Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I am interviewing a Candidate for Associate Pastor ....

Recruit

So I am interviewing a Candidate for Associate Pastor ....

First thing he says when he walks in the room --- "Did you bring any Valentinos with you?"

I knew immediately I liked this guy! We then talked about Runza and Amigos and bowl games he has gone to .... Eventually we got around to talking about his attitude toward ministry and serving people here in Grand Island and how to reach out to 18-35 year olds. Obviously first things first!

He then tells me that while in St. Louis he reads this website to keep in touch with the Huskers -- he knew who I was and many others that we shared ... LutheranHusker in Lincoln; JonCarl -- I shared the story of talking with him about a funeral they were conducting here in Grand Island and many other fun stories.

Young man is from Lincoln, his wife is from Seward. He attends Christ Lutheran in Lincoln and his wife attends St. John's in Seward. Both are UNL grads.

Biggest problem I told him he would have to deal with is that we have church on Saturday night and he would have to lead it -- while I take his tickets and go with his folks!!!

So -- what amazing interviews or stories of surprise meetings have others had with Husker Nation.

Rev.

Scout Team
    Rev, if you don't hire this guy keep him on a string. If he is Missouri Synod, my church might need him someday. I like our two pastors, but one is a KU fan and the other is a Mizzou fan, it would good to have a Husker leading our congregation some time.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure of the former." Albert Einstein

What a great story Rev....

Blessings to you and yours...
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker89-93 View Post
    Rev, if you don't hire this guy keep him on a string. If he is Missouri Synod, my church might need him someday. I like our two pastors, but one is a KU fan and the other is a Mizzou fan, it would good to have a Husker leading our congregation some time.

I think I would find another church.

Blackshirt
    RevHusker: If anything comes of this. You need to get him signed as a member on HuskerMax.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

Husker Immortal
    nice story, enjoyed the read.

Recruit

Good story. Too bad he isn't in Iowa. My LCMS pator is a Michigan fan.

Rollin' Huskers
    Wherever our RV is parked - currently Stonewall Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by RevHusker View Post
    First thing he says when he walks in the room --- "Did you bring any Valentinos with you?"

I knew immediately I liked this guy! We then talked about Runza and Amigos and bowl games he has gone to .... Eventually we got around to talking about his attitude toward ministry and serving people here in Grand Island and how to reach out to 18-35 year olds. Obviously first things first!

He then tells me that while in St. Louis he reads this website to keep in touch with the Huskers -- he knew who I was and many others that we shared ... LutheranHusker in Lincoln; JonCarl -- I shared the story of talking with him about a funeral they were conducting here in Grand Island and many other fun stories.

Young man is from Lincoln, his wife is from Seward. He attends Christ Lutheran in Lincoln and his wife attends St. John's in Seward. Both are UNL grads.

Biggest problem I told him he would have to deal with is that we have church on Saturday night and he would have to lead it -- while I take his tickets and go with his folks!!!

So -- what amazing interviews or stories of surprise meetings have others had with Husker Nation.

Rev.
    I personally would have left the interview right after that part about YOU taking HIS tickets....
    GBR
    Badger by birth - Husker by choice !!!

Varsity

Sounds like a great fit , good luck!!!

Junior Varsity
    Reverend, I'm a little confused. Why were you surprised that he is a Husker fan if both he and his wife currently live in Lincoln?
    "The purpose of argument, should not be victory, but progress." proverb

Recruit
    I have it the worst, my LCMS pastor is a shorthorn fan. In Nebraska no less!!

Rollin' Huskers
    Wherever our RV is parked - currently Stonewall Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    BLASPHEMER !!!
    GBR
    Badger by birth - Husker by choice !!!

Scout Team
    Proof that God loves ALL His children...unconditionally!

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by HZKRFAN View Post
    Proof that God loves ALL His children...unconditionally!
    But husker fans just a little bit more.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

Husker Immortal
    Satan worshiper
    "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." C. S. Lewis

All my pastors and elders are Duck fans. I don't get it.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    All my pastors and elders are Duck fans. I don't get it.
    So they are ones who practice self-flagellation.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

8 man footbal alum
    Quote Originally Posted by RevHusker View Post

Rev.
    This sounds familiar. We have an intern from the sem who fits that description.
    "Gentlemen, this is a football" - Coach Lombardi
    "Winning isn't everything here at Nebraska as Coach Devaney used to say...but we do rate it right up there with oxygen." - Johnny Rodgers

Rev and Big Red Dutch...

CHECK YOUR PMs.....

8 man footbal alum
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    Rev and Big Red Dutch...

CHECK YOUR PMs.....
    Another Cornhusker connection.
    "Gentlemen, this is a football" - Coach Lombardi
    "Winning isn't everything here at Nebraska as Coach Devaney used to say...but we do rate it right up there with oxygen." - Johnny Rodgers