Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans need to quit whining!!!

Husker Fan
    Concerning "cars per 1000 people," list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...les_per_capita

A related issue is the urban sprawl concept of the United States. The desire to have a bigger house and own more land -- and doing so by moving farther and farther outside the city limits. As a result, we rely on cars more -- and put more miles on them.

Yes, a greater percentage of Europeans are more than happy living within the city... oftentimes, in very small flats and minus any land of their own. In the U.S., this tends to be for either the very rich or the very poor. So yes, the middle class does "need" their cars as a result (well, and other other classes as well).

Again, it would take a change in mindset. We are a much more materialistic society than the rest of the world. Wanting our cars, big houses, big yards, boats, etc.

I would love to see a massive, extensive, efficient, reliable mass transit system in our country -- but it's not going to come easy -- and not going to happen without some sacrifice, I'm guessing.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    Amen.
    It would be more practical for him to rent a truck on the limited occasions he chooses to use the camper.

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerWeatherman View Post
    Another angle... the environment issue:

More at the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/sc...pagewanted=all
    I think that link is funny, emissions requirements for US vehicles are tighter and harder to meet than EU regulations and sitting at stop lights for extended periods of time is one of the worst things you can do for fuel economy and environmental impact.

Think about it, to drive from point A to point B when you are moving uses approximately the same amount of fuel, but if you sit an idle for extended periods of time, that is wasted fuel and environmental emissions due to the extra time your vehicle runs.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    We can regenerate human body parts and organs. It is more than impressive.
    And yet a simple aspirin is still a wonder drug, and most of America is fat. Very impressive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    We can regenerate human body parts and organs. It is more than impressive.
    We have been able to regenerate a car for over 100 years.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Intellectual Patriot
    All I know is that 2 years ago I bought a 2006 Saturn Ion as a daily driver. Doing the quick math, I have almost paid for it with the funds saved in fuel. Do I love driving my truck, HELL YES. But I also recognize that it is not viable. Neither ecenomically nor with any thought of being concientious towards economy of resources. The only reason I keep my truck is for working on our properties, and if we didnt have them I would probably sell it. God that hurt to say.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Walk On Hero
    I just picked up a mega gas guzzling toy 3 weeks ago. And it is very thirsty. But the fun factor is worth it. But as some have stated, my choice. I won't complain about gas..just yet.

Ok, back to my new toy! A well preserved 1993 Z-28 Camaro. 6 speed. Rebuilt 350. Supercharger. $25k in receipts. Paid $8500. 460+ crank horsepower and 465+ crank torque. I love me some America!!!

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    And yet a simple aspirin is still a wonder drug, and most of America is fat. Very impressive.
    We are fat because of drive thru's. See, I brought it all back to us lazy daily drivers. Pass the gravy
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    Is that because of the added cost of refining, the cost of material, or the costs of changeover to infrastructure to supply said fuel?
    No, biomass refining is a very energy intensive process which costs money.
    Feedstock materials are actually less expensive and the infrastructure already exists, remember your end product is a liquid just like current fuel and can easily flow down the same pipe.

Red Shirt
    I disagree. The engineering that has gone into these advanced engines is pretty impressive. If consumers were willing to accept smaller cars and 90-100 bhp again, we'd likely see vehicles averaging well over 60 mpg. And we'd be getting it out of engines that were 30-50% smaller than they were 20 years ago.

We've even seen significant leaps in just the last decade. When Chevy stopped production of the Camaro in 2002, the base model had a 3.8L engine that produced 200 hp. The base model 2012 Camaro has a slightly smaller engine (3.6L) that produces 323 bhp. That's an improvement over 60% in power from a smaller engine... and it still gets slightly better gas mileage than the 2002 model (28 hwy for 2002 compared to 29 hwy for the 2012).

It's what the consumer wants.
    Im sorry but I don't see why my truck can't get 20 mpg city.
    I am nothing without the grace of God

All Big 10
    Trains are a step back. China is blowing loads of money on HSR and they are now realizing it is a losing proposition.

If you want trains to work we are going to have to do some major reworking of the national infrastructure. Most of you are going to have to move out of your homes and into dense neighborhoods with lots of multi family homes (most likely low rises). Forget about your back yard, forget the front yard, get use to someone living above you or below you, down the hall from you. The cost of HSR is way more than just putting tracks and buy trains to run on them.

Trains are so last century...what we need is PRT (personal rapid transport). I suggest electric self driving vehicles that can make use of our infrastructure, gives us a lot of flexibility (compared to the fixed infrastructure of the train, and improve air travel options (which is much faster and fuel efficient than trains).
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    No, biomass refining is a very energy intensive process which costs money.
    Feedstock materials are actually less expensive and the infrastructure already exists, remember your end product is a liquid just like current fuel and can easily flow down the same pipe.
    Thanks for the info. So when the day comes it really wont be too hard to switch over. I guess now it is all in the hands of the lobbyists and the CEO's

I love fan mail.

God of Huskermax

I agree it is very impressive. Technology is also equally impressive. I don't think anyone here has stated that medicine has fixed everything as you seem to want to imply. But to deny the enormous advancements in the medical field is to deny reality. From nano technology, organ regeneration, and designer drugs specifically matched to each persons biology the advancements in medicine are nothing short of amazing.

For a car to get 5mpg better gas mileage while producing slightly more horsepower, is at best a "meh" in comparison.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    We have been able to regenerate a car for over 100 years.
    Im sure you understand the apple v oranges nature of your post and that you posted it entirely in jest. It gave me a good chuckle and for that I say thank you.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    Trains are a step back. China is blowing loads of money on HSR and they are now realizing it is a losing proposition.

If you want trains to work we are going to have to do some major reworking of the national infrastructure. Most of you are going to have to move out of your homes and into dense neighborhoods with lots of multi family homes (most likely low rises). Forget about your back yard, forget the front yard, get use to someone living above you or below you, down the hall from you. The cost of HSR is way more than just putting tracks and buy trains to run on them.

Trains are so last century...what we need is PRT (personal rapid transport). I suggest electric self driving vehicles that can make use of our infrastructure, gives us a lot of flexibility (compared to the fixed infrastructure of the train, and improve air travel options (which is much faster and fuel efficient than trains).
    I tend to agree with your overall theory. If cars were used more like data in a network imagine the possibilities.