Get HuskerMax on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: More Americans Relying on Government Benefits

All Legend

Quote Originally Posted by COsker View Post
    "Collective investment"? Folks can't bring themselves to call spending, spending.

Somebody's writing stuff for the Obama campaign..or should be. Get their piece of the billions.
    It is spending. More specifically, it's investment.

Never understand why some hate nuance.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    You familiar with the expression "cut off your nose to spite your face"?

Plus, distributing the massive growth in productivity and its profits is economically sound thinking because it encourages the masses to vote for pro growth initiatives, such as free trade, globalization and domestic training programs.

And we need that block. Because I do think the system should remain democratic.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

All Legend

The system of choosing the best economic course should remain in the hands of politicians that are democratically elected, for many different reasons.

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Oh my!
    The system of choosing the best economic course should remain in the hands of politicians that are democratically elected, for many different reasons.
    And which course have they chosen?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Oh my!
    Communist Russia was a democracy where politicians were elected and chose their economic course.

All Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Communist Russia was a democracy where politicians were elected and chose their economic course.
    boy oh boy.

Rebel Alliance
    That is how we got 16 trillion dollars of debt, bridges to no where, a unoccupied federal office space costing us 20 billion dollars a year to maintain and secure annually...yup so many different reasons.
    As government gets bigger people get smaller

All Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    That is how we got 16 trillion dollars of debt, bridges to no where, a unoccupied federal office space costing us 20 billion dollars a year to maintain and secure annually...yup so many different reasons.
    Boy oh boy.

Read the thread.

Man, talking to some on this board is worse than dealing with the media's obsession with pulling out isolated soundbites and building mountains out of molehills.

Oh my!
    boy oh boy.
    Law school has been described as a place for the accumulation of learning. First-year students bring some in; third-year students take none away. Hence it accumulates
    Author unknown

All Legend

Law school has been described as a place for the accumulation of learning. First-year students bring some in; third-year students take none away. Hence it accumulates
    Author unknown
    Do you believe that Soviet Russia was a functioning democracy? Yes or no?

p.s. the way some celebrate a lack of education may be the truly biggest danger to this country.

Oh my!
    Do you believe that Soviet Russia was a functioning democracy? Yes or no?

p.s. the way some celebrate a lack of education may be the truly biggest danger to this country.
    Actually it was a single party democracy (a word that you like, oligarchy) until about 1987 or so and then it wasn't functioning anymore.

Rebel Alliance
    Boy oh boy.

Read the thread.

Man, talking to some on this board is worse than dealing with the media's obsession with pulling out isolated soundbites and building mountains out of molehills.
    My post was a reaction to your post:

Status quo has been working great so far keep it going!

All Legend

My post was a reaction to your post:

Status quo has been working great so far keep it going!
    Where in the world are you getting that I'm for the status quo?

Or are you for overthrowing our democratic process?

All Legend

Actually it was a single party democracy (a word that you like, oligarchy) until about 1987 or so and then it wasn't functioning anymore.
    A single party democracy that regularly won 99%+ of the vote.

Is that a functioning democracy? Yes or no works.

Rebel Alliance
    Where in the world are you getting that I'm for the status quo?

Or are you for overthrowing our democratic process?
    No I don't want to over throw the democratic process I just want less politicians manipulating the economy. The market is the ultimate democratic system but it needs oversight so that everyone is playing by the rules...We don't need more government we need less more focused government that isn't mucking around trying to run the market how they see fit.

Oh your quote is all about the status quo...much of what you have written in this thread is status quo. Politicians picking winner and losers...

Oh my!
    A single party democracy that regularly won 99%+ of the vote.

Is that a functioning democracy? Yes or no works.
    Democracy has many meanings (from the world dictionary):
    1. government by the people or their elected representatives
    2. a political or social unit governed ultimately by all its members
    3. the practice or spirit of social equality
    4. a social condition of classlessness and equality
    5. the common people, esp as a political force
    They covered #1, 3 and 4

All Legend

No I don't want to over throw the democratic process I just want less politicians manipulating the economy. The market is the ultimate democratic system but it needs oversight so that everyone is playing by the rules...We don't need more government we need less more focused government that isn't mucking around trying to run the market how they see fit.

Oh your quote is all about the status quo...much of what you have written in this thread is status quo. Politicians picking winner and losers...
    Im actually advocating less political manipulation and more accountability. Even started a thread on it today.

All Legend

Democracy has many meanings (from the world dictionary):

They covered #1, 3 and 4
    Do you understand the difference between a function democracy and one that is democracy in name only?

Oh my!

I am not in for over-throwing the democratic process in place either, I just love how some posts go to the extreme and then when you reply, you are an extremist. I am a big proponent of less but more efficient government, that is a long way from over-throwing, it is kind of like the Medicare / Medicaid debate, if you change it, you are destroying it...

Oh my!
    Do you understand the difference between a function democracy and one that is democracy in name only?
    I don't know, what is a functioning democracy?
    I think it is funny that the US has 2 major parties that stand for about 90% of the same things, but are very polarized on about 10% or so of the other issues. Better yet, both parties have very different reasons on how or why we achieve the same result in different ways and will constantly debate it, yet we still agree on about 90% of them. You yourself have used the term oligarchy to describe rich elites, can I ask you if the US has an oligarchy of 2 government-party elites? If you want to be elected into office here in the US you need to have the support of at least one of the 2 government-parties, if you don't have that backing, ie. chosen by one of the two parties, you do not have a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected. Is the US a functioning democracy because there are two parties and they see so many "drastic differences" in that 10%, is that 10% enough to separate us from the 90% we agree on and keep us out of the oligarchy definition, the very same oligarchy definition that you are trying to get me to say is a democracy in name only.
    I don't know, what is a democracy in name only?

Now if I were a smart *** I would tell you that your question is a dumb question because technically Soviet Russia was really a Republic.

Then I would tell you that the US is a Republic too.