Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Mark Richt is going to church with state's No. 1 football recruit

Mark Richt is going to church with state's No. 1 football recruit

Only in the SEC.... God Bless us all....

UGA coach Mark Richt is going to church on Wednesday with the state of Georgia’s top uncommitted prospect, Josh Harvey-Clemons .

Richt’s church visit will count as his in-home visit with the 6-foot-5, 200-pound linebacker from Lowndes High School. Harvey-Clemons has UGA, Florida and Florida State in a three-way tie and will announce his decision on National Signing Day (Feb 1.).

Richt, who is known for his Christian beliefs, won’t be the first college coach to attend church services with Harvey-Clemons at a small Baptist church in the Clyattville area of Lowndes County.

“[ Will Muschamp ] came to our regular service about a month ago; I guess Coach Richt doesn’t want to let Coach Muschamp beat him out with going to church with us,” said Josh’s grandfather, Woodrow Clemons, with a laugh.

The elder Clemons has been attending Mt. Calvary Baptist for around 50 years. It’s a popular place of worship for many former Lowndes football stars, including family members of Greg Reid (plays at FSU), Telvin Smith (FSU) and Jay Rome (UGA).
    It created quite a stir when Florida's coach showed up at church last month. “We gave everybody a heads up, and they were surprised to see [Muschamp],” Clemons said. “And the collection plate was equally surprised.”

Josh’s grandfather said the idea to invite the college coaches to worship was from some of the deacons. “Coach Richt liked the idea. He said he was more than happy to be there.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012...ogs_recruiting
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

All Legend
    If Richt normally shows up in church on Sunday, then this is no big deal...however, if he ain't the church going type, then the big guy upstairs needs to get back in the smiting business.

I guess it's no different than football coaches at a basketball game

Church and State? Constitutional Issues

Red Shirt
    If it was "typical" SEC, it would have been in a strip club! Good for coach Richt. He is one of the good guys!

pray for me ;)
    Using superstition is a smart move.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Red Shirt
    “And the collection plate was equally surprised.”
    I wonder what Muschamp put in the collection plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Howl View Post
    I wonder what Muschamp put in the collection plate?
    A new organ?

Red Shirt
    Mark Richt speaks out against the SEC oversigning he seems to be from everything i read to be a class act. Tough, when you are a man of character who wants to do things right, to coach football in the SEC.
    "My job as a football coach is to educate and prepare the kids who come into this program for the rest of their life..." Bo Pelini at the Penn State post game press conference Nov. 12 2011

Richt is a class act with out any doubt....and I have said so many times on here....just found it interesting the lengths coaches will go to to win a kids commit....

Quote Originally Posted by YUENGLING View Post
    Mark Richt speaks out against the SEC oversigning he seems to be from everything i read to be a class act. Tough, when you are a man of character who wants to do things right, to coach football in the SEC.

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    If Richt normally shows up in church on Sunday, then this is no big deal...however, if he ain't the church going type, then the big guy upstairs needs to get back in the smiting business.

I guess it's no different than football coaches at a basketball game
    I believe he is a strong Christian, from what I've read about him. He also was a Husker fan as a kid, I do believe I read somewhere. Frankly, as long as it is legal I think it is a brilliant move.

Red Shirt
    I wonder which prayer will be answered. Richt's or Muschamp's? Don't SEC coaches usually rely on the devil?
    Chuck Norris has counted to infinity - twice!

Richt is a devout Christian. Great coach and better man, would love to have my kids play for him some day. Also, it's the South...and more than that it's South Georgia, Church on every corner...smart move Richt....Momma will be smilin

Not funny at all....

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Using superstition is a smart move.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Not funny at all....
    Wasn't meant to be.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Yeah I know....

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Wasn't meant to be.

Richt is one of the good guys. If he is doing this, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that his reasons are genuine.

Red Shirt
    I too respect Mark and I know it's got to be tough doing the right thing and being in the SEC. I'm glad there is a little light down south. I think he has Georgia going in the right direction.

Red Shirt
    Now, that was funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysRed View Post
    I wonder which prayer will be answered. Richt's or Muschamp's? Don't SEC coaches usually rely on the devil?