Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 112

Thread: Akoy Agau

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    I'm going to say this ONE MORE TIME.

    ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL...i'd rather have the player from Nebraska for a lot of reasons that you don't understand.
    I guess--and a lot of reasons you are unwilling and unable to articulate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post
    how about this, and this is something a character like HWJ can't understand:

    PRIDE

    PRIDE in your home town school, and PRIDE in your hometown teammates:

    Josh Jones wasn’t going to let his buddy down Tuesday night.
    Jones buried a jumper with 22.8 seconds to play in overtime, and Creighton hung on to post a 93-92 Missouri Valley victory over a scrappy Evansville team that threatened to ruin Senior Night for Jones’ longtime friend, Antoine Young.
    “I’ve known Antoine since fifth grade,” Jones said. “I needed him to go away with this (win). You don’t want the last memory for someone you care about so much to be something so sad.”
    PRIDE and CHARACTER. Two words that mean much to many people.

    Tell me--should NU try to build a program that is as good as Creighton or build a program that is as good as teams in the top 1/2 of their conference.

    Creighton can have MVC success with some home town teams.

    None of the teams in the top 1/2 of NU's conference are built on the idea that you have to have kids that have played together since the 5th grade.

    I can't figure out how Duke and NC and KU can get kids to play with PRIDE when those player haven't played together for 10 years. It is just odd that it some how happens.

  2. #42
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,008
    Jay, I've articulated it well enough. You are the only one that can't comprehend. Thus the problem must lie with you.

    NU football coaches ALWAYS say locking down the home state is a big deal. Now, you don't see them offering NE kids who don't deserve it, do you? Nobody is saying NU bball should offer kids who don't deserve it. But there's something to be said about a program who can't get ANY local guys who DO warrant an offer. Any coach knows it's always (should be) easier to land the guys closest to home. If you can't get them it's and indication of where your program is at. What do they always say about Nebraska kids that play on the football team? It means more to them. And that "home state pride" rubs off on the others. And fans like being able to identify. Christ, there are a ton of benefits to getting the local guys.

  3. #43
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    None of the teams in the top 1/2 of NU's conference are built on the idea that you have to have kids that have played together since the 5th grade.
    Yet, when they have a guy in their back yard that is good enough to play for them I bet they make it a priority to get them.

  4. #44
    Calling The Count
    Fromunda Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,189
    I can't figure out how Duke and NC and KU can get kids to play with PRIDE when those player haven't played together for 10 years. It is just odd that it some how happens.
    So now NU is comparing the pride, or lack thereof, to the pride of teammates on Duke, KU, and NC.

    Gotcha.

    In your defense, I didn't expect you to understand, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

  5. #45
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,008
    if pomeroy told him it was a good idea he'd get it.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Jay, I've articulated it well enough. You are the only one that can't comprehend. Thus the problem must lie with you.

    NU football coaches ALWAYS say locking down the home state is a big deal. Now, you don't see them offering NE kids who don't deserve it, do you? Nobody is saying NU bball should offer kids who don't deserve it. But there's something to be said about a program who can't get ANY local guys who DO warrant an offer. Any coach knows it's always (should be) easier to land the guys closest to home. If you can't get them it's and indication of where your program is at. What do they always say about Nebraska kids that play on the football team? It means more to them. And that "home state pride" rubs off on the others. And fans like being able to identify. Christ, there are a ton of benefits to getting the local guys.
    Honestly, this is self-evident. The cardinal rule of college recruiting in any sport and for any school is lock down the local kids who are worthy of a scholarship.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II


  7. #47
    Odd.

    I would think schools would have more in-state players, given how obviously important it is.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    Odd.

    I would think schools would have more in-state players, given how obviously important it is.
    Well that's because you're mistaken. Go to ESPN.com, click on teams, then click on rosters for the Big Ten. Most of the teams have at least half of their roster from their home state. If you include neighboring states and the fact that schools like Wisconsin and Michigan are going to recuit out of Chicago, that number goes up even higher. You have an inherent advantage with respect to players who are nearby because of familiarity with and affinity for your program, you have no such advantage with respect to kids 1000 miles away. Unless you have a premier brand name, you've got to make the most out of the kids coming out of your neighborhood.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II


  9. #49
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,008
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Well that's because you're mistaken. Go to ESPN.com, click on teams, then click on rosters for the Big Ten. Most of the teams have at least half of their roster from their home state. If you include neighboring states and the fact that schools like Wisconsin and Michigan are going to recuit out of Chicago, that number goes up even higher. You have an inherent advantage with respect to players who are nearby because of familiarity with and affinity for your program, you have no such advantage with respect to kids 1000 miles away. Unless you have a premier brand name, you've got to make the most out of the kids coming out of your neighborhood.

    I know it's hard....obviously because I NEVER LEARN...but you'd have more success talking to a fern in this case.

  10. #50
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,564
    Doc couldn't recruit this kid if he was his neighbor.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Well that's because you're mistaken. Go to ESPN.com, click on teams, then click on rosters for the Big Ten. Most of the teams have at least half of their roster from their home state. If you include neighboring states and the fact that schools like Wisconsin and Michigan are going to recuit out of Chicago, that number goes up even higher. You have an inherent advantage with respect to players who are nearby because of familiarity with and affinity for your program, you have no such advantage with respect to kids 1000 miles away. Unless you have a premier brand name, you've got to make the most out of the kids coming out of your neighborhood.
    1. It is a bit hard to compare NU's Roster to peer Big 10 schools because NU wasn't a Big 10 school when this roster was built.
    2. A better comparison might be a school like KSU or Okie State. Neither are the dominate team in there conference (like NU).
    3. Creighton's Antonio Young (as far as I can see) is the only NE player within 7 hours of Lincoln that gets more gets more minutes the #1 NE at UNL.
    4. It appears from looking at rivals that Young didn't visit any other school besides Creighton.
    5. NU gets more minutes from KS than KSU does. Since 2000, more KS players have come to NU than to KSU.
    6. Okie State has just 1 kid from in state.
    7. When you look a those rosters on ESPN, remember that some could be walk-on players just like Kye and Jordon and NU. You have to look at the minutes they play.
    8. Wisconsin has one player in-state that is getting any minutes.
    9. Are you really going to suggest that looking at the # of kids from MI on the MI or MS roster? Since Doc arrived at NU, there have been 3 in state kids that Rivals gave 3 stars or more. (Young at Creigh, Ellison at Minn and the kid going to Iowa) There are 10 players ranked 3 stars or more by rivals that come out of MI every year.
    10. Affinity for the program from in-state players? Have you seen NU play? Have they?

  12. #52
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,008
    "Hey, Jay...what time is it?"

    Jay: "It's March 1st."

  13. #53
    Red Shirt
    COG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    "Hey, Jay...what time is it?"

    Jay: "It's March 1st."
    "It's not the recruits that you miss on that hurt. The ones you get and do nothing for five years are the ones that hurt."
    --Gary Barnett

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    1. It is a bit hard to compare NU's Roster to peer Big 10 schools because NU wasn't a Big 10 school when this roster was built.
    2. A better comparison might be a school like KSU or Okie State. Neither are the dominate team in there conference (like NU).
    3. Creighton's Antonio Young (as far as I can see) is the only NE player within 7 hours of Lincoln that gets more gets more minutes the #1 NE at UNL.
    4. It appears from looking at rivals that Young didn't visit any other school besides Creighton.
    5. NU gets more minutes from KS than KSU does. Since 2000, more KS players have come to NU than to KSU.
    6. Okie State has just 1 kid from in state.
    7. When you look a those rosters on ESPN, remember that some could be walk-on players just like Kye and Jordon and NU. You have to look at the minutes they play.
    8. Wisconsin has one player in-state that is getting any minutes.
    9. Are you really going to suggest that looking at the # of kids from MI on the MI or MS roster? Since Doc arrived at NU, there have been 3 in state kids that Rivals gave 3 stars or more. (Young at Creigh, Ellison at Minn and the kid going to Iowa) There are 10 players ranked 3 stars or more by rivals that come out of MI every year.
    10. Affinity for the program from in-state players? Have you seen NU play? Have they?
    The ONLY reason why you think KSU or Okie State "might be a better comparison" is because they support your cause. I really don't know why you are trying to fight the obvious proposition that you need to recruit your local area effectively.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II


  15. #55
    1 I picked osu and is first before looking at their rosters.

    2. I picked them because like NU, they are not the best school within 4 hours and the have a low number of in state prospects

    3 I never said that you shoulders recruit your local area effectly. I said that a 3 star player for NE is no more valuable to the program than a 3 star player not from NE.

    4 Fans want wins and having NE after your hometown does nothing to win games.

    5 Doc can spend hours and hours of time doing camps and clinics for Omaha and Lincoln and for what a single D 1 player in 6 years?

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    1 I picked osu and is first before looking at their rosters.

    2. I picked them because like NU, they are not the best school within 4 hours and the have a low number of in state prospects

    3 I never said that you shoulders recruit your local area effectly. I said that a 3 star player for NE is no more valuable to the program than a 3 star player not from NE.

    4 Fans want wins and having NE after your hometown does nothing to win games.

    5 Doc can spend hours and hours of time doing camps and clinics for Omaha and Lincoln and for what a single D 1 player in 6 years?
    Jay, I don't chime in often, but you are wrong on this on all accounts. Especially number 3. A player that is equal to Mike Gessell's talent that lives out of state is and would not be as important of a recruit as Mike would be. Plain and simple. You think other recruits don't see that even home town and state kids don't want to attend UNL? It negatively effects the program in so many ways in the public eye that even gaining the out of state kid with equal talent, while he may be sufficient on the court, will never make up the negative impact losing an instate kid does, especially at a program like nebraska where the situation will be amplified because of lack of talent. You are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

  17. #57
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,008
    http://www.omaha.com/article/2012030...hes-going-gaga

    Anyone wanna guess who gets one of the first calls from the new NU head coach?

  18. #58
    Scout Team

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    3,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    Odd.

    I would think schools would have more in-state players, given how obviously important it is.
    Why would the other schools need more in state players when they can go get all teh Nebraska kids that the Huskers pass over?

  19. #59
    Studies have shown time and again that HS players moving on to college tend to stay within 200 miles of home. This is less true of the truly elite players that go to a Duke or a Kansas or a Syracuse. But logically NU is going to have to start with the high 3 stars and the low to medium 4 stars to move up the Big 10 and national ladder, no matter the coach. So you are dealing with kids who, all other things being equal, will stay within 200 miles of home. To short-circuit someone bringing up the one or two exceptions to the rule, of course this is a general rule (anyone remember Rick Siedel?). But NU should have a built in advantage with kids within 200 miles of Lincoln. You need to exploit that advantage. Plus the simple fact is, once again, local players grow up with a team. Again, the general rule is that they simply tend to play harder and with more love for the team they grew up wth. The mercenary aspect of the less than super elite player isn't there. The best example I know is the story of Mark Turgeon. Anyone remember him begging Brown for a scholarship to KU? He described how he cried every time KU lost and how he literally dreamed from the time he was a little kid about playing for KU? Turgeon probably would have been a solid point guard if he had gone to, say, Illinois. But given his love for KU, he played that much better and that much harder for KU. An extreme example, yes, but it makes the point.

  20. #60
    NU has no starters from NE.

    Creighton and CSU are the only D1 teams with NE starters that I know of.

    For the past 2 seasons, NU has had starters from 205 and 251 miles away.

    This years and next year's freshman class has players from 220 miles or less.

    It is utterly crazy to suggest that Nick Krenk and Cole Salomon played any harder than Ade Dagunduro or Paul Velander who set the school record for taking a charge.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •