Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Who is our "Texas" in the Big 10

Administrator

Who is our "Texas" in the Big 10

This article dissects the possibilities. It's great to be in the Big 10.

Link.
    "I'm a firm believer in the theory that people only do their best at things they truly enjoy. It is difficult to excel at something you don't enjoy." – Jack Nicklaus

Big Red Fan!!!

Too early to tell. IMO. I think we need to give it 5 more years to develop a pattern.

Husker Fan
    One thing's for certain. Nebraska has been "second-tier" for quite a few years now. Thus, we have at least a couple teams that could qualify as our "Texas of the Big Ten."

Well, Minnesota is about 9 games up on us, so maybe the Gophers are the new Longhorns?

Here's my take, which considers both football prowess AND school traditions/culture:

Kansasota Jayphers: this school has a long history with Nebraska. And while they may have been historically much stronger, they find themselves getting pounded into the sand by Nebraska year after year. It's alright though, just wait until basketball or hockey season and they'll own Nebraska six-ways-from-Sunday.

Knorthwestern State Wildcats: these purple wildcats boast a decent program that often plays spoiler to the big boys. An innovative coach helps them do more with less. When Nebraska loses to this team, it stings a lot more because they were supposed to be a pushover.

MissiowaTigerhawks:classic rivalry series with a slightly lesser opponent. This team has all the makings of a champion - solid fundamentals, good skill players, great coaching - but they seem to waffle

Penxas A&M Nittagies: the Nittagies have a proud program steeped in tradition. They're always competitive and put up wins, but still manage to finish 2nd or 3rd in their division most years. Overall, they have a friendly relationship with Nebraska, but don't overlook the many controversial calls that have littered this series. Most years, they're able to trade blows with the Huskers and games aren't usually settled until deep in the 4th.

Purdas Tech Red Boilers: life's not easy for a football team in West Lafayubbock. Still, the Red Boilers have managed to stay afloat always fielding competitive teams. They might win the conference once in a blue moon, but they'll manage to give Nebraska trouble now and again. A solid team that generally makes a bowl game.

Iowinois State Illiclones: the Illiclones often get passed over by the national media, but they still manage to play tough games, often upsetting teams like the Buckhorns or Badger Boys. Nebraska doesn't typically have too much trouble handling this game, but it's still no cake walk.

Baydiana Bearsiers: Basketball, basketball, basketball. The Bearsiers pretty much live for anything outside of football season. Sure, they might have 1 amazing season a decade, but they're the perennial doormat for other teams in the league. The Huskers own this series and that doesn't look to change any time soon.

Michorado State Spartaloes: the Spartaloes are a mixed bag. They've had amazing seasons - and long stretches of losing. While they're never really a "true" rival for Nebraska, they'll certainly make the games tough. This mid-tier program manages to pull off impressive wins now and again, and Nebraska will ultiamtely lose a few games in the series. Mostly, it should be a one-sided affair but don't overlook this divisional foe.

Michihoma Wolverooners: this team has a history with Nebraska. Bowl games, split titles, competitive play. Pound for pound, nobody else in the conference matches up against the Huskers this well. The Coke to our Pepsi. These games are filled with highlight reel moments and burned into the collective minds of football fans everywhere.

Wiscohoma State Badger Boys: 10 years ago, this team was doing well to make a mid-tier bowl. But changes in Madisonwater have turned the tide for the Badger Boys. They won the conference last year and look to capitalize on that success again. No longer relegated to playing second fiddle, they're out for blood, taking down the traditional big guns. Nebraska hasn't struggled here in the past, but it's new game these days.

Texahio State Buckhorns:proud and pompous, the Buckhorns own this conference. Or at least they do in their own minds. But who could blame them given their recent success? They win and win a lot. Last year wasn't great, but coaching changes will get them back in their element. Nebraska will fight tooth and nail in these games - and still lose many of them. Off-field antics aside, though, this team actually makes Nebraska better with their tough competition.

