Get HuskerMax on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting start to 2013 class for Texas (no commits from Jr. Day)

Quote Originally Posted by MilesBFree View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, have we had a "failed state" type program in recent memory? I mean like Minnesota going from national champs in the 30s and 40s (and as recently as was it '61?) to current status? A lot of Texas fans I know just don't seem that into it. But if the big boosters continue to push things I doubt it would fall that far. I think times have changed to much for UT to fall completely off the map but I can see an extended period of mediocrity unless Brown comes up with another Young.
    Knocking on wood....

Gee I hope they'll be ok!

Red Shirt

Too bad the LHN isn't making the splash with recruiting they'd hoped. Of course it was never intended to help recruiting, wink, wink.

Quote Originally Posted by KTexUNLfan View Post
    Too bad the LHN isn't making the splash with recruiting they'd hoped. Of course it was never intended to help recruiting, wink, wink.

I think it has to be available to more than 4 holmes before it will make an impact

Quote Originally Posted by N2FL View Post
    Slipped behind Baylor, Houston and TCU? No chance. That will never happen. I can see the Texas A&M argument with the SEC card they can now play, but the other three schools will always be 2nd fiddle to the Longhorns...always.
    Glad to see we agree, you pretty much echoed my sentiments

TCU is already making the most of joining the Big XII

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/...ted-drug-sweep

Sitting just quietly under the cork tree, smelling the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by N2FL View Post
    50-years ago is considered 'recent'? I see what you were saying, but the time-frame and the wording kinda made me chuckle.
    I'm old But that was even before my time.

But it would still be interesting if a big-time program more or less drops off the map without help from a death penalty type deal. Maybe it was the spate of recent scandals but my guess it will be penalties that kill a program as opposed to a continued gradual decline and loss of interest.

Speaking of which, I need to go see whatever happened with Miami's latest scandal...

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashmouth Husker View Post
    Gee I hope they'll be ok!
    I believe that they have picked up a couple of commitments this week-an offensive lineman, and a wide receiver.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by carrolltonsker View Post
    I believe that they have picked up a couple of commitments this week-an offensive lineman, and a wide receiver.
    Yeah Texas is off to a very slow start for them. Notorious for filling their class extremely early. They only have 3 commits, albeit by three very good looking players. Since I have the numbers already archived, I thought I would go ahead and look at previous recruiting classes by Texas to see just how slow this start is.

While it is not yet the end of February, here is what I have on them since 2006 and through the class of 2012...

Including the class of 2006, Texas has signed 164 players. Of those 164, only 32 have committed after June. That means on average, they have had 80% of their class finished basically by the time the kids are completing their Junior years in High School. In fact, 85 of their recruits committed before the month of February was over. That is 52% of their average class. Truly amazing and envious for every other school in the country. I know Nebraska hates Texas, but I guarentee you Bo Pelini and every other coach in the country would love a recruiting cycle like the one Texas typically enjoys.

247 shows UT now has twelve 4* recruits. That's tied for tops with Michigan...

Red Shirt
    No worries, Mack Brown will coach 'em up to 3 stars soon enough!

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker10 View Post
    247 shows UT now has twelve 4* recruits. That's tied for tops with Michigan...
    Yeah, Texas will fill out their class long before we will.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

I find it interesting that the ESPN talk shows and their callers are all excited that Mack is not taking those early recruits this year. The line is that those early 4 and 5 stars are weak players. He is now finding good 4 and 5 stars and that takes longer.