Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full Page Ad In OWH Says Keep Doc, Raise Commitment To Basketball

Red Shirt

Full Page Ad In OWH Says Keep Doc, Raise Commitment To Basketball

A full page ad is running in todays OWH (on the back page of the sports section), making a case for keeping Doc and making larger financial commitment to basketball.

I can't link it, as its an advertisement (this thing cost a pretty penny, no doubt about that)

Its written by Neil Hawks (assuming a relation to Howard?)

It has facts, figures, graphs, etc.

And, of course, it mentions the "blue menace" to the east.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

God of Huskermax

Probably paid for by a group consisting of all the head coaches is the BIG.

Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    They'll let Doc have another year for 2 reasons. First and foremost, because TO is faithful to a flaw. Second is to reduce the payout and negotiate the reduction.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

Red Shirt
    because TO is faithful to a flaw
    That didn't help Mike Anderson

Red Shirt
    I forgot to mention its addressed to Steve Sipple, Tom Shatel, Lee Barfy, and Husker fans everywhere

Big Red Fan!!!

They want a larger financial commitment to basketball??? Are they talking facilities?

Red Shirt

If they want a larger financial commitment then they might as well get $3-5 million/year type coach and get on with it, the Doc experiment has not worked for 6 years.

Scout Team

One way to make a larger financial committment to Mens Basketball is to come up with the buyout $$ and make a change.... Just Sayin.....

Husker Fan
    I'm curious as to what sorts of facts, figures, and graphs are being used to support Doc in this ad.

How about....

Currently tied with Penn State at the bottom of the Big Ten (yes, I know the injury excuse).
    Two seasons ago, Nebraska finished 12th in the Big 12.
    Nebraska has never finished in the top half of the conference in Doc's six seasons.
    Nebraska has yet to earn an NCAA berth in these six years.
    Three of six seasons, an NIT bid was earned. Doc's NIT record at NU: 1-3.

Spencer, McCray, Richardson, and Walker all graduate after this season.
    Diaz is apparently done due to injury.

That's 5 of the top 6 scorers from this horrible season -- gone.

We'll have maybe the most inexperienced team I've ever seen at Nebraska next season... and one more year left to play in the Devaney Center. Are the fans, in general, going to have any interest in showing up to games next season? You could very well see the smallest attendance numbers since the BDSC opened. The odds are very good that year seven for Doc would not be very pretty at all. Is anyone willing to give him another pass next season and hope that year eight in the new arena is the start of something special? You really can only bring back Doc next season if you are planning on keeping him for the season following as well.

About the only potential remedy, at this point, is to bring in a new coach, add some new interest to the fan base, and let him start work toward building a quality product in anticipation of the 2013-14 season at the Pinnacle Bank Arena. A new coach would get a pass in year one. Doc is not very likely to get another pass in year seven.

HWM - He mentions giving Doc access to a plane for recruiting and higher salaries for assistants. He even mentions hiring an assistant with ties to top-notch players, referencing KU's hire of Danny Manning's father, UCLA hiring the head coach of an AAU team, and KSU's hire of Altman to land Richmond years ago.

The graphs he uses are from http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/ and shows the total 2010 basketball expenses among all Big Ten members. I quickly looked at that site and was unable to find the same info he provided. (He doesn't list revenue or money tied up in contracts. We increased spending in that category last year!)

Hawks has a point in that our commitment needs to be more than just new digs but I disagree with his assessment that "we all know Doc is a good coach." We do? His argument that Doc is a nice guy, loyal now Nebraskan, etc. are too emotionally based.

EDIT - I think he would have gathered universal support with his ad if he had built it around the point that no coach can succeed here given the current (lack of) support system. However, by saying we need to keep Doc (nice guy, works harder than any coach, good coach, loyal now Nebraskan, etc.) and signing it as a 'Doc supporter,' it comes across as hitching himself more to the Sadler wagon versus that of Husker Hoops.

Scout Team
    The Sad thing for me is that I will forget all about the basketball team after next week because there is not an ounce of hope to hang my hat on for next season. Kind of a Lame Duck if you ask me. Now, Just because I want a new coach, does not mean we need to get one, I personally would not pay somebody off to go away...it would irk me almost more than having said person run my team deeper into the ground. But at the same time, I really need to feel like we will have a winning program going into the new arena, and right now I do not see a chance of that at all....unless V-ball gets to play there....and Connie's team. whew....that's a load off.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerWeatherman View Post
    I'm curious as to what sorts of facts, figures, and graphs are being used to support Doc in this ad.