Blackshirt
    Although I understand the intention of this thread, NOBODY will ever replace texas as the team I hate more than any other. Not only did they beat us on the field, they also took over and ultimately destroyed our beloved Big 8 conference. Horns down.
    Train Insane or Stay the Same! @TheRedOne80

Varsity

None !! Not even sure what thats supposed to mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Red93 View Post
    Although I understand the intention of this thread, NOBODY will ever replace texas as the team I hate more than any other. Not only did they beat us on the field, they also took over and ultimately destroyed our beloved Big 8 conference. Horns down.
    This.

While I compared Ohio State to Texas, in reality the Buckeyes could probably never take that honor (?) from Texas. To even come close, some other school would have to beat us 10 times in a row, buy off some refs, orchestrate a hit on Tom Osborne, frame Bo Pelini for murder and get Nebraska kicked out of the Union.

All Legend
    Easy....tis Ohio State...They control the B1G

I guess the answer depends on how you interpret the question.

For me, the new "Texas" will be the team that manages to find a way to pull out a close win, no matter who's favored. Losing games you're supposed to win sucks, and losing games in the waning minutes when you were never supposed to have a chance to begin with hurts even more. Grrr.

It'll take a few years to figure out who that is, if anyone. My WAG is Michigan State, but I really couldn't tell you why. Just a gut feeling.

As long as it isn't Iowa. My Iowa-fan friends are often insufferable enough sometimes. Heh.

Administrator
    My guess is Michigan, Ohio state, Wisconsin. Those 3 are the most consistent teams in the top 3 of the Big Ten.

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Huskers will be Ohio State's Texas.

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaGene View Post
    Huskers will be Ohio State's Texas.
    I like this.
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    Well, Minnesota is about 9 games up on us, so maybe the Gophers are the new Longhorns?

Here's my take, which considers both football prowess AND school traditions/culture:

Kansasota Jayphers: this school has a long history with Nebraska. And while they may have been historically much stronger, they find themselves getting pounded into the sand by Nebraska year after year. It's alright though, just wait until basketball or hockey season and they'll own Nebraska six-ways-from-Sunday.

Knorthwestern State Wildcats: these purple wildcats boast a decent program that often plays spoiler to the big boys. An innovative coach helps them do more with less. When Nebraska loses to this team, it stings a lot more because they were supposed to be a pushover.

MissiowaTigerhawks:classic rivalry series with a slightly lesser opponent. This team has all the makings of a champion - solid fundamentals, good skill players, great coaching - but they seem to waffle

Penxas A&M Nittagies: the Nittagies have a proud program steeped in tradition. They're always competitive and put up wins, but still manage to finish 2nd or 3rd in their division most years. Overall, they have a friendly relationship with Nebraska, but don't overlook the many controversial calls that have littered this series. Most years, they're able to trade blows with the Huskers and games aren't usually settled until deep in the 4th.

Purdas Tech Red Boilers: life's not easy for a football team in West Lafayubbock. Still, the Red Boilers have managed to stay afloat always fielding competitive teams. They might win the conference once in a blue moon, but they'll manage to give Nebraska trouble now and again. A solid team that generally makes a bowl game.

Iowinois State Illiclones: the Illiclones often get passed over by the national media, but they still manage to play tough games, often upsetting teams like the Buckhorns or Badger Boys. Nebraska doesn't typically have too much trouble handling this game, but it's still no cake walk.

Baydiana Bearsiers: Basketball, basketball, basketball. The Bearsiers pretty much live for anything outside of football season. Sure, they might have 1 amazing season a decade, but they're the perennial doormat for other teams in the league. The Huskers own this series and that doesn't look to change any time soon.

