Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bo its time to move Baker

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedOhio View Post
    You could be right...considering Eric Martin played LB before, the transition could be relatively smooth. I would be pumped if the coaches moved E. Martin back to LB. Would solve a lot of problems for this team in my opinion. Martin had some weaknesses as a LB, but that was mostly against spread teams. In a smash mouth/between the tackles conference, Martin would excel imo.
    I am more worried about production from our defensive ends than I am about our linebackers. Martin's impact at DE is more significant, IMO. I just want to see our DEs hitting quarterbacks. Hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It looks like this was from 9/2/2011 but someone thinks Baker would make a pretty good DT at the next level. Guess what; our coaches have forgotten more about football than what anyone on this BBS knows about football. Let the coaches coach. Bo Pelini is a stud!

Baker Steinkuhler*, DE/DT, Nebraska
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 290.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.92.
    Projected Round (2013): 2.
    9/2/11: In his first season as a starter, Baker Steinkuhler registered 46 tackles with 3.5 sacks. He is strong at the point of attack and has the frame to add more weight and bulk at the NFL level. Steinkuhler also has some athleticism, so he could make a big improvement in 2011, and possibly 2012, before going pro.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013DT.php

And another link ranking Baker as the 15th best DT in the 2013 draft.
    http://cfn.scout.com/2/1156103.html

Junior Varsity
    I still don't see how moving Baker was such a bad decision, even if he would be a better OT. Our '07 defense was horrible and the strength of the '08 team was the offense. Baker has been in the rotation to starter to best returning DT we have. Where would we have been last year without him at DT? Crick went down and he was the best DT left. We were at least able to put two guys with some experience out there with the same time with Moore and Stein. Then Thad went down and Rome gotted dinged. I can use 20/20 hindsight to make as much of a case for that being a genious move vs being a bad move. There was a lot of talk during the Callahan years of players wanting to come here to get to the NFL rather than to be a Husker. Why should he have stayed at OT just because he was projected there by NFL scouts when he was needed more at DT and is now the best we have returning? I think we should spend less time trying to second guess and more time applauding Baker for making the move and for what he has accomplished.

As far as Martin at LB, the issues he had playing LB in the Big12 wouldn't automatically be solved by playing in the BIG. There was talk before last season about David getting chewed up in the BIG because he was undersized. I don't care how big and fast you are, if you don't where to be and when to be there it's not going to do you any good. We need Martin to be healthy, which will hopefully lead to a breakout year at DE.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedOhio View Post
    You could be right...considering Eric Martin played LB before, the transition could be relatively smooth. I would be pumped if the coaches moved E. Martin back to LB. Would solve a lot of problems for this team in my opinion. Martin had some weaknesses as a LB, but that was mostly against spread teams. In a smash mouth/between the tackles conference, Martin would excel imo.

Correct. It's not like we have a log jam at either position, but I think there is more of a need for a LB with Martin's measures and physicality on this team in this league. Yea we have some pretty good talent coming in, but I'm not one to throw potential over what I already know we have on the team. Last night I was looking over the 2010 season games (I do that a lot in the off season), and I was looking at the nickel package where as we had Martin and David as the two LBs on the field. They were a great combination for going against the run no matter if it was a speed back or bruiser. Specifically, SDSU's back was a bruiser and on one drive he was picking up 6-7 yards easily. We switched to the nickel package and on 1st and 2nd down, Martin had a bruise of a tackle for a short gain and a tackle for loss on their back. He was taken out for 3rd and long as they went back to the dime package. This is not to say that I don't think he would excel at DE, I just think that his natural position will allow him to have an opportunity to raise some eyes as we were doing for him during his freshman year when we seen a young kid on special teams throwing blockers into the kicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip Abdullah says NU offense will be "like a storm." I asked what type of storm. His reply: "What type of storm scares you most?" #Huskers

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by MadTownHusker View Post
    Guess what; our coaches have forgotten more about football than what anyone on this BBS knows about football.
    Hope they haven't forgotten too much.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMacHusker View Post
    I still don't see how moving Baker was such a bad decision, even if he would be a better OT. Our '07 defense was horrible and the strength of the '08 team was the offense. Baker has been in the rotation to starter to best returning DT we have. Where would we have been last year without him at DT? Crick went down and he was the best DT left. We were at least able to put two guys with some experience out there with the same time with Moore and Stein. Then Thad went down and Rome gotted dinged. I can use 20/20 hindsight to make as much of a case for that being a genious move vs being a bad move. There was a lot of talk during the Callahan years of players wanting to come here to get to the NFL rather than to be a Husker. Why should he have stayed at OT just because he was projected there by NFL scouts when he was needed more at DT and is now the best we have returning? I think we should spend less time trying to second guess and more time applauding Baker for making the move and for what he has accomplished.