How about....

Currently tied with Penn State at the bottom of the Big Ten (yes, I know the injury excuse).
    Two seasons ago, Nebraska finished 12th in the Big 12.
    Nebraska has never finished in the top half of the conference in Doc's six seasons.
    Nebraska has yet to earn an NCAA berth in these six years.
    Three of six seasons, an NIT bid was earned. Doc's NIT record at NU: 1-3.

Spencer, McCray, Richardson, and Walker all graduate after this season.
    Diaz is apparently done due to injury.

That's 5 of the top 6 scorers from this horrible season -- gone.

We'll have maybe the most inexperienced team I've ever seen at Nebraska next season... and one more year left to play in the Devaney Center. Are the fans, in general, going to have any interest in showing up to games next season? You could very well see the smallest attendance numbers since the BDSC opened. The odds are very good that year seven for Doc would not be very pretty at all. Is anyone willing to give him another pass next season and hope that year eight in the new arena is the start of something special? You really can only bring back Doc next season if you are planning on keeping him for the season following as well.

About the only potential remedy, at this point, is to bring in a new coach, add some new interest to the fan base, and let him start work toward building a quality product in anticipation of the 2013-14 season at the Pinnacle Bank Arena. A new coach would get a pass in year one. Doc is not very likely to get another pass in year seven.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Point View Post
    HWM - He mentions giving Doc access to a plane for recruiting and higher salaries for assistants. He even mentions hiring an assistant with ties to top-notch players, referencing KU's hire of Danny Manning's father, UCLA hiring the head coach of an AAU team, and KSU's hire of Altman to land Richmond years ago.

The graphs he uses are from http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/ and shows the total 2010 basketball expenses among all Big Ten members. I quickly looked at that site and was unable to find the same info he provided. (He doesn't list revenue or money tied up in contracts. We increased spending in that category last year!)

Hawks has a point in that our commitment needs to be more than just new digs but I disagree with his assessment that "we all know Doc is a good coach." We do? His argument that Doc is a nice guy, loyal now Nebraskan, etc. are too emotionally based.

EDIT - I think he would have gathered universal support with his ad if he had built it around the point that no coach can succeed here given the current (lack of) support system. However, by saying we need to keep Doc (nice guy, works harder than any coach, good coach, loyal now Nebraskan, etc.) and signing it as a 'Doc supporter,' it comes across as hitching himself more to the Sadler wagon versus that of Husker Hoops.
    All interesting statements and discussion points. Doc will be the Coach of the Nebraska Basketball team because TO said he was going to allow Doc to recruit to the new arena. That means Doc will be here for 2 more seasons, maybe three. Now for throwing more money into the program? Perhaps that needs to be done. Apparently the BB Donors need to step up to the plate.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

Varsity

I actually had coffee Friday morning with a prominent booster and one of the folk behind the new arena. He seems to follow the same line of thinking as Mr. Hawks.

This has been a rough year on everybody, and on Doc and his reputation, but if the University believes in the things that they identified as what had become a huge burden on our coaches abilities to be successful, as you saw things sagging under Nee, Collier and Sadler, being the outdated facilities.......then it stands to reason that Doc or any other coach should get a fighting chance once these new facilities are in place to actually recruit to.

The Practice Facility just opened so it's true effect is just now in place. The players you're hoping that it'll help attract don't show up ready to contribute the day the practice facility doors open. It's the guys you bring in to see how nice it is....and how we're finally committing more and more resources to our program.

I'm sure there's a mix in feelings between boosters as to whether Doc will work out or not, and how much more time he should be given, but there is solid reasoning about the cause of where we're at right now having to do with years and years of neglect in the area of commitment to our basketball program ABOVE the position of coach.

To me it's obvious that the administration and key boosters are awake to the fact that a HUGE commitment needed and still needs to be made before ANY coach has a chance to be successful because of those same years of neglect.

The losses this year have been very, very hard on everybody. Obviously it'll be tough for Doc to survive for many reasons, but there is logic in giving him a chance to reap the rewards that very well could come from long, long overdue upgrades across the board.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

God of Huskermax

If we kep Doc for 2 or 3 more seasons we might as well shelve the BBall program and start pouring money into a hockey program.

Scout Team
    Where does the bowling team practice....isn't it the same place as the regular students? They can win national titles with sub par facilities...........jus sayin'