Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Martinez- Hate the Game, Not the Player

  1. #1
    #1 Husker Fan
    FCHusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fort Collins Area
    Posts
    11,387

    Martinez- Hate the Game, Not the Player

    In my mind a great article on Taylor done over at Husker Locker. Great points

    http://www.huskerlocker.com/blogs/of...he-player-5600

    Sorry if already posted.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops


    It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.



  2. #2
    Starter
    AzHusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    20 hrs sw of Lincoln
    Posts
    13,740
    Quote Originally Posted by SBHusker View Post
    In my mind a great article on Taylor done over at Husker Locker. Great points

    http://www.huskerlocker.com/blogs/of...he-player-5600

    Sorry if already posted.
    Definitely some good points made. While I don't "hate" the way he's being used, I could definitely see trying a few things to lighten the load that seems to always end up on Taylor's shoulders.

    The kid is doing as well as he can. He wants nothing but to be successful.

    I don't understand all the bagging on him, but to each their own ideas.
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

  3. #3
    I'd be happy if they could teach him to lower his shoulder and get the extra yard. He takes too many monster hits in the upright position.

  4. #4
    #1 Husker Fan
    FCHusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fort Collins Area
    Posts
    11,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Husker View Post
    I'd be happy if they could teach him to lower his shoulder and get the extra yard. He takes too many monster hits in the upright position.
    Agreed! If so many schools were looking at him at safety shouldnt the kid be able to bring the wood??? I know a couple safeties that are heat seeking missiles!
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops


    It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.



  5. #5
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The 'Mont
    Posts
    260
    Think back to his freshman year after he got injured and the "bagging" began. I don't blame him for being a little cautious when he runs. Just gotta work on his juke a little.

  6. #6
    All American
    Husker Country Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    26,055
    First thing TM needs to do is hang on to the ball. Dont recall the stat, but TM fumbles accounted for a large percentage of NU's total fumbles. By some miracle, most of those hits occurred near the sideline, and the ball often went out of bounds.

    Then he needs to learn to give punishment when running the FB.

    Not so concerned about his passing form, just when and where he decides to throw it.

    I have a hard time believing he is the only option at QB. Carnes should have been given a chance in some games last year.
    [television commercial] Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't cheer for Big Red, then f-*bleep* you.

  7. #7
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,700
    I have always supported Martinez...and that won't change this year or next. Glad he's our qb. I think he'd perfrom even better if people would rally behind him.

  8. #8
    If Taylor Martinez can take Nebraska to the Promised Land, I will buy a No. 3 jersey at the 200 percent markup and shout his praises from the rooftops, but I won’t have to.

    Is he a great athlete? Yes. Does he deserve an FBS scholarship? You bet. Is he a quarterback that will win Nebraska a BCS bowl game if Rex Burkhead goes down and the entire team looks to him for leadership? No, he is not.

    Football is only kind to the winners, to those who go above and beyond, to those who win game after game, and title after title. Martinez’s best game in 2011 was in a loss.
    Quote from the article cited in post #1. Bold is my emphasis.

    All I see here is a not so veiled attempt at labeling TM a loser and indicating Pelini/Beck are inept coaches that don't know who to put in the game to win.

    Pretty much the same thing I see on this board from a select group of posters. The only difference in this "critical analysis" article is that his real name is on it. I expect Dirk is eating his heart out wishing he would have beat Cavanaugh to the punch.

    I wonder what would happen if the attitude toward TM was predominately what BigRedOhio posted?

  9. #9
    Guest

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kearney, NE
    Posts
    634
    They did rally behind him.....at first the excuses were "chill out! he's a freshman!" then "chill out the defense wasn't very helpful!" or "the WR's need to help him out and catch the ball!" I think we are making more excuses for him and there is nothing wrong with being critical. The problem is what has been stated, when we win it overshadows what he still does when they lose and good teams exploit it.

    Supporting the QB of your team is a given.....because Gilbert is still Qb for Texas...wait I mean Bauserman is still starter at OSU.

  10. #10
    Guest

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kearney, NE
    Posts
    634
    You can have all the support in the world but at the end of the day you either improve, regress, or stay the same. The result is up to Martinez, not the people who look at him through a microscope or the ones that pump rainbows up his butt.

  11. #11
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop Corn View Post
    Quote from the article cited in post #1. Bold is my emphasis.

    All I see here is a not so veiled attempt at labeling TM a loser and indicating Pelini/Beck are inept coaches that don't know who to put in the game to win.

    Pretty much the same thing I see on this board from a select group of posters. The only difference in this "critical analysis" article is that his real name is on it. I expect Dirk is eating his heart out wishing he would have beat Cavanaugh to the punch.

    I wonder what would happen if the attitude toward TM was predominately what BigRedOhio posted?
    Well I for one agree with BigRedOhio, Eric Crouch used to frustrate the crap out of me in his younger years too... now TM is no Crouch but he is a very gifted athlete who I do believe is capable of taking NU to a BCS game, but we must remember, Taylor didnt let Robinson, Wilson, and Persa run all over us. Taylor had gigantic obstacles to overcome last year including but not limited to : 1) learning a completely new offense 2) position coach changed 3) conference change 4) HE WAS A SOPHOMORE 5) someone accidentally switched the stickem with Vaseline for our WR's 6) we had an extremely young team... Taylor's struggles last year were frustrating but not condemnable

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavaman View Post
    Well I for one agree with BigRedOhio, Eric Crouch used to frustrate the crap out of me in his younger years too... now TM is no Crouch but he is a very gifted athlete who I do believe is capable of taking NU to a BCS game, but we must remember, Taylor didnt let Robinson, Wilson, and Persa run all over us. Taylor had gigantic obstacles to overcome last year including but not limited to : 1) learning a completely new offense 2) position coach changed 3) conference change 4) HE WAS A SOPHOMORE 5) someone accidentally switched the stickem with Vaseline for our WR's 6) we had an extremely young team... Taylor's struggles last year were frustrating but not condemnable
    I am in your camp Lavaman.

  13. #13
    Varsity

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    10,699
    Brandon Cavanaugh?

    Prominent BRB member trashing Bo and his players once again? No surprise there. He was part of the group attacking Max and our old HP group.

    His lame postings shouldn't be reposted on this board.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrollsker View Post
    They did rally behind him.....at first the excuses were "chill out! he's a freshman!" then "chill out the defense wasn't very helpful!" or "the WR's need to help him out and catch the ball!" I think we are making more excuses for him and there is nothing wrong with being critical. The problem is what has been stated, when we win it overshadows what he still does when they lose and good teams exploit it.

    Supporting the QB of your team is a given.....because Gilbert is still Qb for Texas...wait I mean Bauserman is still starter at OSU.
    You are absolutely correct in saying there is nothing wrong with being critical, but I would go one step farther and make that constructive criticism. Labeling TM and the coaching staff losers (my perception on the article by Cavanaugh) serves the football program absolutely no purpose IMHO. Every just criticism that I have seen about TM is being or has been addressed. Leadership, decision making, throwing motion, ball security are all issues that, from what I see published, are areas being addressed and continue to be addressed.

    The kid has led this team to a 19-8 record. The camp that I am talking about tend to focus totally on the eight losses. If you want to focus on the Wisconsin type games and never look at the Oklahoma State game then so be it, but I think it is an unfair evaluation of his whole body of work.

    If you choose to be "nattering nabobs of negativism" I just think you need to take a small sip of the stuff they make in Hastings.

  15. #15
    Junior Varsity
    MyBraska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    behind enemy lines in Boulder County
    Posts
    6,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Husker View Post
    I'd be happy if they could teach him to lower his shoulder and get the extra yard. He takes too many monster hits in the upright position.
    Tim Tebow can do this. Don't ask TM to try it unless you want a dislocated shoulder on your starting QB.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

  16. #16
    Guest

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kearney, NE
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBraska View Post
    Tim Tebow can do this. Don't ask TM to try it unless you want a dislocated shoulder on your starting QB.
    True that MyBraska, Tebow is 250 and some change....I highly doubt TM is much more than 210

  17. #17
    Guest

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kearney, NE
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop Corn View Post
    You are absolutely correct in saying there is nothing wrong with being critical, but I would go one step farther and make that constructive criticism. Labeling TM and the coaching staff losers (my perception on the article by Cavanaugh) serves the football program absolutely no purpose IMHO. Every just criticism that I have seen about TM is being or has been addressed. Leadership, decision making, throwing motion, ball security are all issues that, from what I see published, are areas being addressed and continue to be addressed.

