Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $4 Billion, with a B

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Sure, let's incarcerate even more people for longer for victimless crimes (yep, getting stopped for impaired driving is victimless). Great idea. Not.

No, too much power/authority in the hands of the employer. Seems as if employers already have pretty good recourse when it comes to detecting and dealing with drug use in the workplace. See no need to make that any stronger, really.
    Driving under the influence of drugs is OK? You are really making this statement?

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    Driving under the influence of drugs is OK? You are really making this statement?
    Wow. No.

Now I remember why I generally don't comment on your posts.

Bye, and have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Sure, let's incarcerate even more people for longer for victimless crimes (yep, getting stopped for impaired driving is victimless). Great idea. Not.
    Driving impaired isn't really victimless, I mean it's a roll of the dice if there will be a victim or not.

I think the real question regarding legalizing drugs, especially when you're talking about exquisitely engineered devices of human destruction like meth, is how much would drug use increase if we made it legal? Increased use of meth is increased human misery, not just for the users but for society who has to manage the wreckage. When we make it legal (equivalent to lowering the cost), use will increase at least somewhat. The question is how much. If we could estimate how much, and it was tolerable, I think you could get people talking seriously about legalization.

But what I'm always reminded is that alcohol is a massive scourge in our society currently, and it's legal. Sure, we tried to make it illegal once and that was an epic failure, but that was because we already had a whole widespread culture built around alcohol consumption. We couldn't put the horses back in the barn.

So you wonder, if we legalize other drugs, if usage will increase to the point where they turn out like our current major legal drug, alcohol. Because that would be pretty bad. If each one, (meth, heroin, cocaine, crack, etc) caused its own massive set of traffic fatalities, domestic violence, dependency, and so on like alcohol does today, we'd be doomed.

pray for me ;)
    No problem... then I have a few requirements - no addiction support either from tax dollars, pee test for any form of assistance, driving under the influence of anything is 5 years 1st offense, employers can test daily for any drugs and can fire without cause.
    Lets do the same for alcohol. I would have no problem without alcohol or other drugs.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Lets do the same for alcohol. I would have no problem without alcohol or other drugs.

Why do you want to take away one of my biggest sources of retainers?

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post
    Why do you want to take away one of my biggest sources of retainers?
    LOL, I don't believe me.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Starter
    LOL, I don't believe me.
    So you are only saying it for effect.. got it.

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard

I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

All Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by huskerator 5000 View Post
    Driving impaired isn't really victimless, I mean it's a roll of the dice if there will be a victim or not.
    Well, it is victimless until there's an accident, in which case punishment can and should be severe. There's a lot of interesting debate/discussion about this topic when it comes to regular DUI versus manslaughter.

I think the real question regarding legalizing drugs, especially when you're talking about exquisitely engineered devices of human destruction like meth, is how much would drug use increase if we made it legal? Increased use of meth is increased human misery, not just for the users but for society who has to manage the wreckage. When we make it legal (equivalent to lowering the cost), use will increase at least somewhat. The question is how much. If we could estimate how much, and it was tolerable, I think you could get people talking seriously about legalization.

But what I'm always reminded is that alcohol is a massive scourge in our society currently, and it's legal. Sure, we tried to make it illegal once and that was an epic failure, but that was because we already had a whole widespread culture built around alcohol consumption. We couldn't put the horses back in the barn.

So you wonder, if we legalize other drugs, if usage will increase to the point where they turn out like our current major legal drug, alcohol. Because that would be pretty bad. If each one, (meth, heroin, cocaine, crack, etc) caused its own massive set of traffic fatalities, domestic violence, dependency, and so on like alcohol does today, we'd be doomed.
    There are two options:

1. Ban the precursor drugs that go into producing meth (convince companies that currently produce them to quit doing so... this was done with quaaludes), but would also mean more and longer sniffly noses.

2. Provide free drugs to people at government dispensaries, but the drugs must be consumed onsite and outreach programs for treatment will be offered. This is probably the smartest idea, but many will hate the notion of giving out free drugs to addicts, even if it means billions of dollars and thousands of lives saved. The other downside is that the restriction may still allow for a black market. Still, it seems unlikely because who will pay enough for something that's otherwise free, and I think people are much less likely to try it for the first time in such settings.

pray for me ;)
    So you are only saying it for effect.. got it.
    Actually, its because I am consistent unlike you who ignores current legal drugs ill-effects but is alright with them because you are likely a user.

Starter
    Actually, its because I am consistent unlike you who ignores current legal drugs ill-effects but is alright with them because you are likely a user.

oh.. yea, that's it. you get called on something and the best you can do is resort to "you are likely a user".

Go smoke another bowl, the gene pool needs further cleansing

Life is hard

pray for me ;)
    oh.. yea, that's it. you get called on something and the best you can do is resort to "you are likely a user".

Go smoke another bowl, the gene pool needs further cleansing
    I don't smoke pot and likely don't do nearly as much alcohol as you do...user.

Starter
    I don't smoke pot and likely don't do nearly as much alcohol as you do...user.
    As par for the course you don't have clue about me, so don't even pretend you do.

Life is hard

pray for me ;)
    As par for the course you don't have clue about me, so don't even pretend you do.
    I know you are okay with alcohol being legal but not marijuana. Inconsistent.

And you know so much about me that you say I should "smoke another bowl".

Starter
    I know you are okay with alcohol being legal but not marijuana. Inconsistent.

And you know so much about me that you say I should "smoke another bowl".
    I am? Link please.

I am not arrogant about it like others, but could care less if it was outlawed.

Life is hard

pray for me ;)
    I am? Link please.

I am not arrogant about it like others, but could care less if it was outlawed.
    I think marijuana should be legal but it certainly doesn't keep me up at night. So you are for taking away even more of our liberties...got it.