Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ten ready to embrace four-team playoff?

Administrator

Big Ten ready to embrace four-team playoff?

The Chicago Tribune says it appears to be so:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...971,full.story

The two semifinal games would be at the home stadium of the higher-seeded team, which alleviates some travel and attendance concerns

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JHudson View Post

The two semifinal games would be at the home stadium of the higher-seeded team, which alleviates some travel and attendance concerns

The Big 10 getting out of the way...or even behind a plan...should make this happen fairly soon.

A little small but 4 will eventually become 8...which is good.

The home sites for the first round is a breath of fresh air. The idea that you could do this at bowl sites has been a major part of so many plans...and it's a horrible idea. Home sites until the final is the only way to go!

***YesMan***
    Quote Originally Posted by JHudson View Post

I'm all in favor of a playoff...always have been....However, 4 teams??...Doesn't work for me unless there is a better way to choose which 4 teams will participate.... If we are going to continue to allow the media to choose which teams will participate without some qualifying system, then just leave it alone...if there is a fair system that allows for teams to earn their way in without any media input..then I'd be open to the idea. If we are going to have playoffs with home games....then they can make it work with at least 12 teams with the top 4 earning a bye while 8 other teams compete to finish out an elite 8....Playoffs need to happen..... it is just the way they determine who goes...that is where the problem will lie.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by dkref11 View Post
    I'm all in favor of a playoff...always have been....However, 4 teams??...Doesn't work for me unless there is a better way to choose which 4 teams will participate.... If we are going to continue to allow the media to choose which teams will participate without some qualifying system, then just leave it alone...if there is a fair system that allows for teams to earn their way in without any media input..then I'd be open to the idea. If we are going to have playoffs with home games....then they can make it work with at least 12 teams with the top 4 earning a bye while 8 other teams compete to finish out an elite 8....Playoffs need to happen it is just the way they determine who goes...that is where the problem will lie.
    I really think, if it's 4 teams they should take the top 4 "BCS" ranked teams that WON THEIR CONFERENCE. Baby steps though.

If you look at 2011 I think that means Boise @ LSU and Oregon @ Okie State. Works for me.

***YesMan***
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    I really think, if it's 4 teams they should take the top 4 "BCS" ranked teams that WON THEIR CONFERENCE. Baby steps though.

If you look at 2011 I think that means Boise @ LSU and Oregon @ Okie State. Works for me.

Conference winners!! good first step..

Husker Fan

Actually, TCU won the Mountain West.

Your fourth team -- based on winning the conference (which I like) -- would have been Wisconsin.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerWeatherman View Post

Your fourth team -- based on winning the conference (which I like) -- would have been Wisconsin.
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

Am I looking at the wrong list?

EDIT....nevermind...I get it. Just assumed Boise won their conference like usual.

And so it starts! First we have 4 teams, then a team gets left out so it goes to 8 teams and a team gets left out, so they make it 16....

Varsity
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

Am I looking at the wrong list?
    No, but TCU won the Mountain West and Boise wouldn't be a conference champ.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerMark View Post
    And so it starts! First we have 4 teams, then a team gets left out so it goes to 8 teams and a team gets left out, so they make it 16....
    If it makes you feel better it will never get past 16.

Hell no it does not make me feel better. I am anti-playoff to the core.

***YesMan***
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerWeatherman View Post

This is where you run into a problem...even though Wisconsin wins it's Conference...they were not even in the top 10 in the BSC going into the bowl games....

Husker Fan

It's coming. And it's gonna be a great thing!

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by dkref11 View Post
    This is where you run into a problem...even though Wisconsin wins it's division...they were not even in the top 10 in the BSC going into the bowl games....

The "winning your conference" puts to rest any idea that the regular season becomes "meaningless". Everyone above Wisco had a chance to win their's.

Heisman
    Someone probably said that about the NCAA BBall Tournament at one time.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.

***YesMan***
    I can see why you can be anti-playoff for the same reasons I have skepticism....who's going to go and who chooses.....If that can't be rectified..then leave the system alone...agreed!

Scout Team

me too.

It's coming. And it's gonna be a great thing!

Whats next? The B.A.S.S allowing live bait at their tournament? The P.B.A going to all 9 pin no tap tournaments? Some things are better left as they are and college football is one of them IMHO.

***YesMan***
    The "winning your conference" puts to rest any idea that the regular season becomes "meaningless". Everyone above Wisco had a chance to win their's.
    Lets say Georgia had beaten LSU...you would have been ok with them in a championship run with their record?

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by USMC_BugEater View Post
    Someone probably said that about the NCAA BBall Tournament at one time.

You have to start with an understanding that two things are NEVER going away.

1. 12 games regular seasons. Too much money. Try to take that away and the conferences will simply can the idea.

2. Conference title games. Too much money. Try to take that away.....

A 16 team playoff would mean 17 game seasons for a couple teams.

A. There's no way they will exceed that.
    B. It really WOULD water down the product. Even basketball hasn't gotten that far yet (yet).
    C. The conferences are still going to want a bowl season. If you expand the playoffs too far the bowls become less and less viable.

It's not going beyond 16. Not in our lifetimes.