Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 88

Thread: Suing Big Beer and Small Business

  1. #1

    Suing Big Beer and Small Business

    http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/09/425...s-lawsuit.html

    Is this the fault of the business owners, that they have customers??? Should the vendors in White Clay be the subject of a lawsuit, is there really a case here? Or is this more of a plea to bring attention to the fact that many of the adults of the Pine Ridge Reservation are alcoholics who need help?

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Huskermedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    21,805
    So from reading that it sound like they sale beer to a legal business that is allowed to sale beer. The business then sales beer following the law to people 21 and over. Some of those people sale it to tribe members and that is the beer makers fault?

    Is there a law on the books at the state level that says they could not sale beer to tribe members? Does that law require an id to prove people are not tribe members?

    Just based off the read I am saying junk lawsuit.


    Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!



    Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)


  3. #3
    Blackshirt
    Ogahusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    14,953
    Sad to say but if Whiteclay didn't exist, alcoholism would still be a huge problem.

    Are the booze salesmen taking advantage of a bad situation? Absolutely. Is anyone putting a gun to someones head forcing them to drink? Nope.
    I used to have superpowers.....but my therapist took them away...

  4. #4
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,799
    Capitalism for the WIN!

  5. #5
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,799
    Anyone else find this funny as hell?
    The sale, possession and consumption of alcohol is illegal on the Pine Ridge, where tribal members suffer from crippling poverty and alcoholism rates

    "We can now begin to address the terrible harm to the Lakota people caused by Whiteclay alcohol sales," said OST vice president Tom Poor Bear.

  6. #6
    pray for me ;)
    ColoREDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Denver 'burbs
    Posts
    48,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogahusker View Post
    Sad to say but if Whiteclay didn't exist, alcoholism would still be a huge problem.

    Are the booze salesmen taking advantage of a bad situation? Absolutely. Is anyone putting a gun to someones head forcing them to drink? Nope.
    Yep. Alcohol is just one of those addictive, dangerous drugs that we welcome with open arms in this country. As it should be. Buyer beware.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

  7. #7
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,855
    legalize marijuana!


    oops wrong thread.

  8. #8
    Intellectual Patriot
    Squatchsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, Nebraska, United States
    Posts
    15,697
    So, this is a very layered deal going on here. Bottom line is the lawsuit is abhorrent. BUT, last year the Highway Patrol did multiple stings in Whitclay where minors were consistently sold alcohol as well as after hours sales.

    The lawsuit against private enterprise is, as stated above ridiculous in nature. Are the vendor's sales practices predatory? Yes, without a doubt. If the vendors in Whiteclay were following all pertinent laws it would make a little difference in my opinion of them but it still doesnt change a thing about the legality of what they are doing. I heard the Director of Nebraskan's For Peace on the radio this morning exhtolling the virtues of ethics through litigation and it made me nauseous.

    The Reservation has its own issues, that include decades of dependence upon the US Gov't that have lead to the pentultimate entitlement state. The culture has been bred and reared on The Res for a long time, and the rampant alcoholism is merely a symbol of the pervasive attitudes.

    This is the kind of lawsuit that has the potential to allow people to successfully sue fast food chains, tobacco retailers, car manufacturer's, et al to no end.

    Where is the personal responsability?
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

    I love fan mail.

  9. #9
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    Where is the personal responsability?
    went out the window oh about 20 years ago.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    So, this is a very layered deal going on here. Bottom line is the lawsuit is abhorrent. BUT, last year the Highway Patrol did multiple stings in Whitclay where minors were consistently sold alcohol as well as after hours sales.

    The lawsuit against private enterprise is, as stated above ridiculous in nature. Are the vendor's sales practices predatory? Yes, without a doubt. If the vendors in Whiteclay were following all pertinent laws it would make a little difference in my opinion of them but it still doesnt change a thing about the legality of what they are doing. I heard the Director of Nebraskan's For Peace on the radio this morning exhtolling the virtues of ethics through litigation and it made me nauseous.

    The Reservation has its own issues, that include decades of dependence upon the US Gov't that have lead to the pentultimate entitlement state. The culture has been bred and reared on The Res for a long time, and the rampant alcoholism is merely a symbol of the pervasive attitudes.

    This is the kind of lawsuit that has the potential to allow people to successfully sue fast food chains, tobacco retailers, car manufacturer's, et al to no end.

    Where is the personal responsability?
    I heard that Nebraskan's for Peace nitwit too, on Voorhees. WORTHLESS. I thought NfP was an anti-war group. Guess they had to retool since their guy keeps getting us into wars!

    This goes to show that no matter what the idealistic liberal cause, it always seems to boil down to them knowing what is best for everyone, and trying to put people out of business.

  11. #11
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    I heard that Nebraskan's for Peace nitwit too, on Voorhees. WORTHLESS. I thought NfP was an anti-war group. Guess they had to retool since their guy keeps getting us into wars!

    This goes to show that no matter what the idealistic liberal cause, it always seems to boil down to them knowing what is best for everyone, and trying to put people out of business.
    Yeah. Conservatives NEVER do anything like that.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    I heard that Nebraskan's for Peace nitwit too, on Voorhees. WORTHLESS. I thought NfP was an anti-war group. Guess they had to retool since their guy keeps getting us into wars!

    This goes to show that no matter what the idealistic liberal cause, it always seems to boil down to them knowing what is best for everyone, and trying to put people out of business.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Yeah. Conservatives NEVER do anything like that.
    I can't think of any conservative groups (aside from anti-abortion crowds) trying to put people out of business. Or at the very least, the conservative groups don't hide their agenda behind some BS moniker like "Nebraskans for Peace". What does the plight of Lakota Indians from a reservation surrounded by South Dakota have ANYTHING to do with NfP? All NfP is doing is trying to make any kind of name for itself. Hell, even their request to "join us" is dated 2011 (bottom of the page). I guess no one has thought to change that, and no one has joined up for a while...

    http://nfp.eplicanic.com/

    Don't go to the link for too long, otherwise it might infect your computer with bedbugs and fecal matter.

  13. #13
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,799
    Strip clubs. Porn. Bars. Just to name a quick 3 that I know of.

  14. #14
    Oh my!
    Red_in_Blue_Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Posts
    12,892
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Strip clubs. Porn. Bars. Just to name a quick 3 that I know of.
    I am conservative and I don't want any of them to go out of business
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

    "Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

  15. #15
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    I am conservative and I don't want any of them to go out of business
    Thats great for you. But seeing as how BRR was stereotyping and generalizing, your opinion doesn't count.







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •