Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64

Thread: Losing confidence, but still BOlieve

  1. #41
    Varsity
    HuskerRedDread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back & forth between Omaha & San Antonio
    Posts
    10,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Huska View Post
    But they have twice the recruits committed than we have now so they prob got alot of their 1st choices and are filling the rest just to fill their class hoping they find a low star gem
    Quality over quantity. These other schools you are referring to may have more scholarships available for the upcoming season and/or they may be in the SEC which we all know plays by a different set of rules. But that doesn't mean they got their #1 choices. It means they took who ever was interested in them. NU has a bunch of recruits interested whom have not receive offers for the fact that we are in on some pretty good talent at the moment. I know their is a Offensive lineman that just committed to tOSU whom had NU as their favorite but never received an offer. So again, if you compare our status to the actions of another program, you are doing nothing but chasing your own tail. NU is doing exactly what it needs to be do to get who they need in this class. Patience, it will all work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarstheRed View Post
    I'm not looking for perfection, but you have to feel that every time Bo saw TM about to be interviewed he had to have a serious case of butt clench.

  2. #42
    Varsity
    HuskerRedDread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back & forth between Omaha & San Antonio
    Posts
    10,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but my version of Huska's concern is that (while I also get the recruiting ups and downs and our small class and our emphasis on "better" recruits,) with 11 commitments at this stage, I'm thrilled that we don't have a class of 25 to fill. All this logic used against Huska essentially says, "we can raise the bar on a small class (and we're fine,) but if we have 25 slots to fill, the standards go down because we don't have the population to support higher recruiting standards around a normal class size." And BTW, there are many Top 20 teams that had 20+ commitments 2 or more months ago that are now going through the process (thinking of LSU) of culling out their lower rated commitments as they get commitments from better ones (and I'm not advocating that practice - just saying.)

    I'm not sitting here sweating this, but I have seen high profile large classes signed at NU, and these arguments feel like a Bo-excuse. Like many of you, I also believe Bo and NU will be fine, but we haven't seen enough success recruiting-wise or game performance-wise to say there are absolutely no concerns. IMO, a LITTLE anxiety is in order whether or not it's expressed...
    See, that's the thing. We don't have 25 slots to fill so why would Bo and staff be worried about "if we had 25 slots to fill then we'd be in trouble". Only fans who don't understand the ins and outs of the process is worrying about that. I'm sure if we had more slots to fill, Coach Papuchis (sp?), who was the recruiting coordinator, would have planned a made a slight different approach in how we recruited this class. We are going after specific skill sets in our recruits to fit the needs of the program. And we are looking at the best kids with those skill sets simple as that. We aren't looking to fill slots with a bunch of guys just so people can see we have kids coming in.

    And comparing the recruiting tactics of LSU to what we do is disgraceful. I for one couldn't be proud of a coach who would take a young and promise them a scholarship only to kick them to the curb near the end of the process because another guy has come along. These kids make commitments to play for these schools and most may have stop looking at other programs. Most of those kids wanted to play for these schools since a young pup only to be told that they are being released from their scholarship without a logical reason other than, another recruit looks to be a better player/athlete so he's going to take your spot, tough luck, you should have ran faster. If you aren't advocating that, then why bring it up.

    And no sure how it's seen as a Bo excuse. 11 talented guys who have already committed and waiting for Feb 1st, along with at least 5 just as talented guys I believe are ready to throw on the Husker ball cap also. This staff as done a excellent job, still not finish, but thus far, an excellent job getting the talent here in this recruiting class. I believe when it's all said an done, those doubting the work of this staff should be the first to stand and begin a round of applause for these guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarstheRed View Post
    I'm not looking for perfection, but you have to feel that every time Bo saw TM about to be interviewed he had to have a serious case of butt clench.

  3. #43
    Recruit

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Had we had a full class of 25 it would be a completely different strategy.....

    As for not enough sucess recrutiing wise? Really? I could not disagree more...and have no clue what you base that on....

    Honestly all the sky is falling stuff on here gets old after awhile.....sorry that is just the way I feel.....

    Anxiety in order? I disagree....understanding the whole recruiting process and its ups n downs is more in order....

    This is not a normal class (very small) yet 8 of the 11 guys we have are 4-star rated by one or all four of the recruiting services....and yet folks come on here and express anxiety....I don't get it at all....

