Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the process?

All Legend

What is the process?

And where is it written down at?

Husker Immortal
    slow and steady

Heisman
    Work hard every day - on and off the football field.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.

Big Red Fan!!!

One foot in front of the other.

Recruit

The first step of the process is to never talk about the process

Husker Immortal
    I think this thread has run its course--at least I hope so.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Junior Varsity
    Is this one of those word association games that usualy gets me into trouble?
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

Old Timer

My attempt at a serious answer.

It is the application of the Bo Pelini philosophy for success. Any further definition would rely on a knowledge of that philosophy and since it is not written anywhere that I know of, I just have to fit pieces into that knowledge base from observation.

Or, you could just say it is coach-speak for doing what he tells you to do.

The quote that surprised me was "I'm not a results oriented person."

If that's the case, what is the point of the "the process."

Bo didn't think that one through.

Rebel Alliance
    You put your left foot in. You put your left out. You put your left foot in and you shake it all about.
    As government gets bigger people get smaller

Red Shirt
    It's something every football (insert any sport) player learns when they first step on the field, "do your job".
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

All Legend
    I don't think that at all. I'm not a results-oriented person. You know, people don't have any idea what's going on within this program. All they see is 9, 10, 10, 9. What I'm doing is continually looking for ways to improve the process because that's what I believe in - the process. The process will lead to the results. It's a day-to-day grind. That's what I try to get through to our team. It's part of the education. It's continually investing in the process and making the process better. That's what our program's built on. "The average fan doesn't even get what I'm talking about. They don't have the experience in the game. I wholeheartedly believe in what we're doing. But I'm always looking to make it even better."

http://huskerextra.com/sports/husker...c96751e88.html

So, Bo keeps everything hush-hush then turns around and says the fans don't know what's going on....

The not results oriented could explain our QB situation the past couple of years

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflation View Post
    It's something every football (insert any sport) player learns when they first step on the field, "do your job".
    It doesn't just apply to sports...it definitely applied to the military too and even applies to my desk flying job these days....so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the average fan, and even the below average fan (whatever that is) gets it.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post
    The quote that surprised me was "I'm not a results oriented person."

If that's the case, what is the point of the "the process."

Bo didn't think that one through.
    Yeah, I wondered about that statement too.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Varsity

THe Process is The Process. Hope that helps UT !!

Varsity
    could we extrapolate the concept over to basketball? For both teams, we need a 'process' that leads to continual improvement. Some might think the both teams should be competing for a national title immediately simply by hiring a new coach. But, in both cases, there is some building/rebuilding required. To me, the word process could perhaps be replaced by the word 'plan'. When you hire a coach, you probably want to ask them how they plan to build a successful program that competes for titles...if they can't articulate the plan, you have nothing to measure them on except results. If you know the plan, you can measure them on how well they are executing the plan. For example (purely hypothetical), if TO is on board with the 'plan/process' and injuries short-circuit the next step in the plan, he can more easily assess whether a coaching change is needed. If the plan/process just isn't being executed or the execution doesn't bring the required results, you have a very easy decision to make.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    I don't think that at all. I'm not a results-oriented person. You know, people don't have any idea what's going on within this program. All they see is 9, 10, 10, 9. What I'm doing is continually looking for ways to improve the process because that's what I believe in - the process. The process will lead to the results. It's a day-to-day grind. That's what I try to get through to our team. It's part of the education. It's continually investing in the process and making the process better. That's what our program's built on. "The average fan doesn't even get what I'm talking about. They don't have the experience in the game. I wholeheartedly believe in what we're doing. But I'm always looking to make it even better."

http://huskerextra.com/sports/husker...c96751e88.html

So, Bo keeps everything hush-hush then turns around and says the fans don't know what's going on....

The not results oriented could explain our QB situation the past couple of years
    Good comments. You have to remember, we have a rookie head coach even after 4 years of duty. He seems to have serious difficulty communicating with anyone (media, fans) he can't get away with yelling at, so he marginalizes them. He seems to have little respect for anyone else...IMO his ego won't allow it. Funny how in the past he talked about winning championships, but now that he's been here long enough to prove himself...he tries to tell us that results don't matter so that he can get more time. He can't explain something he's continually trying to figure out and he seems concerned that his results won't be there any time soon. Thankfully, this stuff isn't brain surgery so maybe he'll keep getting lucky and getting the 9 wins or so that he doesn't really think matter.

PS- interesting that the same folks that blew a gasket when Callahan said "it's only one game" won't have any problem with Bo being "non results oriented." That comment is frightening.

All Legend
    "marginalizes"....good word choice

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    "marginalizes"....good word choice
    Very nice.

So GFOA is going to be your expert witness in today's Bo-bashing exercise?

That's certainly somebody who has to have a great deal invested in not understanding coachspeak and having to slant an innocuous statement into something negative.

I thought that Sip's article with Bo was very enlightening and certainly didn't feel threatened by any of the commentary. In fact, there seemed to be a decent amount shared that would give reason for optimism going into this spring, IMO.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    Very nice.

So GFOA is going to be your expert witness in today's Bo-bashing exercise?

That's certainly somebody who has to have a great deal invested in not understanding coachspeak and having to slant an innocuous statement into something negative.

I thought that Sip's article with Bo was very enlightening and certainly didn't feel threatened by any of the commentary. In fact, there seemed to be a decent amount shared that would give reason for optimism going into this spring, IMO.
    So, can you tell us what the process is?