legend
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    16,656
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    Two sources said we offered a job and a third said he wasn't interested. I find it very hard to believe we are running around offering jobs without first even finding out if they are interested. Heck we might even want to interview someone before putting out a contract. But Barfneck wants to make it sound that way. And until the Omaha World Herald names a source to their story I'm going to believe TO who said this:

    “Our head men's basketball position has not been offered to any individual at this point and will not be offered until we have fully completed the process. A job offer would not be extended without athletic department officials first having an opportunity to meet in person with that candidate.''
    So these people saying they turned down an "offer" never met with any athletic department officials? Saying "no, I don't want to talk about it" is not the same as turning down an offer at this level. Osborne obviously knew what he was doing saying that in this statement. It makes it clear to everyone in the industry what the true state of play was.

    Of course, if they really got an "offer", all the have to do is show they actually interviewed with the hiring manager. If they can.

    Barfknecht is really looking bad here not characterizing it as people saying they had no interest.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

  3. #43
    Calling The Count
    Fromunda Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,186
    Barfknecht is really looking bad here not characterizing it as people saying they had no interest
    KC Star is saying the same thing as Barfy.

    Whether you like Barfy or not, dude has got a stellar reputation among the coaches.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

  4. #44
    Varsity

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    10,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post
    KC Star is saying the same thing as Barfy.

    Whether you like Barfy or not, dude has got a stellar reputation among the coaches.
    The KC Star is probably getting their information from Barfy's reports.

    I like Lee's stuff, and he puts in the work. I have no doubt somebody leaked something of that nature to him, but the reality is that Tom made his statement for a reason. He made his statement when he did for a reason.

    Common sense says that Marshall didn't get an offer, which seems to be a common theme with other job openings that his name has been floated.

    Did his people leak this to make him look better? Possible. Maybe even likely. Perhaps Marshall isn't as wanted as he wants to believe for whatever reason.

    Notice that TO didn't come out with an official statement after the Howland rumors? Probably because we were actually trying to pursue Howland.

    But, when Marshall's folk start leaking this rumor, we make a very solid and sensible statement that we are still openly in the process of interviews and that actual offers have not been made.

    I do believe that Lee reported what his "sources" passed on to him. What I don't know is the motivation coming from his "sources".
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

  5. #45
    Calling The Count
    Fromunda Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,186
    C'mon fRed, you know this is all semantics.

    The job was floated by Marshall with a price tag attached, he said (in his best german accent) "NINE" and DONU is left with egg in its face.

    In the end, we'll see who NU hires. If it is a Sutton or Jeter, people will be saying, "why didn't we get Marshall"

    If it is a Groce or equivalent, nobody will care about Marshall.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

  6. #46
    Varsity

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    10,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post
    C'mon fRed, you know this is all semantics.

    The job was floated by Marshall with a price tag attached, he said (in his best german accent) "NINE" and DONU is left with egg in its face.

    In the end, we'll see who NU hires. If it is a Sutton or Jeter, people will be saying, "why didn't we get Marshall"

    If it is a Groce or equivalent, nobody will care about Marshall.
    I respectfully disagree.

    I do not believe that Marshall got an offer. There are reasons that he may not be as attractive as he thinks he is.

    In fact, to be honest, I believe that both Jeter and Sutton are more serious candidates for our position than Marshall, hence they've been interviewed while Marshall hasn't.

    On the other hand, I do believe that if Howland would've had serious interest in regards to the feelers that we extended that we very well would've seen an "official" offer.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

  7. #47
    Calling The Count
    Fromunda Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,186
    I do not believe that Marshall got an offer.
    In the end TO will be saying, "the only one we offered the job to took it"

    And he won't be lying, will he?
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

  8. #48
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    44,994
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    The KC Star is probably getting their information from Barfy's reports.

    I like Lee's stuff, and he puts in the work. I have no doubt somebody leaked something of that nature to him, but the reality is that Tom made his statement for a reason. He made his statement when he did for a reason.

    Common sense says that Marshall didn't get an offer, which seems to be a common theme with other job openings that his name has been floated.

    Did his people leak this to make him look better? Possible. Maybe even likely. Perhaps Marshall isn't as wanted as he wants to believe for whatever reason.