    The kid has led this team to a 19-8 record. The camp that I am talking about tend to focus totally on the eight losses. If you want to focus on the Wisconsin type games and never look at the Oklahoma State game then so be it, but I think it is an unfair evaluation of his whole body of work.

    If you choose to be "nattering nabobs of negativism" I just think you need to take a small sip of the stuff they make in Hastings.
    Good record and most kids deserve criticism of the constructive variety. I want him to succeed but some days a D-Coordinator has you dialed and the coach can only do so much until you look at your QB and say "hey, that's why we put you out there....you see it, make something happen."

  18. #18
    Guest

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Viking Lake, Iowa
    Posts
    957
    Remember the old days when the best option quarterbacks in the land at least took a look at Lincoln as a destination. It was the best option for the option you could say. The majority of programs wanted nothing to do with them, other than wanting them to play safety or the slot. Then Nebraska wanted change and began to compete for the pocket passers for their WCO. Then Nebraska was a place for hybrids. The offense changed often and so did the coaches. Nebraska for the last decade was a gamble for the good quarterbacks. Heck it was a gamble for any quarterbacks.

    Now the world has stopped or at least slowed down. Nebraska has the same offense for the second consecutive season. Still it's difficult to land the top quarterbacks as the question of "will it really last" lingers as a cloud. Armstrong looks like a great fit for this hybrid offense. Bo says he wants a 50/50 attack. Martinez was that skinny kid with that funky delivery and programs were not sold as him being the end-all for the offense. Martinez was a kid that needed his fundamentals overhauled and a year or two to mature. Instead he was rushed into the mix of a program trying to decide who they were. It's a wonder it turned out as well as it has during the many directions this staff have taken.

    Now Martinez can finally work on those things he should have two years ago. The evolution of his game was slowed by the offense that changed like a chameleon. All those little things that should have been addressed in a red shirt season is now being addressed as he enters his junior year. Some say it's all excuses. Yet Nebraska's best quarterbacks were a product of stability and the nurturing of confidence. Call it excuses if you will, but it will get better and his game still has time to evolve. His comfort level has to get better with experience, and there won't be many with more experience than Martinez his last two years. To be overly critical of him, considering what he has had to deal with is unfair. I would imagine there will be some who will change their take on the young man by the time he's finished. At least they should if they use some commonsense. I've done my share of finger pointing but I also remember Frost and his critics after his first season. There were more than a few that changed their take after 97. I'm hoping that is the case with Martinez.

  19. #19
    Husker Fan
    HuskerWeatherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    44,727
    Quote Originally Posted by AzHusker View Post
    Definitely some good points made. While I don't "hate" the way he's being used, I could definitely see trying a few things to lighten the load that seems to always end up on Taylor's shoulders.

    The kid is doing as well as he can. He wants nothing but to be successful.

    I don't understand all the bagging on him, but to each their own ideas.
    They actually did lighten his load considerably last season. I posted the stat months ago (don't recall the numbers exactly now), but Martinez's rushes were significantly lower after the first third of the season in 2011. Burkhead took on much more responsibility.

    I'm sure he's doing as well as he can. I'm sure just about every player on every team is. The question is really whether or not that's good enough for the team.

  20. #20
    Husker Fan
    HuskerWeatherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    44,727
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedOhio View Post
    I have always supported Martinez...and that won't change this year or next. Glad he's our qb. I think he'd perfrom even better if people would rally behind him.
    I would hope he wouldn't need people to rally behind him to perform better. The truly great players step it up in adversity.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •