Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How We All Got Stuck Paying the Medical Bills of the Woman Who Sued to Kill Obamacare

God of Huskermax

How We All Got Stuck Paying the Medical Bills of the Woman Who Sued to Kill Obamacare

Oh those silly irresponsible conservatives....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wendel...l?ref=politics

Brown was outspoken in her belief that Congress had gone beyond what the U.S. Constitution allows when it included in the reform law a requirement that, beginning in 2014, most Americans will have to obtain health insurance or pay a fine to the IRS. She said she was uninsured and was that way by choice."She firmly believes that no one should have the right to tell her she has to use her own money to pay for health insurance," Karen Harned, executive director of the NFIB legal center, said when the NFIB filed its lawsuit in 2010.She turned out not to be such a perfect choice after all.Last year Brown shuttered her business and filed for personal bankruptcy. Among her debts: nearly $4,500 in medical bills. More than $2,000 of that was owed to the Bay Medical Center in Panama City. The rest was to doctors in Florida, Alabama and Mississippi.

I lived in Panama City for a couple of years while at Tyndall AFB...."interesting" place....honestly not surprised by this at all....and don't expect this to be the last time you hear a story like this either....

God Bless her.....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

God of Huskermax

Conservative hypocrites talking about personal responsibility and then deciding it doesn't apply to them. Typical.

Starter
    Nice story, but can you show me how WE got stuck with the bill?

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    The hospital gets stuck with her unpaid bills. Thus, bankrutpcies like this drive up the cost of health care for all of us.

It's a big problem the new health care plan tries to address.

And before you complain about the new health care plan, explain what Republicans did for 8 years to address the ever-growing health care problem in this country? Never mind -- we know. Nothing. Except pass an unfunded mandate (another example of Pub hypocrisy).

Here is what the author spelled out in the article....maybe you missed it when you read it? Plus he goes into quite a bit of detail on "uncompensated" care that the hospitals are eating....

It is people who have decided not to buy coverage -- but who nevertheless get sick or injured and seek medical care when they do, even if they don't have the money to pay for it -- that make health insurance so expensive for the rest of us. And it is why the cost of coverage has become completely unaffordable for millions of other Americans who, unlike Mary Brown, really want it and know they need it.

If folks take the time to read this article that is pretty much spelled out in detail....

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    The hospital gets stuck with her unpaid bills. Thus, bankrutpcies like this drive up the cost of health care for all of us.

And before you complain about the new health care plan, explain what Republicans did for 8 years to address the ever-growing health care problem in this country? Never mind -- we know. Nothing. Except pass an unfunded mandate (another example of Pub hypocrisy).

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Conservative hypocrites talking about personal responsibility and then deciding it doesn't apply to them. Typical.
    Yeah, because we know that hypocrisy is "typical" only of conservatives.

Red Shirt
    From the article linked in the OP:

It is not truly accurate, of course, that that $30 million a year in uncompensated care at Bay Medical Center is, indeed, uncompensated. Somebody has to pay for it. And guess who that is? It is all of us. Even Mary Brown. She and the rest of us cover that uncompensated care either through higher taxes to support the Medicare and Medicaid programs or through higher health insurance premiums. The care that presumably is "absorbed" by the hospitals is, in reality, being absorbed not by those facilities but by us. This is what the term "cost shifting" is all about.
    It's hard to be humble when you're a Husker

Actually I believe a little something nicknamed "RomneyCare" was created and endorsed by the Heritage Foundation. Any similarities to "Obamacare" are purely coincidental and should have no bearing on the smear campaign against the vile and evil healthcare bill passed by the Democrats. Yup, no similarities whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Funny, I've got a father in law who has declared personal bankruptcy (did it right before the new rules went into place making it harder to do so), used cash for clunkers to upgrade his wheels, took the tax break for sticking some solar panels on his house, and will be on the dole in all sorts of ways when he retires within the next decade, but those Democrats and that colored fellow in the White House will be the death of us all. Funny indeed.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Yeah, because we know that hypocrisy is "typical" only of conservatives.
    After seeing Lakewoods Chik-Fil-A thread I thought today was "broad brush" day.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Funny, I've got a father in law who has declared personal bankruptcy (did it right before the new rules went into place making it harder to do so), used cash for clunkers to upgrade his wheels, took the tax break for sticking some solar panels on his house, and will be on the dole in all sorts of ways when he retires within the next decade, but those Democrats and that colored fellow in the White House will be the death of us all. Funny indeed.
    I got 2 buddies who are hardcore conservatives who take every handout they can get their paws on. Both have filed bankruptcy and have all kinds of personal responsibility issues. They hate it when I point it out to them.

*Disclaimer: No not all of my conservative friends are like this, not even very many of them are like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Actually I believe a little something nicknamed "RomneyCare" was created and endorsed by the Heritage Foundation. Any similarities to "Obamacare" are purely coincidental and should have no bearing on the smear campaign against the vile and evil healthcare bill passed by the Democrats. Yup, no similarities whatsoever.
    Then why didn't Bush and company get it passed nationwide? Or at least do something?

Then why didn't Bush and company get it passed nationwide? Or at least do something?
    Probably because it made too much sense. Pretty sure they were busy assembling the sweetheart deal for the pharma industry.