Michorado State Spartaloes: the Spartaloes are a mixed bag. They've had amazing seasons - and long stretches of losing. While they're never really a "true" rival for Nebraska, they'll certainly make the games tough. This mid-tier program manages to pull off impressive wins now and again, and Nebraska will ultiamtely lose a few games in the series. Mostly, it should be a one-sided affair but don't overlook this divisional foe.

Michihoma Wolverooners: this team has a history with Nebraska. Bowl games, split titles, competitive play. Pound for pound, nobody else in the conference matches up against the Huskers this well. The Coke to our Pepsi. These games are filled with highlight reel moments and burned into the collective minds of football fans everywhere.

Wiscohoma State Badger Boys: 10 years ago, this team was doing well to make a mid-tier bowl. But changes in Madisonwater have turned the tide for the Badger Boys. They won the conference last year and look to capitalize on that success again. No longer relegated to playing second fiddle, they're out for blood, taking down the traditional big guns. Nebraska hasn't struggled here in the past, but it's new game these days.

Texahio State Buckhorns:proud and pompous, the Buckhorns own this conference. Or at least they do in their own minds. But who could blame them given their recent success? They win and win a lot. Last year wasn't great, but coaching changes will get them back in their element. Nebraska will fight tooth and nail in these games - and still lose many of them. Off-field antics aside, though, this team actually makes Nebraska better with their tough competition.
    I think this is a pretty good analysis of the old and new conferences.
    Stay true to your roots.

Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by 68hskr View Post
    I think this is a pretty good analysis of the old and new conferences.
    I like the analysis as well. Seems pretty close.

However, I see the Michigan as that team. They've beaten us in the first meeting. They are accumulating talent at a good pace. Perhaps I'm just negative, but since I live in Michigan, I'm guessing they will be the biggest thorn in my side.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post

Very nice, you nailed it

All American
    Quote Originally Posted by Red93 View Post
    +1

It isn't what UT did on the field, It's what they did off the field, and how they took over the conference, after being BAILED OUT BY the Big 8.
    Go Big Red!

Scout Team
    Not sure how to explain it, but for me, Michigan replaces Oklahoma as the team I most hate losing to. Last year, I stopped watching the UM game at halftime (as I occasionally did with OU), because they were dominating us, and I hated see us lose to them.
    Hadn't done that for 20 years.

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Country Doc View Post
    +1

It isn't what UT did on the field, It's what they did off the field, and how they took over the conference, after being BAILED OUT BY the Big 8.
    There's one thing they did on the field that steams my beans: when they tried to plant the TU flag in our turf. That ranks right up (down?) there with the bluffs jumping up and down on our logo. Disrespectful, poor sportsmanship and only purpose is to antagonize.
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post
    There's one thing they did on the field that steams my beans: when they tried to plant the TU flag in our turf. That ranks right up (down?) there with the bluffs jumping up and down on our logo. Disrespectful, poor sportsmanship and only purpose is to antagonize.
    i remember that. It was the only time I truly wanted to throw a bottle or something at a player(s).

The issue I had with Texas is they owned the refs. Texas would drag our DL to the ground and nothing. Our offense...throw a flag. Remember the "late" hit verse AM? .01? They were so bought it wasn't funny.

I think the B10 is better than that.

Varsity
    I would think for the fact that so many are still obsessed with the "Texas" effect on and off the field currently, even though we are no longer involved with them shows that no other school will be able to be our "Texas" let alone a school in the B1G. Even though tOSU would seem to have much more pull with the conference than say' Purdue or NwU, they aren't looking to center the entire conference around themselves, for the sole gain of themselves the way the Longhorns did the SWC+Big8 (BigXII). I think we are in a better overall fit in this conference than we were in the BigXII and maybe even the Big 8 (6). The "Texas" effect will forever be stuck on many fans, so even if we do get "ball checked" by a current conference member, they will still be compared to Texas which would make Texas our ......."Texas" still.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarstheRed View Post
    I'm not looking for perfection, but you have to feel that every time Bo saw TM about to be interviewed he had to have a serious case of butt clench.