Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 79

Thread: Chick-Fil-A Not welcome at College campuses

  1. #31
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    9,263
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    Holy crap, are you seriously comparing Chik-Fil-A donating money to traditional family values organizations to the Ku Klux Klan? In the first response to the thread?
    I understand your point. But I am not sure cm was making a comparison of the two groups. Rather, I see the point he is making to be that there may be a line out there somewhere that, if a group falls on the other side of that line, they are so detestable as to be protestable, even by a group preaching tolerance. Many people would view the KKK as on the wrong side of that line. Some people may view Focus on the Family, and others that have an agenda to suppress gay rights, as being also on the wrong side of the line. Like cm, I have no problem with Chik-Fil-A giving a small percentage of its profits to groups that I strongly disagree with. Others may feel stronger about it. I probably would have too, at age 20!

    I say: Let's let the kids try to make the world a better place (while they still have the energy), without getting our underwear all in a knot. They've been doing it, often in silly ways and perhaps without the deepest of thought or without experience to drawn on, for generations ... then they grow up. It is usually pretty harmless, and is part of their passage into adulthood.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  2. #32
    Heisman

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McKinney, Texas, United States
    Posts
    11,787
    Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    This actually brings up an interesting question...does tolerance mean tolerating what one perceives as intolerance?

    Tolerate perceived intolerance, and you (perhaps rightly) are accused of not standing for any principles.

    Don't tolerate it and you (perhaps rightly) are accused of being a hypocrite.

    Or is there another, more potentially transformative way of coming at it?

    Honest question...I have no preconceived end conclusion that I'm trying to drive toward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    If a owner of his/her company does something against my community standard guess what ? i don't go there.
    Luth, I'd say Lakewood nailed it, with respect to the proper answer. If Ms. Dworkoski feels that the owners of Chick-Fil-A are doing something she perceives as intolerant, I'm absolutely supportive of her right to not patronize that business, and even to lobby others who may agree with her to not patronize it. When, in this case, she goes beyond that and attempts (in direct contradiction to what the Student Senate has already stated) to have that business removed and therefore made not available to others who may support its views, or simply who enjoy its product and don't find its views significant enough to make a fuss about; that's when she strays very firmly into intolerance herself.

    I may disagree with the homosexual lifestyle (although I'm not saying I do, and do have good friends who are gay) and that's certainly my right. When I attempt to banish those individuals from my neighborhood, school or workplace; then I'll submit that's when I've strayed firmly into the "intolerant" camp.

  3. #33
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vernon Hills, IL
    Posts
    1,964
    What would happen if we held our government to as high standards as a fast food restaurant?
    I am nothing without the grace of God

  4. #34
    Scout Team

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,144
    Quote Originally Posted by huskheartguy View Post
    What would happen if we held our government to as high standards as a fast food restaurant?
    Government would have to have standards to begin with.

  5. #35
    All Legend
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    17,885
    Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    This actually brings up an interesting question...does tolerance mean tolerating what one perceives as intolerance?

    Tolerate perceived intolerance, and you (perhaps rightly) are accused of not standing for any principles.

    Don't tolerate it and you (perhaps rightly) are accused of being a hypocrite.

    Or is there another, more potentially transformative way of coming at it?

    Honest question...I have no preconceived end conclusion that I'm trying to drive toward.
    I have a preconceived notion here. People absolutely have the right to not do business with people they perceive to be intolerant. The original poster's suggestion that somehow saying that if you are open and inclusive means you have to accept people who aren't is specious. Of course you can have standards.

    What these people are doing is simply voting with their pocketbook in the marketplace of ideas. That they are doing it by urging a boycott after or in advance of a store opening doesn't change the nature of it, nor does the fact that they are rallying others to their cause.

    Why would anyone think that it's wrong to have a view point and act on it?
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

  6. #36
    Heisman

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McKinney, Texas, United States
    Posts
    11,787
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    I have a preconceived notion here. People absolutely have the right to not do business with people they perceive to be intolerant. The original poster's suggestion that somehow saying that if you are open and inclusive means you have to accept people who aren't is specious. Of course you can have standards.

    What these people are doing is simply voting with their pocketbook in the marketplace of ideas. That they are doing it by urging a boycott after or in advance of a store opening doesn't change the nature of it, nor does the fact that they are rallying others to their cause.

    Why would anyone think that it's wrong to have a view point and act on it?
    If that was what she was doing - "simply voting with her pocketbook" or even urging & promoting a boycott by others who agree with her - as I previously stated, I'm in absolute agreement with that. That's NOT what she's doing though, she's trying to force the school to remove the business entirely from the campus, even though as she admits, "the Student Senators Council recently voted against removing vendors for political reasons." THAT shows more intolerance on her part then on the business's, who I don't think has made any attempt to get HER removed entirely from the campus because they may disagree with her.

  7. #37
    All Big 10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,109
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    Holy crap, are you seriously comparing Chik-Fil-A donating money to traditional family values organizations to the Ku Klux Klan? In the first response to the thread?
    It was an analogy for impact.

    From what I've read, the cfa folks seem like exceedingly decent people, except their wrongness on this issue.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    So, the klan should be welcomed open arms in the spirit of inclusiveness?

    Nothing wrong with college students exercising political power to pressure corporations when those corporations spend money lobbying against the students' belief.

    Isnt that the American way?

    Personally, I don't have a problem with chick fil-a, but I wonder why their shareholders think spending corporate money in that manner is good for the bottomline.
    Klan-fil-a and Chik-fil-a are two separate, unrelated examples...

  9. #39
    All Big 10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    Klan-fil-a and Chik-fil-a are two separate, unrelated examples...
    See above.

    See also Cardinals post.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by joestrummer View Post
    Personally, I love a Chick-Fil-A sandwich and waffle fries. However, when your company supports certain groups that might be viewed as controversial, I'd assume you're prepared for possible backlash.
    Sammich and waffle fries... ah yes, those are so good...

  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Agree.

    If it was a conservative group of college students protesting Starbucks in Washington state, the conservatives on this board would be all aglow with pride and posts about how great America is.
    Conservatives don't picket things. They protest with their closed wallets.

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    I think this shows just how little you know about conservatives. Why would a conservative group waste time protesting Starbucks? Their products are overrated and overpriced, but I can't stop the Occupy-types from spending their unemployment checks there.
    LOL Awesome.

  13. #43
    All Big 10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    Conservatives don't picket things. They protest with their closed wallets.
    Yeah, no conservative has ever picketed a planned parenthood...

    And plenty of conservatives participated in the Civil Rights movement.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  14. #44
    Starter
    CornfieldCounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,454
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Yeah, no conservative has ever picketed a planned parenthood...

    And plenty of conservatives participated in the Civil Rights movement.
    Broad brush painting again I see. Conservative HAS to mean Right wing, right?

    Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

    Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    This actually brings up an interesting question...does tolerance mean tolerating what one perceives as intolerance?

    Tolerate perceived intolerance, and you (perhaps rightly) are accused of not standing for any principles.

    Don't tolerate it and you (perhaps rightly) are accused of being a hypocrite.

    Or is there another, more potentially transformative way of coming at it?

    Honest question...I have no preconceived end conclusion that I'm trying to drive toward.
    Problem here is many or most "progressives" view even mainstream Christians as "intolerant". So, they have a blanket excuse for excluding Christians and the Christian voice from community involvement, education and government. Scary thing is how blatant and acceptable it has become.





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •