Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Track Record of Signing Day Prima Donnas...

Track Record of Signing Day Prima Donnas...

I consider the need to have a hype, show and attention for signing day to be a character flaw... I would be interested in the track record of signing day announcers and switchers. Of course, one has to realize you have to be a very special talent to have two or more top coaches holding a scholarship until (or after) signing day.

And since Prima Donna means first lady... how many turned out to be the real deal and how many turned out to be... don't want to get the feminists riled up, you get the picture...

My guess is more fail or become problems to their school than similarly rated (5*) players who do not engage in the hype machine.

Please add to the list:

Major Fails
    Terrell Pryor - developed into a streaky but occasionally great player... got bounced for selling memorabilia in tattoo gate...

Proved the Hype
    Emmitt Smith - Left DONU at the alter for home state Florida. All American, All-Pro, NFL Hall of Fame

Scout Team
    Arlington, TX ... home of the Arlington Cowboys and Jerry's World!!
    To add to this, would be curious to see any difference between those who bring hats to the table to pick from vs. those who don't.
    12/02/07

7/1/11

"To love another person is to see the face of God" Victor Hugo

Scout Team
    I would assume the hit/miss rate to be very close to the what it is for the general recruited population.

Hows Owa doin so far in his career?

Quote Originally Posted by bucktril View Post
    I would assume the hit/miss rate to be very close to the what it is for the general recruited population.
    Perhaps... but my hypothesis is that anyone seeking to make a big show out of their signing is likely to be of lower character in some way, shape or form. Therefore I would hypothesize they are more likely to wash out. Since they are mostly 5*; you would have to compare them to the overall average of 5*

Quote Originally Posted by KleinTxHusker:838334
    Quote Originally Posted by bucktril View Post
    Perhaps... but my hypothesis is that anyone seeking to make a big show out of their signing is likely to be of lower character in some way, shape or form. Therefore I would hypothesize they are more likely to wash out. Since they are mostly 5*; you would have to compare them to the overall average of 5*
    Hard to judge the character of 17-18 yr olds. They're kids having some fun. What 18 yr old wouldnt want to be on tv????? Get real

Sitting just quietly under the cork tree, smelling the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by redtildead95 View Post
    Hard to judge the character of 17-18 yr olds. They're kids having some fun. What 18 yr old wouldnt want to be on tv????? Get real
    I'm with Bo on this one in terms of personal style, but agree with your post - if they are having fun doing it, that's cool - they will only get the chance once so no problem.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by redtildead95 View Post
    I agree. Added to this are the all star games and ESPN signing day special that promotes kids making their choice on TV. Maybe instead of asking kids to stop acting like kids, we can ask the networks to grow up a bit.