As far as Martin at LB, the issues he had playing LB in the Big12 wouldn't automatically be solved by playing in the BIG. There was talk before last season about David getting chewed up in the BIG because he was undersized. I don't care how big and fast you are, if you don't where to be and when to be there it's not going to do you any good. We need Martin to be healthy, which will hopefully lead to a breakout year at DE.

I agree with this post for the most part. Especially your post about Baker.

As far as Martin, I know issues he had in Big 12 play won't automatically disappear, what I'm pointing out is that if he was to switch, it wouldn't be such a task as another player whom would be switching to a position he hasn't played at or at least at this level. Martin played LB just one season ago, and the staff mentioned that one of the biggest areas he needed to work on was coverage, and that's a bad combination in a league where everyone runs the spread. I think a nickel package would suit him well in the B1G. Most of these teams love to run downhill. Martins skill set seems to be more suitable to that style of play. I think he could enhance the position in that case. I hope he was a damn good year no matter what position he is at in 2012. He is a great athlete and a good kid. Very comical if you ever get a chance to chat with him.

Edit: The red mohawk freaks me out though....
    Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip Abdullah says NU offense will be "like a storm." I asked what type of storm. His reply: "What type of storm scares you most?" #Huskers

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    I agree with this post for the most part. Especially your post about Baker.

As far as Martin, I know issues he had in Big 12 play won't automatically disappear, what I'm pointing out is that if he was to switch, it wouldn't be such a task as another player whom would be switching to a position he hasn't played at or at least at this level. Martin played LB just one season ago, and the staff mentioned that one of the biggest areas he needed to work on was coverage, and that's a bad combination in a league where everyone runs the spread. I think a nickel package would suit him well in the B1G. Most of these teams love to run downhill. Martins skill set seems to be more suitable to that style of play. I think he could enhance the position in that case. I hope he was a damn good year no matter what position he is at in 2012. He is a great athlete and a good kid. Very comical if you ever get a chance to chat with him.

Edit: The red mohawk freaks me out though....
    I'm not going to disagree about Martin, I'm just not sure why we are debating the move of a guy who is productive and needed at one spot to a spot that may or may not be a better position for him. It would be one thing if Stein and Martin were buried on the depth chart. The BIG would be a better league for him, I'm just not convinced he would get more playing time at LB than he will at DE (especially with the RFr and Fr talent influx for the coming year). Definitely the kind of athlete and person you want on your team, great personality.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMacHusker View Post
    I'm not going to disagree about Martin, I'm just not sure why we are debating the move of a guy who is productive and needed at one spot to a spot that may or may not be a better position for him. It would be one thing if Stein and Martin were buried on the depth chart. The BIG would be a better league for him, I'm just not convinced he would get more playing time at LB than he will at DE (especially with the RFr and Fr talent influx for the coming year). Definitely the kind of athlete and person you want on your team, great personality.

Oh, no, I'm not arguing that at all. I think both are at a position they can and I believe will excel at. I'm just adding to the conversation. That's all. You are correct, if they were 3 or fourth on the depth chart, I would say why not move them, but at this point, Martin could be our starter next year at RE and Baker, will continue to be our starter. I hope Rick K. finds a way to unleash the beast we know as Eric Martin on some of these QBs. I don't want to see our line just containing QBs. I want to see them sending QBs scrambling for their life 70% of the game.

I do think we have some great talent that has red shirted and in coming, but they are unproven at this point but I'm not going to argue that over the ability of Martin.

P.S. I was a huge fan of Captain Caveman....

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaGene View Post
    Hope they haven't forgotten too much.
    Now THAT is funny! Unless of course, it's true.