Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 184

Thread: Americans need to quit whining!!!

  1. #46
    Ayyy!
    huskrthill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Posts
    40,676
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    When compared to the advancements in medicine and technology those types of "leaps" are rather pedestrian.
    I disagree. The engineering that has gone into these advanced engines is pretty impressive. If consumers were willing to accept smaller cars and 90-100 bhp again, we'd likely see vehicles averaging well over 60 mpg. And we'd be getting it out of engines that were 30-50% smaller than they were 20 years ago.

    We've even seen significant leaps in just the last decade. When Chevy stopped production of the Camaro in 2002, the base model had a 3.8L engine that produced 200 hp. The base model 2012 Camaro has a slightly smaller engine (3.6L) that produces 323 bhp. That's an improvement over 60% in power from a smaller engine... and it still gets slightly better gas mileage than the 2002 model (28 hwy for 2002 compared to 29 hwy for the 2012).

    It's what the consumer wants.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/28/opinio...html?hpt=us_c2

    Fuel is a drug the U.S. has long since needed weaning off. Admittedly Americans have to cover greater distances than Europeans. But you don't need a glorified double bed powered by a throbbing great V8 to do that. A sensibly-sized car with a two-liter turbo will do the job just as comfortably.And with developing nations such as China, Brazil and India demanding ever more fuel, the planet can't put up with anyone's penchant for gas-guzzling monsters any more.But if the European experience is anything to go by, the $4 gallon isn't going to alter driving habits dramatically. America needs petrol prices to double if people are to permanently park up their 15mpg pick-up trucks. Maybe then it'll elicit a bit of sympathy from over here.
    I don't even know what others have posted on this yet, haven't read that far down. However, why is it anyone's business to tell me what I need to drive? If it is something that is available to me, and I can afford to purchase it, I don't think anyone really has any business telling me I can't drive a Yukon if I want.

    Take my neighbor, for example. He got rid of his Ford Windstar for a 50MPG Geo Metro. He also got rid of his Dodge Neon for a Toyota Yaris. Then finally last summer, he traded in his balls for a moped. The moped is the only thing I give him crap about, especially when I'm sitting upon my Kaw Vulcan 1500, waking up the neighbors. And that's all in good fun. I don't really care what he drives, but I certainly don't need anyone giving me crap about what I choose to drive either.


  3. #48
    Intellectual Patriot
    Squatchsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, Nebraska, United States
    Posts
    15,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    I don't even know what others have posted on this yet, haven't read that far down. However, why is it anyone's business to tell me what I need to drive? If it is something that is available to me, and I can afford to purchase it, I don't think anyone really has any business telling me I can't drive a Yukon if I want.

    Take my neighbor, for example. He got rid of his Ford Windstar for a 50MPG Geo Metro. He also got rid of his Dodge Neon for a Toyota Yaris. Then finally last summer, he traded in his balls for a moped. The moped is the only thing I give him crap about, especially when I'm sitting upon my Kaw Vulcan 1500, waking up the neighbors. And that's all in good fun. I don't really care what he drives, but I certainly don't need anyone giving me crap about what I choose to drive either.

    True, all true. But is waxes of hypocrisy to post this then complain about how much fuel costs to power what you choose to drive.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

    I love fan mail.

  4. #49
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,799
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    I disagree. The engineering that has gone into these advanced engines is pretty impressive. If consumers were willing to accept smaller cars and 90-100 bhp again, we'd likely see vehicles averaging well over 60 mpg. And we'd be getting it out of engines that were 30-50% smaller than they were 20 years ago.

    We've even seen significant leaps in just the last decade. When Chevy stopped production of the Camaro in 2002, the base model had a 3.8L engine that produced 200 hp. The base model 2012 Camaro has a slightly smaller engine (3.6L) that produces 323 bhp. That's an improvement over 60% in power from a smaller engine... and it still gets slightly better gas mileage than the 2002 model (28 hwy for 2002 compared to 29 hwy for the 2012).

    It's what the consumer wants.
    If the automotive industry was like the medical/technology industry we'd all have flying cars like the Jetsons.

    The "leaps" are entirely pedestrian.

  5. #50
    Intellectual Patriot
    Squatchsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, Nebraska, United States
    Posts
    15,700
    I am working on the patent for a "Mr. Fusion"
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

    I love fan mail.

