Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Santorum, Romney both have edge over Obama

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by COsker View Post
    I've always thought voting based predominantly on social issues was casting a vote emotionally.
    I like to think I'm more analytical than emotional in deciding. That's why I'm not ruling Santorum out at this point. I would take a closer look to see what I think would happen.

But there are clearly millions of Republicans to the right of me on social issues who would, given the chance, only focus on social issues and who don't give a whit about economic ones. Talk about "emotional".
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    On Obama's economic approach: I have defended his stimulus as necessary at the time, with the idea that we would address the deficit after the economy was stabilized. I still think had the stimulus been even bigger, and better designed, it could have stabilized us with lower unemployment. But that's water under the bridge at this point. I feel now we need to address the deficit. I don't think the democratic party has the stones or in some cases even the desire to do it.

So I strongly prefer a Republic administration that honestly takes the economy as it only task. But if the Republican party gives me a candidate chosen by people far to the right of me on social issues, I am very concerned that the party, and that candidate, will think his real job is that agenda.

Why don't we just pick the boring but competent guy and get started?
    Boring? Hey, who cares? Not everything in life has to be American Idol, does it? Who cares about if he's (Obama) done the job he said--and was elected--to do? The electorate has got to get past this need for the President to be their source of entertainment.

Many have argued the stimulus was "necessary". What I don't see is a fair analysis of whether it was effective. Did we get everything we paid for. No asking the genie for wishes of more money, just as it was. Did it do what we were told it would do? Did the results match the rhetoric?

It's amazing to me how many people blow right past the waste and fraud--the boondoggles--of that spending. Our government--left and right--have shown NO ABILITY to spend our tax dollars in an efficient, effective manner. We're big, we're bloated and we're glutens. We also deserve what we get fiscally if we continue to allow elected officials to poor billions into a rat hole, then cheer that unemployment "stayed" at 8.3%. God help us.

And regardless of whether his supporters want to face it or not, President Obama has precided over record spending and record waste with incredibly underwhelming results. Talk about lower expectations.

So now, lets lose sleep over contraception and the Church....

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    I understand where you're coming from, and I haven't yet decided I won't vote for Santorum myself, so what I'm about to say is just for discussion.

My fear, is that if Santorum DOES win the nomination, it is because his party WANTS him to do social issues above economic ones. If it's economic, they would pick Romney. So Santorum will feel a mandate to actually DO something. What he might want to do is likely unacceptable to me.
    You aren't the only one with these concerns, obviously. His 16 years in Congress show that he actually governs quite reasonably.

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    This is a great post that I think sums up what a vast number of independent voters are thinking in regards to this election.
    I would agree with your feelings. It was a good post.

It also sums up the feelings of this conservative Republican. At this point, social issues need to take a backseat to fixing the economy and protecting the nation. I don't care how dull the guy is, they could wheel him in on a gurney for all I care, just as long as he can get the job done.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    says the guy who started the ShePAC thread.
    I'm sorry, when did Bill Maher announce for President again?

God of Huskermax

[B]

Boring? Hey, who cares? Not everything in life has to be American Idol, does it? Who cares about if he's (Obama) done the job he said--and was elected--to do? The electorate has got to get past this need for the President to be their source of entertainment.

Many have argued the stimulus was "necessary". What I don't see is a fair analysis of whether it was effective. Did we get everything we paid for. No asking the genie for wishes of more money, just as it was. Did it do what we were told it would do? Did the results match the rhetoric?

It's amazing to me how many people blow right past the waste and fraud--the boondoggles--of that spending. Our government--left and right--have shown NO ABILITY to spend our tax dollars in an efficient, effective manner. We're big, we're bloated and we're glutens. We also deserve what we get fiscally if we continue to allow elected officials to poor billions into a rat hole, then cheer that unemployment "stayed" at 8.3%. God help us.

And regardless of whether his supporters want to face it or not, President Obama has precided over record spending and record waste with incredibly underwhelming results. Talk about lower expectations.

So now, lets lose sleep over contraception and the Church....
    While I disagree with you. This is a great post and I hope we see more of this type from you.
    I'm sorry, when did Bill Maher announce for President again?
    I apologize. That was an unfair cheap shot by me.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    You aren't the only one with these concerns, obviously. His 16 years in Congress show that he actually governs quite reasonably.
    That's why I am not ruling out Santorum yet. Several weeks ago I mentioned that I think he is smart enough to be President. He may be smart enough also to realize, at the end of the day, he can argue for certain things on the social front - like say, not using contraceptives (it's not like he's evil for thinking that or anything) - and be aware that he can only ever choose to use moral suasion, not the power of the government, to do something like that. If I decide that he's trustworthy in that way, I may be able to support him.

But my big worry, Thill, is that there are many, many people on the far right who simply see no reason the government shouldn't enforce morality by fiat. I can't and won't let them in the door. They are beyond the pale.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

But there are clearly millions of Republicans to the right of me on social issues who would, given the chance, only focus on social issues and who don't give a whit about economic ones. Talk about "emotional".
    I agree. But why is it that when it's the right, everybody makes a big stink about "social issues"? There's not nearly the concern from what comes at this country socially from the left. The same folks that snicker about San Fransisco banning toys in Happy Meals and allowing folks to walk nude down the street go into complete shock when a kid wants to wear his American flag t-shirt to school....