    Notice that TO didn't come out with an official statement after the Howland rumors? Probably because we were actually trying to pursue Howland.

    But, when Marshall's folk start leaking this rumor, we make a very solid and sensible statement that we are still openly in the process of interviews and that actual offers have not been made.

    I do believe that Lee reported what his "sources" passed on to him. What I don't know is the motivation coming from his "sources".
    Again, it's all about semantics.

    "Hey, Gregg (or gregg's peeps)...we are working with Nebraska on their coaching search. You (he) is high on their list of people they want to talk to. Rough terms they are looking at for the right guy are in the neighborhood of 5 years and $2M. Any interest?"

    "No."

    Everyone is covered. No real "offer" was made likely. But the reality is that he was not interested.

    Personally I think Gregg Marshall is a puke. He's a good coach but an insufferable cry-baby. He still hasn't gotten over the Booker Woodfox shot from 3 years ago and he feels like the refs stole the Ill. St. game from them in the conference tourney this year. To the point where he said that he was looking forward to the NCAAs so they could play on a "neutral court". Can't say I'm disappointed if he's not the guy.

  9. #49
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    44,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post
    In the end TO will be saying, "the only one we offered the job to took it"

    And he won't be lying, will he?
    Exactly. An offer won't be made until they know the answer. It's like 99% of marriage proposals. "Hey, baby...IF I asked what would you say?"

  10. #50
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    44,994
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

    I do not believe that Marshall got an offer. There are reasons that he may not be as attractive as he thinks he is.

    In fact, to be honest, I believe that both Jeter and Sutton are more serious candidates for our position than Marshall, hence they've been interviewed while Marshall hasn't.

    On the other hand, I do believe that if Howland would've had serious interest in regards to the feelers that we extended that we very well would've seen an "official" offer.

    Spin of the century. Marshall is 10x the candidate that Jeter is. Jeter is a joke of a candidate. I see why you are spinning though...you obviously don't want to bag on anyone that hasn't flat out said "no" yet. That way you can praise ANY hire...no matter how underwhelming it might be.

  11. #51
    Varsity

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    10,699
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Spin of the century. Marshall is 10x the candidate that Jeter is. Jeter is a joke of a candidate. I see why you are spinning though...you obviously don't want to bag on anyone that hasn't flat out said "no" yet. That way you can praise ANY hire...no matter how underwhelming it might be.

    Doesn't make sense.

    Somebody that is saying they aren't interested in Nebraska today may very well end up being our next coach.

    By the by, if you really read what I said, I did state that I thought we made a serious overture to Howland.

    Not Marshall though. At least not at this point.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

  12. #52
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    44,994
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    Doesn't make sense.

    Somebody that is saying they aren't interested in Nebraska today may very well end up being our next coach.

    By the by, if you really read what I said, I did state that I thought we made a serious overture to Howland.

    Not Marshall though. At least not at this point.
    Maybe I misinterpreted "...in fact Jeter and Suttom may be more serious candidates than marshall." What did you mean by that?

    More serious as in "better"?

    Or more serious as in "they were interested and therefore that makes them serious candidates".

    And, like Nee...I suppose Marshall or whoever could resurface as their own prospects for other jobs diminish.

    And are you saying contact was not made with Marshall and he didn't say "no thanks" (whether it was a real offer or not)

  13. #53
    Varsity

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    10,699
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Maybe I misinterpreted "...in fact Jeter and Suttom may be more serious candidates than marshall." What did you mean by that?

    More serious as in "better"?

    Or more serious as in "they were interested and therefore that makes them serious candidates".

    And, like Nee...I suppose Marshall or whoever could resurface as their own prospects for other jobs diminish.

    And are you saying contact was not made with Marshall and he didn't say "no thanks" (whether it was a real offer or not)
    More serious in that Jeter and Sutton have actually interviewed.

    I do not believe that there has been any contact from anybody representing Nebraska with Marshall at this point in time, nevermind leaks from "sources" representing him.

    I do believe that Lee is passing on information that he was given by people that are representing Marshall's story and are tied close enough to Marshall that they would have the possibility of knowing.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •