Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 112

Thread: Akoy Agau

  1. #1
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,418

    Akoy Agau

    Good example of the kind of guy that Nebraska absolutely needs to keep in state.

    Supposedly has offers from Creighton, Iowa, New Mexico, Nebraska, Tennessee and Marquette among others.

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Akoy-Agau-109947

    Tra'Shawn Thurman, a central Sophomore, at 6'6" is garnering early interest as well. With guys like Gessel, the 7 footer that Iowa recently signed from S. City...the area isn't completely void of talent.

  2. #2
    Red Shirt
    Fromunda Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,202
    Josh Jones and Akoy are tight.

    Advantage: Creighton.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

  3. #3
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Just east of KC
    Posts
    2,511
    I'm surprised Texas is going after this kid.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Good example of the kind of guy that Nebraska absolutely needs to keep in state.

    Supposedly has offers from Creighton, Iowa, New Mexico, Nebraska, Tennessee and Marquette among others.

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Akoy-Agau-109947

    Tra'Shawn Thurman, a central Sophomore, at 6'6" is garnering early interest as well. With guys like Gessel, the 7 footer that Iowa recently signed from S. City...the area isn't completely void of talent.
    I don't get it. why is he better than any other 3 star kid that is equally ranked. Why is he more valuable to the program?

  5. #5
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    I don't get it. why is he better than any other 3 star kid that is equally ranked. Why is he more valuable to the program?
    Because if all other things are equal he IS a Nebraska kid. Time to change the LOCAL perception of this program. That's why.


    I could have just replied: "Of course you don't get it. What's new?"

  6. #6
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,418
    Maybe the new coach could have a conversation with Eric Behrens...maybe Eric is looking to get into the college game.

  7. #7
    Red Shirt
    Fromunda Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,202
    I don't get it. why is he better than any other 3 star kid that is equally ranked. Why is he more valuable to the program?
    Is this a serious question? Are you for real in not knowing why a Nebraska kid would be better than a kid who is equally ranked?
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

  8. #8
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    11,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    I'm surprised Texas is going after this kid.
    well they did get matt hill and that worked out poorly

  9. #9
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,041
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    well they did get matt hill and that worked out poorly
    well he did get his degree...

  10. #10
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,418
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    well they did get matt hill and that worked out poorly
    Bet he would have been a decent player for NU. He got hurt down there and had some pretty good players ahead of him IIRC

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post
    Is this a serious question? Are you for real in not knowing why a Nebraska kid would be better than a kid who is equally ranked?
    Assume that I am serious. Can you answer the question?

  12. #12
    Red Shirt
    Fromunda Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,202
    HWJ,

    You know I've met and talked to John T Reed. I've never met a bigger blowhard in my life.

    I thought I was full of myself, until I met Reed and realized that I am quite humble compared to that egomaniac.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

  13. #13
    Red Shirt
    COG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    Assume that I am serious. Can you answer the question?
    This is quite simple, and I don't understand why you can't figure it out.

    Let's reference football recruiting. Assume a three star prospect with offers from LSU and Nebraska. Assume everything is equal in the recruits mind and further assume he's a Nebraska lean. But he goes to LSu. Why? Mom and Dad want to see their son play and keep him close to home.

    Geography is a huge advantage. It should be EASIER to recruit instate talent than out of state talent. So if we have an advantage, and we still can't bring in a recruit, that should tell you there's something wrong with the program.

    NU football wants to lock down a 500 mile radius of Lincoln. Why can't our basketball program try to use the same geography advantage?
    "It's not the recruits that you miss on that hurt. The ones you get and do nothing for five years are the ones that hurt."
    --Gary Barnett

  14. #14
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,041
    Quote Originally Posted by COG View Post

    NU football wants to lock down a 500 mile radius of Lincoln. Why can't our basketball program try to use the same geography advantage?
    and how many DIV I prospects are there in a 500 mile radius of Lincoln? Not that many, IMO.

  15. #15
    Red Shirt
    COG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    and how many DIV I prospects are there in a 500 mile radius of Lincoln? Not that many, IMO.

    No way am I going to look that up, but when you have metro areas of St. Louis and KC and Minneapolis plus everything else, ie 1.7 million people in Nebraska, it has to be substantial. Enough to fill several div 1 basketball teams.
    "It's not the recruits that you miss on that hurt. The ones you get and do nothing for five years are the ones that hurt."
    --Gary Barnett

  16. #16
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,041
    Quote Originally Posted by COG View Post
    No way am I going to look that up, but when you have metro areas of St. Louis and KC and Minneapolis plus everything else, ie 1.7 million people in Nebraska, it has to be substantial. Enough to fill several div 1 basketball teams.
    True, but don't forget that we'd have to compete with the likes of Mizzou, KSU, KU, etc etc...

    It'd be tougher to lock down that big of a radius as opposed to Football.

  17. #17
    Red Shirt
    COG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    True, but don't forget that we'd have to compete with the likes of Mizzou, KSU, KU, etc etc...

    It'd be tougher to lock down that big of a radius as opposed to Football.

    Completely agree. So why not have a goal of locking everyone down within 150 miles AND the state of nebraska? And I know we won't get all the KC recruits with KU in the backyard, but no reason not to be able to get instate recruits. That should give us a player a year maybe? Two?

    After 4 years maybe have 4 nebraskan's on the roster that COULD see floor time?

    That's a lot better than gong to Germany and Puerto Rico for recruits which should in turn free up time for the coach to coach.
    "It's not the recruits that you miss on that hurt. The ones you get and do nothing for five years are the ones that hurt."
    --Gary Barnett

  18. #18
    Red Shirt
    COG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    Assume that I am serious. Can you answer the question?
    And Jay, if NU can't "hang its hat" on getting instate recruits for say 1/4 of your roster, where are you going to get your recruits? AAU. is that what you want? You're a big fan of Frank Martin, right?

    NU has to retain instate talent or we will completely swim in the cesspool that is the AAU. We probably will regardless...
    "It's not the recruits that you miss on that hurt. The ones you get and do nothing for five years are the ones that hurt."
    --Gary Barnett

  19. #19
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,041
    Quote Originally Posted by COG View Post
    Completely agree. So why not have a goal of locking everyone down within 150 miles AND the state of nebraska? And I know we won't get all the KC recruits with KU in the backyard, but no reason not to be able to get instate recruits. That should give us a player a year maybe? Two?

    After 4 years maybe have 4 nebraskan's on the roster that COULD see floor time?

    That's a lot better than gong to Germany and Puerto Rico for recruits which should in turn free up time for the coach to coach.
    Agreed.

  20. #20
    Red Shirt
    Fromunda Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,202
    I don't know much about the recruits within 500 miles of Lincoln, but I do know two potential first team all americans came from the same hs team 3 1/2 hours from Lincoln.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •