Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: How It Was: Recruiting Tales (Broderick Thomas)

How It Was: Recruiting Tales (Broderick Thomas)

Husker Illustrated's Mike Babcock recalls the recruitment of Broderick Thomas.

How It Was: Recruiting Tales

When Tom Osborne made a home visit, the entire neighborhood took note. That’s how it was when he traveled to Houston to talk with Broderick Thomas about becoming a Husker.“There were people standing outside my house,” Thomas said during a 2006 interview. “When they heard Tom Osborne was coming to my neck of the woods, my God, it was a buzz.”
    Only a few coaches had such an effect, coaches who when they showed up “everybody starts getting antsy, putting their hands in their pockets, like, ‘Man, is that him?’ ” said Thomas, whose 1985 recruiting class was ranked among the nation’s best, even though six days before letter-of-intent signing day, in mid-February, Osborne underwent double-bypass heart surgery.
    Some coaches tried to convince recruits that the surgery, which lasted about three hours, was a reason to go elsewhere. “A lot of schools would say: ‘Osborne, he’s not going to coach very long,’ ”
    Thomas recalled later. Surely, Osborne would be forced to slow down.

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    Husker Illustrated's Mike Babcock recalls the recruitment of Broderick Thomas.

How It Was: Recruiting Tales
    Nice article. The picture is classic

Red Shirt
    That OU game hurt! I felt as confident as Broderick and bet an entire paycheck with a Sooner fan. I guess there was a silver lining, as I haven't wagered on a game since!!