Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the process?

Varsity
    could we extrapolate the concept over to basketball? For both teams, we need a 'process' that leads to continual improvement. Some might think the both teams should be competing for a national title immediately simply by hiring a new coach. But, in both cases, there is some building/rebuilding required. To me, the word process could perhaps be replaced by the word 'plan'. When you hire a coach, you probably want to ask them how they plan to build a successful program that competes for titles...if they can't articulate the plan, you have nothing to measure them on except results. If you know the plan, you can measure them on how well they are executing the plan. For example (purely hypothetical), if TO is on board with the 'plan/process' and injuries short-circuit the next step in the plan, he can more easily assess whether a coaching change is needed. If the plan/process just isn't being executed or the execution doesn't bring the required results, you have a very easy decision to make.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    I don't think that at all. I'm not a results-oriented person. You know, people don't have any idea what's going on within this program. All they see is 9, 10, 10, 9. What I'm doing is continually looking for ways to improve the process because that's what I believe in - the process. The process will lead to the results. It's a day-to-day grind. That's what I try to get through to our team. It's part of the education. It's continually investing in the process and making the process better. That's what our program's built on. "The average fan doesn't even get what I'm talking about. They don't have the experience in the game. I wholeheartedly believe in what we're doing. But I'm always looking to make it even better."

http://huskerextra.com/sports/husker...c96751e88.html

So, Bo keeps everything hush-hush then turns around and says the fans don't know what's going on....

The not results oriented could explain our QB situation the past couple of years
    Good comments. You have to remember, we have a rookie head coach even after 4 years of duty. He seems to have serious difficulty communicating with anyone (media, fans) he can't get away with yelling at, so he marginalizes them. He seems to have little respect for anyone else...IMO his ego won't allow it. Funny how in the past he talked about winning championships, but now that he's been here long enough to prove himself...he tries to tell us that results don't matter so that he can get more time. He can't explain something he's continually trying to figure out and he seems concerned that his results won't be there any time soon. Thankfully, this stuff isn't brain surgery so maybe he'll keep getting lucky and getting the 9 wins or so that he doesn't really think matter.

PS- interesting that the same folks that blew a gasket when Callahan said "it's only one game" won't have any problem with Bo being "non results oriented." That comment is frightening.

All Legend
    "marginalizes"....good word choice

Varsity

"marginalizes"....good word choice
    Very nice.

So GFOA is going to be your expert witness in today's Bo-bashing exercise?

That's certainly somebody who has to have a great deal invested in not understanding coachspeak and having to slant an innocuous statement into something negative.

I thought that Sip's article with Bo was very enlightening and certainly didn't feel threatened by any of the commentary. In fact, there seemed to be a decent amount shared that would give reason for optimism going into this spring, IMO.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    Very nice.

That's certainly somebody who has to have a great deal invested in not understanding coachspeak and having to slant an innocuous statement into something negative.

I thought that Sip's article with Bo was very enlightening and certainly didn't feel threatened by any of the commentary. In fact, there seemed to be a decent amount shared that would give reason for optimism going into this spring, IMO.
    So, can you tell us what the process is?

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    Very nice.

BTW: I see what ya did there as you're no stranger to marginalizing folks too.

And this ain't a Bo-Bashing exercise...I don't know why some folks think questioning what Bo said or his actions, considers that to be Bo bashing? Maybe the average fans that don't know what's going on in the program just want to learn a little more.

Antediluvian Abrasiveness
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    PS- interesting that the same folks that blew a gasket when Callahan said "it's only one game" won't have any problem with Bo being "non results oriented." That comment is frightening.
    I'm geniunely surprised that, after all these years, you're still so bitter about the way the calllahan deal worked out for you. Your continued demand for revenge firings is what I truly find frightening.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I geniunely surprised that, after all these years, you're still so bitter about the way the calllahan deal worked out for you. Your continued demand for revenge firings is what I truly find frightening.
    Not at all. I had no more interest in the BC firing than any other fan that was disappointed by his inability as a coach. Sadly, the revered replacement has not shown the ability to move us sufficiently over his 4 years even though he has been a slight improvement. I am beginning to think that Bo's results so far can be attributed more to TO's mentoring than to Bo himself. This year should prove interesting. I see no reason to give Pelini much longer if he is unable to win championships...this year or 2013 should get us something more than another underwhelming 9 win season.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I geniunely surprised that, after all these years, you're still so bitter about the way the calllahan deal worked out for you. Your continued demand for revenge firings is what I truly find frightening.
    Yep, I agree Sonny. Let's just keep churning coaches like what GFOA - makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

I thought the interview was great. I'm very optimistic heading in to this season. I think the hire of Joseph is an upgrade (certainly can't be a downgrade from Raymond). And, I liked what Bo had to say. In fact, wouldn't be surprised if he took Raymond aside and let him know what a great opportunity it'd be for him to coach at his alma matter.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Weinosker View Post
    Yep, I agree Sonny. Let's just keep churning coaches like what GFOA - makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?
    We'll never find our diamond, if we settle for a shiney rock.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Weinosker View Post

I thought the interview was great. I'm very optimistic heading in to this season. I think the hire of Joseph is an upgrade (certainly can't be a downgrade from Raymond). And, I liked what Bo had to say. In fact, wouldn't be surprised if he took Raymond aside and let him know what a great opportunity it'd be for him to coach at his alma matter.
    Funny stuff....one paragraph against coaching changes and another thanking Bo for making em....

BTW: What's the process?

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post
    The quote that surprised me was "I'm not a results oriented person."

If that's the case, what is the point of the "the process."

Bo didn't think that one through.
    You can have a bad outcome after making a good decision - I think that is what he is really saying there.
    When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. - A. Lincoln

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir W. Churchill

Spend 50% of your time taking care of your business and 50% leaving everyone else's alone.

Travel Squad

Funny stuff....one paragraph against coaching changes and another thanking Bo for making em....

BTW: What's the process?
    I'm not against all coaching change... (See the basketball board). I'm hesitant to criticize coaches. In fact, if you searched, you won't find much there. I'm OK with questioning and critiquing things, some of you seem to jump to a final decision real quick.

I'm against getting rid of a head coach that has consistently won 9 games for us. Remember how that worked out last time it happened?

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    We'll never find our diamond, if we settle for a shiney rock.
    Yeah, let's fire another 9-win coach that is well-respected and see what happens. Can't polish a turd, dude, and that's what we'd be left with.

Blackshirt
    And this ain't a Bo-Bashing exercise...I don't know why some folks think questioning what Bo said or his actions, considers that to be Bo bashing? Maybe the average fans that don't know what's going on in the program just want to learn a little more.
    Utsker, sorry if I hijacked the thread a bit and went off on Bo. I'll step out of the thread now and let further discussion of the mysterious process go on. Perhaps, fRed will define the process for us and describe the key differences in Bo's process (from other BIG programs) that will lead to championships soon.