    Concur. Our strategy would have been a lot different if we had to fill a larger class. It appears that we targeted certain players and went after them. If we had a larger class to bring in we would have targeted a much larger pool of player and each "perceived" miss would not have been so dramatic. We discussed a while ago how, because of the smaller class and specific targets, this would be a high risk/high reward recruiting season. Appears to me that so far we have seen the high reward end of it, with more to hopefully come. Also, we were pretty well set with that DB out of Cali (Rios) until he submitted his paperwork and was short on courses for early admission..so he went to UCLA...he was a high target that the staff essentially "got".

  4. #44
    Red Shirt
    Huska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wayne America
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by N2FL View Post
    Good post. With the likely additions of Andrus Peat and Vincent Valentine, Nebraska will have signed most of their #1 targets per position. Armstrong, Rose, Seisay and Valentine have been called as much. Westerkamp was not a position of need, but the Huskers were going to take one. He was identified early and was eventually their 2nd commit. The staff obviously likes him a lot. Watching his tape and looking at his HS career, you can see why. Anderson is the consensus #1 JUCO LB in the class of 2012. I knew the Huskers were having a very solid class, but I never really looked at it liked that. Other than Safety Jordan Diggs, I think they're are still 'In' with all of their other #1 position targets. Thats a good point.
    Very good points with Shortsideoption's post. SSO thanks for that information. When it is put in that prospective, it does look like a great job the staff is doing

  5. #45
    Red Shirt
    Huska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wayne America
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    No it's still down to about 16 but we may take up to 20 based on rumors of guys who may no longer be with the program come this fall. But regardless, if you look at the class, I'm not sure how you can't tip your hat and smile at what this staff has done and is currently doing with this recruiting class.
    I now agree with you after ShortSides breakdown. This is a great class so far

  6. #46
    All Legend

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Power of Corn View Post
    90%+ kids sign and stay within 350-400 miles of home, that doesnt help us, but thats why we have to recruit just a bit harder to keep up. I like new coach Kaz, he will bring a different perspective and fresh ideas to recruiting, as well as a successful track record for def. tackles..
    Very interesting stat... I hadn't seen it documented before. Where'd you find it?
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  7. #47
    Varsity
    BGRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Quad Cities, Iowa
    Posts
    10,340
    small class allows you to be more selective. large class means that you lock in some 'secondary' choices early because you have spots and can't afford to be shut out completely.

  8. #48
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    See, that's the thing. We don't have 25 slots to fill so why would Bo and staff be worried about "if we had 25 slots to fill then we'd be in trouble". Only fans who don't understand the ins and outs of the process is worrying about that. I'm sure if we had more slots to fill, Coach Papuchis (sp?), who was the recruiting coordinator, would have planned a made a slight different approach in how we recruited this class. We are going after specific skill sets in our recruits to fit the needs of the program. And we are looking at the best kids with those skill sets simple as that. We aren't looking to fill slots with a bunch of guys just so people can see we have kids coming in.

    And comparing the recruiting tactics of LSU to what we do is disgraceful. I for one couldn't be proud of a coach who would take a young and promise them a scholarship only to kick them to the curb near the end of the process because another guy has come along. These kids make commitments to play for these schools and most may have stop looking at other programs. Most of those kids wanted to play for these schools since a young pup only to be told that they are being released from their scholarship without a logical reason other than, another recruit looks to be a better player/athlete so he's going to take your spot, tough luck, you should have ran faster. If you aren't advocating that, then why bring it up.

    And no sure how it's seen as a Bo excuse. 11 talented guys who have already committed and waiting for Feb 1st, along with at least 5 just as talented guys I believe are ready to throw on the Husker ball cap also. This staff as done a excellent job, still not finish, but thus far, an excellent job getting the talent here in this recruiting class. I believe when it's all said an done, those doubting the work of this staff should be the first to stand and begin a round of applause for these guys.
    Hope you're right. And I don't want to debate the recruiting services, but teams like Alabama, FSU, OU, tOSU, MI, TX, USC have Fifteen 5/4 star recruits, and they have that every year. We have no five star recruits on any service and five 4* recruits per rivals (three 4* recruits on scout.) I understand stars don't necessarily equal product on the field, but combined with good coaching and getting the guys that fit your system, I imagine it's a good combination.

    And I am not disagreeing on this season's recruits - it looks like it shaping up great. I believe the general angst doesn't involve this year's recruits as much as it does the 4 year body of work, and maybe the concern that the talent on this team today may not be equal to the talent Bo inherited.

    I'm not hyperventilating - I'm optimistic, i believe (unlike others) that the trajectory is headed in the right direction. I just didn't believe it was fair to jump down another posters throat basically saying "you're ignorant and you don't get it" when the progress on the field of play is still debatable. I don't believe it was unreasonable to express a guarded concern and I didn't believe the poster needed to be derided "because he doesn't get it." It's all an opinion right now and it will play out. Just saying...

  9. #49
    Red Shirt
    70county's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    sioux city
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
    Hope you're right. And I don't want to debate the recruiting services, but teams like Alabama, FSU, OU, tOSU, MI, TX, USC have Fifteen 5/4 star recruits, and they have that every year. We have no five star recruits on any service and five 4* recruits per rivals (three 4* recruits on scout.) I understand stars don't necessarily equal product on the field, but combined with good coaching and getting the guys that fit your system, I imagine it's a good combination.

    And I am not disagreeing on this season's recruits - it looks like it shaping up great. I believe the general angst doesn't involve this year's recruits as much as it does the 4 year body of work, and maybe the concern that the talent on this team today may not be equal to the talent Bo inherited.

    I'm not hyperventilating - I'm optimistic, i believe (unlike others) that the trajectory is headed in the right direction. I just didn't believe it was fair to jump down another posters throat basically saying "you're ignorant and you don't get it" when the progress on the field of play is still debatable. I don't believe it was unreasonable to express a guarded concern and I didn't believe the poster needed to be derided "because he doesn't get it." It's all an opinion right now and it will play out. Just saying...
    thats not true...there were only about 32 5* recruits this year and most..

    sorry, red your post wrong, thought you were saying that they all had 15 5* guys as i have had frantic friends throw that out at me...

  10. #50
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    11,196
    in all reality we have no clue if ANY of these kids will be good and contribute and or will be busts....its probably just better to wait a couple of years after the class is signed to judge anything anyway

  11. #51
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    44,992
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Very interesting stat... I hadn't seen it documented before. Where'd you find it?
    Not to speak out of turn but I did a quick search and could find anything but I bet it's out there somewhere.

    Logic pretty much dictates that proximity is a HUGE factor. Is it 90%...is it 300-400-500 miles? I don't know but all you need to do is look at most programs and look at where their recruits come from. Most Texas guys are from Texas. Most Oklahoma players are from Ok or Texas (which in a lot of cases would exceed 3-400 miles but it's still close). Bama...looked at their roster and there are obviously a lot of guys from alabama but also a BUNCH from Georgia and Florida.

    Fortunately there are enough guys that don't feel like they MUST stay that close to home.

  12. #52
    All Legend

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16,007
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Not to speak out of turn but I did a quick search and could find anything but I bet it's out there somewhere.

    Logic pretty much dictates that proximity is a HUGE factor. Is it 90%...is it 300-400-500 miles? I don't know but all you need to do is look at most programs and look at where their recruits come from. Most Texas guys are from Texas. Most Oklahoma players are from Ok or Texas (which in a lot of cases would exceed 3-400 miles but it's still close). Bama...looked at their roster and there are obviously a lot of guys from alabama but also a BUNCH from Georgia and Florida.

    Fortunately there are enough guys that don't feel like they MUST stay that close to home.
    Oh, I believe it, for sure.

    I was just looking forward to some of the methodology and maybe associate info.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  13. #53
    All Legend
    utsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,437
    wasn't there a map a few years ago where you selected a team and could see all their recruits that proved out that distance theory.

  14. #54
    All Legend
    utsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,437
    found this map, but it's about the top recruits....guess who's names are in there?

  15. #55
    All Legend

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16,007
    Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    wasn't there a map a few years ago where you selected a team and could see all their recruits that proved out that distance theory.
    This maybe? Haven't looked at it yet.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...20/recruiting/
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  16. #56
    All Legend
    utsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,437
    This one is someone at Stanfords homework

    It has a pretty graph

  17. #57
    All Legend
    utsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,437
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    This maybe? Haven't looked at it yet.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...20/recruiting/
    yeah, that's the map I linked to....but I'm pretty sure someone did one where you picked a school and then could link to the map of all their recruits.

  18. #58
    All Legend

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16,007
    Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    yeah, that's the map I linked to....but I'm pretty sure someone did one where you picked a school and then could link to the map of all their recruits.
    I think that option is in the inset to the article.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  19. #59
    All Legend
    utsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,437
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    I think that option is in the inset to the article.
    yeah it's there, but it doesn't have all the thumbtacks in at once, maybe one of you smarter tech guys can figure out how to get all the thumbtacks on the left to show up on the map at the same time

  20. #60
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Next Year
    Posts
    4,390
    Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    wasn't there a map a few years ago where you selected a team and could see all their recruits that proved out that distance theory.
    The Omaha World Herald produced a map of Big Ten school recruits in August last year.

    More info and analysis from them here.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •