Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warren Buffett talks a little Huskers on CBS

Administrator

Warren Buffett talks a little Huskers on CBS

He takes Charlie Rose on a video tour of his HQ in Omaha.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505383_1...warren-buffett

At the 1:15 mark:

CHARLIE ROSE: There are some references to the University of Nebraska there, the Big Red. Does that football team mean something?

WARREN BUFFETT: It -- means a lot. Means everything. It -- in Nebraska, when there's a div -- when there's a divorce, the husband says, you know, "You can have the kids, I want the tickets." (LAUGHS) ...

Yeah, come on and look around a little here. (CHUCKLES)

Here's a Nebraska helmet signed by Tom Osborne and a number of the top players. I've -- I've been red-shirted myself now for 61 years. But I'm ready to go when the need arises.

Scout Team
    Oh NO, 61 year red shirt, here comes the NCAA Rules Committee again. Maybe Warren can give them a small donation and make them go away.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by LAPDHusker View Post
    Oh NO, 61 year red shirt, here comes the NCAA Rules Committee again. Maybe Warren can give them a small donation and make them go away.
    The SEC will accuse us of oversigning.
    5 National Titles. 9 Undefeated Seasons. 50 Bowl Appearances. 43 Conference Championships. 10 Division Titles.

3 Heisman Winners. 54 Consensus All-Americans. 28 Major Award Winners. 23 College Football Hall of Famers.

There is No Place Like Nebraska.

Husker Fan

Buffett doesn't even donate much (if anything) to the Athletic Department.

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    Buffett doesn't even donate much (if anything) to the Athletic Department.
    I seriously doubt that but we'll probably never know if he wants it that way. The University & the AD receive some donations from some silent donors who wish to keep their donations private. He may give donations "in kind" in some way that works for the University and for himself. Whatever he gives, I appreciate it. The good publicity he provides is worth something too.

Scout Team
    Nebraska doesn't need a Phil Knight or T. Boone Pickens.

Our athletic department has some of the best facilities in the world and football funds all other other non-revenue sports at the university. Plus, we accomplish it all without the opinionated demands of a rich blowhard. I could tell you guys horror stories about the stuff "Uncle Phil" demands from Oregon.
    5 National Titles. 9 Undefeated Seasons. 50 Bowl Appearances. 43 Conference Championships. 10 Division Titles.

3 Heisman Winners. 54 Consensus All-Americans. 28 Major Award Winners. 23 College Football Hall of Famers.

There is No Place Like Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by KTexUNLfan View Post
    I seriously doubt that but we'll probably never know if he wants it that way. The University & the AD receive some donations from some silent donors who wish to keep their donations private. He may give donations "in kind" in some way that works for the University and for himself. Whatever he gives, I appreciate it. The good publicity he provides is worth something too.
    Yes That's what I do,Gave NU my fortune, but don't want people to know about it, but hey ahhh shucks that's little old me.... My question did he play his ukulele while he told us about NU on CBS...

Warren is a poser. Maybe his secretary could afford to go to a few Husker games if he'd pay her more...cheapskate.

Warren seemed to like the idea of being a Redshirt, no pressure to preform? Maybe time to pull the Redshirt. He dosen't seem shy about giving Billions to his pal in Seattle.
    He doesn't need to become another T Boone but his donations don't need to be anonymous either.
    What's wrong with giving to a football program you like? Nebraska football memorabilia was the only nonbusiness collection that he showed off in the CBS show last night.

Recruit

It always fascinates when this topic comes up that people complain that Warren doesn't make his donations public. It really isn't any of our business what he does with his money, and to be honest, isn't it better that he is donating the bulk of it to charity rather than a football team? I love the Huskers, I donate, I have season tickets but there are far more pressing matters in the world than how much DONU has in the bank. While I have no hard proof, it is pretty well known on campus that Warren puts money back into both the school and the football program, and he chooses to do so without any publicity. That is perfectly his right, I don't see how any of us get a say in it. As for his choice of donation, there are lots of Nebraska folks involved with the Gates Foundation, there are worse places that money could be going.

Speaking of Warren, I will never forget the video clip he did for a game against Colorado a few years back, when he mentioned the Nebraska Fortune 500 companies, while fewer in number, brought in more revenue than the Colorado ones combined.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerflush View Post
    It always fascinates when this topic comes up that people complain that Warren doesn't make his donations public. It really isn't any of our business what he does with his money, and to be honest, isn't it better that he is donating the bulk of it to charity rather than a football team? I love the Huskers, I donate, I have season tickets but there are far more pressing matters in the world than how much DONU has in the bank. While I have no hard proof, it is pretty well known on campus that Warren puts money back into both the school and the football program, and he chooses to do so without any publicity. That is perfectly his right, I don't see how any of us get a say in it. As for his choice of donation, there are lots of Nebraska folks involved with the Gates Foundation, there are worse places that money could be going.
    Exactly right.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerflush View Post

Speaking of Warren, I will never forget the video clip he did for a game against Colorado a few years back, when he mentioned the Nebraska Fortune 500 companies, while fewer in number, brought in more revenue than the Colorado ones combined.
    His "charity" is evil and he is a troll. He can stick his money ...

Founding Father
    Wasn't there talk that when the university was stuck with the buy-outs of both SP and BC, those funds had been secured through private donations? I remember reading about that and the discussions that ensued had a lot of people thinking that Warren had ponied up to get the program straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberbach View Post
    Wasn't there talk that when the university was stuck with the buy-outs of both SP and BC, those funds had been secured through private donations? I remember reading about that and the discussions that ensued had a lot of people thinking that Warren had ponied up to get the program straightened out.
    Uhhhm no. That would have been a certain Husker down in ... uhhh .... West Texas, but I'm not mentioning any names. All I can say are his initials are WTH.
    "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy, Wuzzy?"

All Big 10
    My guess is that Warren has given some and will give more. And anyway, Husker fandom should transcend politics. I give him props for getting us some free publicity, and with good humor.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014