Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: N2FL Calls Lester Ward and Steven Osborne Recruiting Misses ???

Red Shirt

N2FL Calls Lester Ward and Steven Osborne Recruiting Misses ???

How do young men like Lester Ward and Steven Osborne get called recruiting misses by N2FL after spending four years on the Husker team. Lester Ward played behind Roy Helu ( NFL all Rookie) and Rex Burkhead ( destined to become a legend at Nebraska). The young man competed, never complained, agreed to move to TE this season (a position he never played) and did nothing but work hard on and off the field.

Steven Osborne, a 2011 Brooke Berringer Team member has also worked hard without complaining and certainly is an asset to this team. I'm not sure he's on the two deep but he'll be back and working hard and pushing for playing time for a fifth year.

As a fan I am extermely proud of these two Huskers who did everything the coaches asked and more. Playing four years for Nebraska and earning a degree is something to be proud of and most Husker fans would agree. There's more to the team than the two deep roster and as a high school player and coach I realize both of these young men were important members of the team.

You owe both Ward and Osborne an apology. Your comments are way out of line and suggest they didn't deserve or earn their scholarships.
    I'd like to see your credentials. Did you ever see the inside of a locker room ? Where and when did you play? At what level ? Where do you get your expertise?
    "My job as a football coach is to educate and prepare the kids who come into this program for the rest of their life..." Bo Pelini at the Penn State post game press conference Nov. 12 2011

Message Board Wizard
    wow. over react much?

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by izzycohen View Post
    wow. over react much?
    +1

Love you Yueng....you know that....however, he is correct what he is saying in the context that he wrote it....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by izzycohen View Post
    wow. over react much?
    +2

You can come down now.

Bottoms up!

Recruit
    You must be one of those parents that gives "participation trophies" to their kids for finishing in last place, even though they were busy chasing butterflies and picking dandelions....

He said nothing about effort and nothing about them being on the team because they weren't good enough....it's the reality of major college football....some kids just don't end up being that good, and some don't live up to the hype....while they're still Huskers for life, they fall in to one or both of those categories
    "There's three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and the way that I do it. " - Nicky Santoro

"All things end badly, or else they wouldn't end. " - Brian Flanagan

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    +2
    +3
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Drozz View Post
    He said nothing about effort and nothing about them being on the team because they weren't good enough....it's the reality of major college football....some kids just don't end up being that good, and some don't live up to the hype....while they're still Huskers for life, they fall in to one or both of those categories
    Exactly Drozz. I don't think its wrong for him to state as much either. In fact, I would say Currenski Gilleylen, Marcus Mendoza, Collins Okafor and few offensive lineman (as recent players who come to mind) could be considered the same as well.

He said nothing of their character or what they add to the locker room or what they have/will add to life, but strictly speaking about their football capabilities, yes, they were misses. It is guaranteed to happen in every class. How many 4 and 5 stars go on to play in the NFL? And by the same token, how many Matt Slausons and Danny Woodheads are there? There will be misses in this class too, but there also will be guys who "overachieve" based on their star ranking. At Nebraska we have prided ourselves on the tradition of the walk-on player because we have had some really good ones but for every walk-on player who makes it, there is a player who was recruited and given a scholarship that was a miss. When there are 85 scholarships available and only about 40ish guys who get consistent playing time, its part of the game. Either way, they'll be part of the Husker family for life and hopefully they will have developed a good head on their shoulders in their time at Nebraska and can go on and be successful in life.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

"The last 11 days we focused on Nebraska," said Snyder, "and now I know more about them than I want to."

The value of a quality backup/practice player-"program guy" is consistently undervalued by the recruiting "gurus."

Get behind the Mule!
    Both are misses from a performance standpoint. No drama here. About half of scholarship recruits don't pan out to be major contributors, and it's not a slight to point that out for 4th year players that haven't seen the field. Okafor, Kreikemeier...there's a few non-cons in that group. Probably not unexpected given that it was a salvage class.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    The value of a quality backup/practice player-"program guy" is consistently undervalued by the recruiting "gurus."
    Don't we call them WALK-ONS?

Red Shirt
    there were a few more on his list that he didnt call misses that really were. he was being generous in his evaluation...sorry to hurt your feelings.