  6. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerWeatherman View Post
    The big difference... the US is far behind the rest of the developed world in mass transit. Europeans, in general, don't have to rely on automobiles to get them where they want/need to go as do Americans -- and thus, a much larger percentage in Europe don't own their own vehicles and/or use much less fuel.
    I wouldn't say the US is behind in mass transit. I contend we as a people, especially those of us in fly-over country, can't be relegated into riding in a collective box. Around these parts, that is saved for pigs and cows. Hell, for all practical purposes, those could be considered dining cars, if you don't mind rare meat. Not to mention, we like our autonomous-mobiles.

  7. #52
    Ayyy!
    huskrthill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Posts
    40,676
    Quote Originally Posted by huskheartguy View Post
    Since you seem to know car stuff, and admittedly I don't, how does a 1995 ford explorer compare to a 2012?
    The 1995 Explorer (4WD, 4.0 L V-6, Automatic) gets an estimated 18 mpg on the highway. Produces about 160 bhp.

    The 2012 Explorer (AWD, 3.5 L V-6, Automatic) gets an estimated 23 mpg on the highway. Produces about 290 bhp.

    Again, smaller engine, more power, better gas mileage.

    Edit: I really don't know a lot about cars, but I have spent a lot of time researching different vehicles and there are a lot of good websites that have all of this info out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by huskerpt34 View Post
    If you have a 2 liter turbo that can pull my 4000 pound camper I am all for it. I know I don't need a camper but I have always camped and that is how we spend our vacations. My boys love it. No tv, no cell phone, the way life was meant to be.
    Amen.

  9. #54
    Ayyy!
    huskrthill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Posts
    40,676
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    If the automotive industry was like the medical/technology industry we'd all have flying cars like the Jetsons.

    The "leaps" are entirely pedestrian.
    If the medical field was as impressive as you think it is, they would have spent less time on boner drugs and more time figuring out a cure for the common cold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #55
    Oh my!
    Red_in_Blue_Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Posts
    12,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    One of the funniest things, kind of on topic , is that the diesel engine was first created to run off of vegetable oil. Considering the waste of vegetable matter that we have in this country why not start producing cars as a transition into that model again? It is definitely a renewable resource.
    Rudolph Diesel's engines were designed to run on coal dust or vegetable oil. Biomass refining technology has the potential to replace imported oil, the big but is it is not economically viable.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

    "Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

  11. #56
    Ayyy!
    huskrthill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Posts
    40,676
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    This goes back to my point about the stimulus. Instead of spreading money around through temporary tax cuts, extended unemployment benefits, and money to cash strapped state governments, I would have much preferred that we spent the money on a grand idea like this ... something we could look back on proudly generations from now. If you're going to spend a trillion dollars, at least buy something with it.
    No kidding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  12. #57
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    I don't even know what others have posted on this yet, haven't read that far down. However, why is it anyone's business to tell me what I need to drive? If it is something that is available to me, and I can afford to purchase it, I don't think anyone really has any business telling me I can't drive a Yukon if I want.
    no one has said you can't have one. The question is why do you need one. If it is to spite others and flaunt your ability to have one I don't think that is a good reason, or a practical one. No one has a right to tell you what to drive, but they do have a right to criticize you for making bad choices. Even if I don't agree with them doing so.

    Take my neighbor, for example. He got rid of his Ford Windstar for a 50MPG Geo Metro. He also got rid of his Dodge Neon for a Toyota Yaris. Then finally last summer, he traded in his balls for a moped. The moped is the only thing I give him crap about, especially when I'm sitting upon my Kaw Vulcan 1500, waking up the neighbors. And that's all in good fun. I don't really care what he drives, but I certainly don't need anyone giving me crap about what I choose to drive either.

    I notice you don't want to take any crap from people about what you drive but don't give a second though about insulting our neighbor and giving I'm crap for what he drives. And that I think is one of our main problems as a society as we try to make better decisions about our driving habits.

  13. #58
    Intellectual Patriot
    Squatchsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, Nebraska, United States
    Posts
    15,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Rudolph Diesel's engines were designed to run on coal dust or vegetable oil. Biomass refining technology has the potential to replace imported oil, the big but is it is not economically viable.
    Is that because of the added cost of refining, the cost of material, or the costs of changeover to infrastructure to supply said fuel?
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

    I love fan mail.

  14. #59
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,799
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    If the medical field was as impressive as you think it is, they would have spent less time on boner drugs and more time figuring out a cure for the common cold.
    We can regenerate human body parts and organs. It is more than impressive.

  15. #60
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    True, all true. But is waxes of hypocrisy to post this then complain about how much fuel costs to power what you choose to drive.
    Great point Squatch glad to see you in this conversation.







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •