Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protection Racket

Junior Varsity

Protection Racket

With all the education talk, I saw this article and found it interesting.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...IAGswg0XB3ZYoI
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    It's time to re-introduce cocaine to our musicians.
    "All too easy." - Darth Vader

Yep, very interesting.

Antediluvian Abrasiveness
    Gotta love those "independent" arbitrators!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Sonny once again proving that he is the biggest piece of ******** on Huskermax. Congrats on earning this title, sir.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...+leaves+office

Habitual Line Crosser
    At this point, what can be done? The city (and most cities) are in a position where they either have to keep up the current system or force a confrontation which would certainly lead to a LOT of missed school time. You KNOW the union will dig its heels in and resist all change because they know the city will have to fold after a few months of missed classes. Unfortunately the union has all the power here and they know it and the city knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    You get so wrapped up in the proverbial "its all about me and my" that you loose not only your creditability but any resemblance of intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I'm reaching the point of becoming a lunatic here

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Poyer View Post
    At this point, what can be done? The city (and most cities) are in a position where they either have to keep up the current system or force a confrontation which would certainly lead to a LOT of missed school time. You KNOW the union will dig its heels in and resist all change because they know the city will have to fold after a few months of missed classes. Unfortunately the union has all the power here and they know it and the city knows it.
    I agree, there isn't much that can be done at all. The union will go out of its way to protect crappy teachers that add little value. It makes it bad for the great teachers because they are in an environment that virtually allows poor behavior to flourish by their peers.
    It's time to re-introduce cocaine to our musicians.
    "All too easy." - Darth Vader

Bring in the scabs.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

Ayyy!

Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    If they had any marbles, they'd actually tackle the problem head-on.

The Tech Support Guy
    Ohio tried this with SB5 but the unions had a great lying campain and voters fell for it. It would have taken the power away from the unions and given it back to the voters. A right to work state can also help in this type of problem as well.

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Oh my!
    It is sad, there are a healthy number people on this BBS that want to just increase funding and not question what the system is doing with that funding. Here is a good example about lack of accountability.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    It is sad, there are a healthy number people on this BBS that want to just increase funding and not question what the system is doing with that funding. Here is a good example about lack of accountability.
    Amen, my thoughts that got buried in another forum because of the crapstorm over the past couple of days. This is going to take a serious plan to fix the education system.

Department of Education - I'll start with saying that "No Child Left Behind" actually made the DoE worse, not better. Hopefully that will help the liberals on the board recognize that this is a non-partisan opinion. Unfortunately, it's grown too big and too much of the federal budget dedicated towards education goes torwards its bureacracy.

More local control - Local school districts need to have more control over setting curriculum, creative solutions, funding, rewarding great teachers, and holding teachers accountable that aren't meeting standards.

Right to work - Many teachers have become frustrated by their own union and the views that oftentimes get pushed down to them. At the very least, teachers should be allowed to do what they want.

Private Investment - Some communities have found creative ways to partner with companies around computer labs, science labs, etc. This should be encouraged to happen more broadly.

Creative Solutions - I like what some of mentioned here around tech versus college prep classes. More options need to be offered to create more productive members of society. I like how Warhorse put it, that people should be encouraged to do something that they are going to be excited about.

Attracting More Talent - I'll be the first to admit that I"m not sure how this should be measured, but somehow the top teachers need to be rewarded at a higher level. Somehow those in private industry should have an easier way to get into teaching for somewhat comparable pay. Also, are there certain curriculum that could be taught on more of an adjunct level?

The Familiy/Support System - Thill's point around this is salient. Until families become more involved in their kids lives again and more invested in their success, all the investment in the world will not fix it. And, employers are part of the problem too... More value needs to be placed on education across the board to make any of this work.

There's no silver bullet that's going to fix this, it's going to take a multi-pronged approach.

Habitual Line Crosser
    If they had any marbles, they'd actually tackle the problem head-on.
    How long would it be acceptable to have the kids miss school due to a strike (that would be inevitable)? Would you miss a full year if it came to that?

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    You get so wrapped up in the proverbial "its all about me and my" that you loose not only your creditability but any resemblance of intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I'm reaching the point of becoming a lunatic here

How long would it be acceptable to have the kids miss school due to a strike (that would be inevitable)? Would you miss a full year if it came to that?
    I think a full year away from blithering idiots would be a good thing for those kids. They might actually learn something, rather than being ignored/indoctrinated. Parents would need to engage at that point, rather than send them to pubic day care. I mean school.

I also wonder what it would look like if congress were in session long enough to pass an annual budget, then go home for the year. Of course, right now, we have the opposite. They are full timers who WON'T pass a budget. Harry Reid, I'm looking at you...

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Weinosker View Post
    Amen, my thoughts that got buried in another forum because of the crapstorm over the past couple of days. This is going to take a serious plan to fix the education system.
    Department of Education - I'll start with saying that "No Child Left Behind" actually made the DoE worse, not better. Hopefully that will help the liberals on the board recognize that this is a non-partisan opinion. Unfortunately, it's grown too big and too much of the federal budget dedicated towards education goes torwards its bureacracy.

More local control - Local school districts need to have more control over setting curriculum, creative solutions, funding, rewarding great teachers, and holding teachers accountable that aren't meeting standards.

Right to work - Many teachers have become frustrated by their own union and the views that oftentimes get pushed down to them. At the very least, teachers should be allowed to do what they want.

Private Investment - Some communities have found creative ways to partner with companies around computer labs, science labs, etc. This should be encouraged to happen more broadly.

Creative Solutions - I like what some of mentioned here around tech versus college prep classes. More options need to be offered to create more productive members of society. I like how Warhorse put it, that people should be encouraged to do something that they are going to be excited about.

Attracting More Talent - I'll be the first to admit that I"m not sure how this should be measured, but somehow the top teachers need to be rewarded at a higher level. Somehow those in private industry should have an easier way to get into teaching for somewhat comparable pay. Also, are there certain curriculum that could be taught on more of an adjunct level?

The Familiy/Support System - Thill's point around this is salient. Until families become more involved in their kids lives again and more invested in their success, all the investment in the world will not fix it. And, employers are part of the problem too... More value needs to be placed on education across the board to make any of this work.

There's no silver bullet that's going to fix this, it's going to take a multi-pronged approach.

we as a country would rather be entertained than educated. Pay a teacher what a athlete/actor can make in this country and see what happens....A big first step I know, but the baby steps are not working here. Parents being parents...sorry that word (parent) lost its meaning many moons ago

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    I think a full year away from blithering idiots would be a good thing for those kids. They might actually learn something, rather than being ignored/indoctrinated. Parents would need to engage at that point, rather than send them to pubic day care. I mean school.

I also wonder what it would look like if congress were in session long enough to pass an annual budget, then go home for the year. Of course, right now, we have the opposite. They are full timers who WON'T pass a budget. Harry Reid, I'm looking at you...
    At that point? why only then. If a parent disagrees with what is being taught at school whose job is it to point them in the right direction. I would send my kids back to school armed for debate on certain subjects. And as most know I'm no rocket scientist, so if I am able to do that...I'm pretty sure most could at ANY point

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.

Ayyy!

Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

I don't want kids to be out of school for a year. Since teachers are so poorly paid already, do you think they'd be able to survive for a year with only the scraps handed out to them by the union?