I agree. But why is it that when it's the right, everybody makes a big stink about "social issues"? There's not nearly the concern from what comes at this country socially from the left. The same folks that snicker about San Fransisco banning toys in Happy Meals and allowing folks to walk nude down the street go into complete shock when a kid wants to wear his American flag t-shirt to school....
    Answer: media
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

That's why I am not ruling out Santorum yet. Several weeks ago I mentioned that I think he is smart enough to be President. He may be smart enough also to realize, at the end of the day, he can argue for certain things on the social front - like say, not using contraceptives (it's not like he's evil for thinking that or anything) - and be aware that he can only ever choose to use moral suasion, not the power of the government, to do something like that. If I decide that he's trustworthy in that way, I may be able to support him.

But my big worry, Thill, is that there are many, many people on the far right who simply see no reason the government shouldn't enforce morality by fiat. I can't and won't let them in the door. They are beyond the pale.
    Not arguing against the point, but do you recognize it when the very same thing comes at you from the left?

All Legend
    Just to show you conservatives that despite my social libertarianism I'm still not a closet democrat. Let me throw one more piece of meat out to you which would never be accepted by the democratic party:

I want to let people make their own choices, but I don't want to pay for the consequences of their choices. For example, I would like to significantly scale back government assistance for unwed mothers, for example, so when they make their choices they know it's either going to be the father, or their family, or some charity, or themselves that is going to have to help them. I would phase that in over 10 years or so, and let private charities gear up to help.

I see no reason the government should be forced to underwrite the consequences of people's poor choices. And I'm confident many people would find they have the resources of character to do what needs to be done when they have to depend on themselves, their families, and their social institutions. And in the few remaining cases where people can't find those inner resources, I'm confident their families and private charities would (re-)learn to step up.

All Legend
    Not arguing against the point, but do you recognize it when the very same thing comes at you from the left?
    Yes. I think there are a great many liberals who would like to social engineer us to be exactly like they think we should be.

All Legend
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally started threads attacking San Francisco on the Happy Meals thing. I think I was probably the most vocal on the board on that. I also don't have a problem with a kid wearing his American flag t-shirt to school. And whether or not it's OK for someone to walk nude down the street, that depends on what she looks like.

All Legend
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally started threads attacking San Francisco on the Happy Meals thing. I think I was probably the most vocal on the board on that. I also don't have a problem with a kid wearing his American flag t-shirt to school. And whether or not it's OK for someone to walk nude down the street, that depends on what she looks like.
    But I am an agnostic, and am usually in the "don't like prayer in school or public sphere" crowd, I think (obviously) quite defensibly. When someone's choices won't cost the government anything, my philosophy is it should stay way back from the individual. So I will admit most conservatives don't seem to like me, or are at least suspicious.

What about compelling coverage for immoral behavior through fiat?

+1

Oh my!
    If he were still alive, what do you think Andrew Martinez would say about that?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

But I am an agnostic, and am usually in the "don't like prayer in school or public sphere" crowd, I think (obviously) quite defensibly. When someone's choices won't cost the government anything, my philosophy is it should stay way back from the individual. So I will admit most conservatives don't seem to like me, or are at least suspicious.
    In all honesty, what policies does the far right put into place which curtails behavior on a moral level? Leave out abortion, as that is for another thread, and the left is as passionate about one side of that argument as the right is on the other.

Is it the right trying to ban happy meal toys? No
    Is it the right trying to ban smoking? No
    Is it the right trying to ban transfats? No

You don't see a whole lot of right-wing activists, mainly because people on the right want to go to work and just have the government stay out of their lives. Sure, the NRA is an activist right-wing group, even though they are non-partisan, but what is is they fight for? LESS RESTRICTIONS!

All Legend
    To give you an example, I think the left wants to say it is immoral for people to have religious objections (or any objections) to gay marriage. Now I personally don't have any objections to gay marriage, and I even told my kids when they were adolescents that I would love them if they turned out gay (which they basically told me they realized already - and they turned out straight, btw), and I have gay friends and relatives. But I still think it's inappropriate for the left to marginalize those who feel that way, and not desirable for the courts to say gay marriage is OK under the Constitution, when in fact it simply wasn't anticipated to be addressed by the Constitution. I do feel it is fine - and will vote for it - if a majority want to make gay marriage legal in an election. But I also prefer that government quit providing differential treatment to anyone based on marital status anyway and let marriage be a personal choice.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    What about compelling coverage for immoral behavior through fiat?
    The government has regulated health insurance policies for what is covered for 40 or 50 years, maybe longer. They've regulated life insurance policies for longer than that. I support government regulation in many cases where I think it makes markets work better, not worse. To me, requiring coverage of contraception is fine. After all, a person doesn't have to use it, and availability of coverage doesn't force anyone to have sex. And I don't know why the government should get to decide that any kind of sex is immoral anyway.

In terms of the recent issue with respect to church institutions being required to offer contraceptives, I early on argued for a wide exemption for church owned organization that have a real objection to birth control. And I actually think the Obama administrations compromise is no real compromise at all. (I would like to take a hard look to make sure any non-church activities that churches are involved in are paying taxes as if they weren't churches though.)