Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Uh?

Starter

Uh?

16 year old charged as an adult in Lincoln

http://journalstar.com/news/local/cr...2e4dcbdf8.html

17 year old charged as a juvenile in Ohio shootings

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/01...hool-shooting/

I don't get it

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

Habitual Line Crosser
    Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    16 year old charged as an adult in Lincoln

http://journalstar.com/news/local/cr...2e4dcbdf8.html

17 year old charged as a juvenile in Ohio shootings

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/01...hool-shooting/

I don't get it

I believe this is necessary to get him tried as an adult in the future. Per the article:

It's the first step in proceedings that could see him charged as an adult and facing the possibility of life without parole if convicted.

You get so wrapped up in the proverbial "its all about me and my" that you loose not only your creditability but any resemblance of intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I'm reaching the point of becoming a lunatic here

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Poyer View Post
    I believe this is necessary to get him tried as an adult in the future. Per the article:
    Why this route even has to be taken?

He should be charged with the crime, regardless of the age.

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

Habitual Line Crosser

I'm not sure, I hope one of our attorneys might have some insight on this. I thought the same thing you did when I saw the headline as well.

You get so wrapped up in the proverbial "its all about me and my" that you loose not only your creditability but any resemblance of intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I'm reaching the point of becoming a lunatic here

Whether a juvenile can be charged as an adult generally depends on their age (the younger they are the harder it is to charge them as an adult), their capacity to understand what they did, the severity of the offense, and their past history as a juvenile delinquent. The court will look at all of these factors and usually none of them will be determinative. The general presumption is that before people reach the age of majority they do not have the same capacity to form the wrongful intent to commit the crime as an adult does.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

He will be charged with the crime, regardless of the age. The issue is whether he will be charged as a juvenile or as an adult. Because he's so close to the age of majority and the crime was so evil and so clearly premeditated, I would be shocked if he wasn't eventually charged as an adult. If he was 11 or 12, he'd probably just be charged as a juvenile regardless of the offense.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II