Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How We All Got Stuck Paying the Medical Bills of the Woman Who Sued to Kill Obamacare

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Pretty much my position.

Though I'm not wedded to the notion it must be state run... I'd have to the economic studies... Seems the bigger the pool, the better.
    All for "the greater good." It's like Shawn Of The Dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    All for "the greater good." It's like Shawn Of The Dead.
    Classic movie. But I'm not advocating killing graffitiers... yet.

Anyway, yeah, when it means that the responsible among us have to pay for the irresponsible (i.e. the ones who can afford health insurance, risk going without it, and then expect us to pay when something bad happens), I think it is better to mandate that they buy insurance.

Of course, irresponsible may be too strong of a word; it might be economically self-interested to "risk" the low probability of uninsured health problems for a 25 year old male. But, that's where society probably needs to step in and say, "nope, you don't get to take that risk" just like we tell the safest demographics among drivers that the still must buy car insurance.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Classic movie. But I'm not advocating killing graffitiers... yet.

Anyway, yeah, when it means that the responsible among us have to pay for the irresponsible (i.e. the ones who can afford health insurance, risk going without it, and then expect us to pay when something bad happens), I think it is better to mandate that they buy insurance.

Of course, irresponsible may be too strong of a word; it might be economically self-interested to "risk" the low probability of uninsured health problems for a 25 year old male. But, that's where society probably needs to step in and say, "nope, you don't get to take that risk" just like we tell the safest demographics among drivers that the still must buy car insurance.
    And individual liberty, which you so adamantly claim to defend when it comes to substance abuse, erodes further.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    As a matter of principle, I don't like the idea of a mandate. But as a matter of practicality and fairness, I don't see a reasonable alternative - to a mandate at state level.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, an individual mandate is the worst way to deal with this problem, except for all of the other alternatives.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    And individual liberty, which you so adamantly claim to defend when it comes to substance abuse, erodes further.
    You are completely confusing my drug policy arguments with those of some of the strident libertarians on this board.

I'm not sure I've ever argued that someone should have an inherent right to use drugs based on notions of liberty.

My thoughts on a mandate are entirely consistent with the logic I employ when evaluating US drug policy.