Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chick-Fil-A Not welcome at College campuses

Scout Team

Chick-Fil-A Not welcome at College campuses

Open and inclusive campuses except for .....you Chick Fil-A . Have to love liberals and their inclusive acceptance of others

"These donations, say NYU freshman Hillary Dworkoski, show that the restaurant is out of sync with her university’s “open and inclusive campus.”

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/hom...llege-campuses

All Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    Open and inclusive campuses except for .....you Chick Fil-A . Have to love liberals and their inclusive acceptance of others

"These donations, say NYU freshman Hillary Dworkoski, show that the restaurant is out of sync with her university’s “open and inclusive campus.”

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/hom...llege-campuses
    So, the klan should be welcomed open arms in the spirit of inclusiveness?

Nothing wrong with college students exercising political power to pressure corporations when those corporations spend money lobbying against the students' belief.

Isnt that the American way?

Personally, I don't have a problem with chick fil-a, but I wonder why their shareholders think spending corporate money in that manner is good for the bottomline.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

I'm in favor of gay rights but we're talking about company that donated less than 0.02% of their revenues over the past ten years to charities that (as one part of their larger mission) support a traditional definition of marriage. Chick-fil-A makes a bunch of other, more unquestionably positive donations to charities as well. Doesn't seem like forcing these guys off college campuses is really the best use of time.

All Big 10
    Yeah, but getting in front of a camera, or getting your name in print, is as important as the cause, apparently.

It is amazing to me that this is happening. If you don't agree with my lifestyle, why should you change to accept me? If I do not agree with your political stance, or ideology, why should you change to please me? If NYU freshman Hillary Dworkoski is so upset about this, then don't go there. Make a statement by not spending your money there. If they aren't making money, they will leave. I loved this statement:
    These donations, say NYU freshman Hillary Dworkoski, show that the restaurant is out of sync with her university’s “open and inclusive campus.”

“Maintaining a contract with an anti-gay vendor like Chick-fil-A undermines what makes this university so great,” she wrote, in a Change.org petition asking the school to give the fast food chain the boot.

Dworkoski, a bi-sexual, acknowledges that the Student Senators Council recently voted against removing vendors for “political reasons,” but argues that the school still allows the removal of companies that “violate human or labor rights.”
    So, she admits that this has nothing to do with them accepting her as bisexual. Then she rants about human rights. What about the rights of the people to work there to earn money? I guess that isn't as important as her getting her name out there for everyone to read.

I wonder what would happen if a popular restaurant chain left because of the bullying of Chick-Fil-A to leave? What would the outrage be then? Or would that restaurant be labelled as a sympathizerto an unpopular cause? Oh, the drama....
    You never stand so tall as when you kneel to help a child.

Rebel Alliance
    Hmmm, I wonder what the gay shift manager at my local Chick-Fil-A thinks about this.
    “Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself.” - Leo Tolstoy

Blackshirt
    They have "chick" in the title. They are obviously ran by sexist right wing men. Boycott em.
    I used to have superpowers.....but my therapist took them away...

This actually brings up an interesting question...does tolerance mean tolerating what one perceives as intolerance?

Tolerate perceived intolerance, and you (perhaps rightly) are accused of not standing for any principles.

Don't tolerate it and you (perhaps rightly) are accused of being a hypocrite.

Or is there another, more potentially transformative way of coming at it?

Honest question...I have no preconceived end conclusion that I'm trying to drive toward.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Rebel Alliance
    Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    This actually brings up an interesting question...does tolerance mean tolerating what one perceives as intolerance?

Tolerate perceived intolerance, and you (perhaps rightly) are accused of not standing for any principles.

Don't tolerate it and you (perhaps rightly) are accused of being a hypocrite.

Or is there another, more potentially transformative way of coming at it?

Honest question...I have no preconceived end conclusion that I'm trying to drive toward.
    The answer isn't to push people out by force but to 'defeat' (maybe convert is a better word) them with better ideas.

Tolerance doesn't necessarily mean acceptance. I can tolerate that my brother is an atheist but that doesn't mean I won't stop praying for him and being the best witness I can be.
    “Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself.” - Leo Tolstoy

This secular liberal atheist will take all the Chik-Fil-A Ms. Dworkoski doesn't want, then. People have the right to support whatever causes they want... me, I just want one of those chicken biscuits.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    The answer isn't to push people out by force but to 'defeat' (maybe convert is a better word) them with better ideas.
    Your brother tried that with you but you won't listen to reason.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Rebel Alliance
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    This secular liberal atheist will take all the Chik-Fil-A Ms. Dworkoski doesn't want, then. People have the right to support whatever causes they want... me, I just want one of those chicken biscuits.
    After reading this I think I am going their for lunch...

Rebel Alliance
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Your brother tried that with you but you won't listen to reason.
    Actually my brother is more intolerant of religion than you are. He takes every opportunity to belittle anyone that express a religious thought.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    I have only been to Chi-Fil-A once because it was right next to the hospital when my father had heart surgery. I got sick of hospital food and needed to get outside for a while. Can't remember the specific chicken sandwich that I got but I remember that it was good but not great. If I would have been impressed I certainly would have been back. My wife always has to go to Inn-N-Out when we are back in California as well. We see no reason to not go to a business just because they openly promote their religion.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

pray for me ;)
    Actually my brother is more intolerant of religion than you are. He takes every opportunity to belittle anyone that express a religious thought.
    More intolerant than me????? How is that even possible?

Rebel Alliance
    More intolerant than me????? How is that even possible?
    You need to work harder...much harder.

Personally, I love a Chick-Fil-A sandwich and waffle fries. However, when your company supports certain groups that might be viewed as controversial, I'd assume you're prepared for possible backlash.
    nm57

Travel Squad

I have only been to Chi-Fil-A once because it was right next to the hospital when my father had heart surgery. I got sick of hospital food and needed to get outside for a while. Can't remember the specific chicken sandwich that I got but I remember that it was good but not great. If I would have been impressed I certainly would have been back. My wife always has to go to Inn-N-Out when we are back in California as well. We see no reason to not go to a business just because they openly promote their religion.
    Was it the Parker hospital?

Rebel Alliance
    Quote Originally Posted by joestrummer View Post
    Personally, I love a Chick-Fil-A sandwich and waffle fries. However, when your company supports certain groups that might be viewed as controversial, I'd assume you're prepared for possible backlash.
    Every group is viewed as controversial by someone...

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weinosker View Post
    Was it the Parker hospital?
    It was.

Every group is viewed as controversial by someone...
    Probably so, but I guess I don't remember college students picketing Subway or Wendy's or whatever, maybe they have. Free markets rule!
    nm57