Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Akoy Agau

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    1. The whole "AAU" thing is overblown. Like you say...ALL these kids play AAU. There is a difference AMONG the AAU coaches and their influence. That's the issue when it comes to the perceived "sleeze".

2. You aren't being consistent. You ask "which is more important, birth state or Talent? Talent, right?" But we've already established that we are assuming talent levels are equal. So the "local flavor" to go along with the talent makes the Omaha or Fremont kid preferable. A lot of reasons. People love rooting for the local guys on the local team. It DOES establish a track record of keeping the local talent. And while it may not be a deep pool there's still a pool. NU used to get most of these guys. Woolridge (although he didn't stay), Badgett, King, Hoppen, Markowski, Strickland. Sure there were notable losses as well...Trotter, Kellog, Hunter. But NU got most of them. It helps Nebraskans identify with the program more solidly.

You can't really quantify the benefit. But it's there.
    I'm not so sure the AAU thing is overblown. When Nike, etc. is getting involved, problems and unfair advantages are sure to follow. With the pressure to succeed on coaches, some coaches will cross into gray areas which will lead to worse things.

I don't like it. It's here to stay. It almost needs to be regulated, but who has the authority to do that?

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by COG View Post
    I'm not so sure the AAU thing is overblown. When Nike, etc. is getting involved, problems and unfair advantages are sure to follow. With the pressure to succeed on coaches, some coaches will cross into gray areas which will lead to worse things.

I don't like it. It's here to stay. It almost needs to be regulated, but who has the authority to do that?
    By overblown I mean that ALL of these kids play for AAU teams. And it's not that new. I guess what I'm saying is that the idea that you shouldn't recruit AAUs is overblown because NU already does recruit kids that play AAU. Everyone does.

The corruption among SOME AAU coaches/programs/nike/Adidas, etc. is certainly legit. Not sure what you can do about it. Like shatel said in his column today....football is headed in the same direction if it's not already there.

Got it. We could save on airfare and it helps Nebraskan identify with the program more.

Tommie Fraiser was from FL if I recall.

Winning helps fans identify with the program.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    Got it. We could save on airfare and it helps Nebraskan identify with the program more.

Tommie Fraiser was from FL if I recall.

Winning helps fans identify with the program.
    Whether intentional or not...you're hopeless.

Whether intentional or not...you're hopeless.
    How many season tickets were cancelled when Bill Jackman left the state? How many were sold when he returned?

Thinking 'lock down the local kids', recruit from in-state, we need more NE kids, we can't afford to fly around recruiting, we don't want kids that play AAU ball, etc. is small time, provincial, mid-major thinking.

Go out and get the very best players you can, period. Then win some games.

Husker Fan

How many season tickets were cancelled when Bill Jackman left the state? How many were sold when he returned?

Thinking 'lock down the local kids', recruit from in-state, we need more NE kids, we can't afford to fly around recruiting, we don't want kids that play AAU ball is small time provincial thinking.

Further cluelessness. Are you and the sauce in some sort of competition the rest of us don't know about?

Further cluelessness. Are you and the sauce in some sort of competition the rest of us don't know about?
    Other than calling me hopeless and clueless, you don't seem willing to counter my position.

Thinking 'lock down the local kids', recruit from in-state, we need more NE kids, we can't afford to fly around recruiting, we don't want kids that play AAU ball, etc. is small time, provincial, mid-major thinking.

Exactly! Let's hope the next coach will use geography to his advantage and keep the instate players here.

Husker Fan

Other than calling me hopeless and clueless, you don't seem willing to counter my position.

I'm going to say this ONE MORE TIME.

ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL...i'd rather have the player from Nebraska for a lot of reasons that you don't understand.

Red Shirt
    how about this, and this is something a character like HWJ can't understand:

PRIDE

PRIDE in your home town school, and PRIDE in your hometown teammates:

Josh Jones wasn’t going to let his buddy down Tuesday night.
    Jones buried a jumper with 22.8 seconds to play in overtime, and Creighton hung on to post a 93-92 Missouri Valley victory over a scrappy Evansville team that threatened to ruin Senior Night for Jones’ longtime friend, Antoine Young.
    “I’ve known Antoine since fifth grade,” Jones said. “I needed him to go away with this (win). You don’t want the last memory for someone you care about so much to be something so sad.”
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

I'm going to say this ONE MORE TIME.

ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL...i'd rather have the player from Nebraska for a lot of reasons that you don't understand.
    I guess--and a lot of reasons you are unwilling and unable to articulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post
    how about this, and this is something a character like HWJ can't understand:

PRIDE

PRIDE in your home town school, and PRIDE in your hometown teammates:

Josh Jones wasn’t going to let his buddy down Tuesday night.
    Jones buried a jumper with 22.8 seconds to play in overtime, and Creighton hung on to post a 93-92 Missouri Valley victory over a scrappy Evansville team that threatened to ruin Senior Night for Jones’ longtime friend, Antoine Young.
    “I’ve known Antoine since fifth grade,” Jones said. “I needed him to go away with this (win). You don’t want the last memory for someone you care about so much to be something so sad.”
    PRIDE and CHARACTER. Two words that mean much to many people.

Tell me--should NU try to build a program that is as good as Creighton or build a program that is as good as teams in the top 1/2 of their conference.

Creighton can have MVC success with some home town teams.

None of the teams in the top 1/2 of NU's conference are built on the idea that you have to have kids that have played together since the 5th grade.

I can't figure out how Duke and NC and KU can get kids to play with PRIDE when those player haven't played together for 10 years. It is just odd that it some how happens.

Husker Fan

Jay, I've articulated it well enough. You are the only one that can't comprehend. Thus the problem must lie with you.

NU football coaches ALWAYS say locking down the home state is a big deal. Now, you don't see them offering NE kids who don't deserve it, do you? Nobody is saying NU bball should offer kids who don't deserve it. But there's something to be said about a program who can't get ANY local guys who DO warrant an offer. Any coach knows it's always (should be) easier to land the guys closest to home. If you can't get them it's and indication of where your program is at. What do they always say about Nebraska kids that play on the football team? It means more to them. And that "home state pride" rubs off on the others. And fans like being able to identify. Christ, there are a ton of benefits to getting the local guys.

Husker Fan

None of the teams in the top 1/2 of NU's conference are built on the idea that you have to have kids that have played together since the 5th grade.
    Yet, when they have a guy in their back yard that is good enough to play for them I bet they make it a priority to get them.

Red Shirt
    I can't figure out how Duke and NC and KU can get kids to play with PRIDE when those player haven't played together for 10 years. It is just odd that it some how happens.
    So now NU is comparing the pride, or lack thereof, to the pride of teammates on Duke, KU, and NC.

Gotcha.

In your defense, I didn't expect you to understand, so nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

Husker Fan

if pomeroy told him it was a good idea he'd get it.