Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Losing confidence, but still BOlieve

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerpilk View Post
    And just take heart with this...Nobler did not commit to ND on his recent visit so we're still in it for him. NSD cannot come soon enough on this kid.
    Is Nobler related to Captain Tuttle from MASH?
    Husker follower since 1962

Not to beat a dead horse, but my version of Huska's concern is that (while I also get the recruiting ups and downs and our small class and our emphasis on "better" recruits,) with 11 commitments at this stage, I'm thrilled that we don't have a class of 25 to fill. All this logic used against Huska essentially says, "we can raise the bar on a small class (and we're fine,) but if we have 25 slots to fill, the standards go down because we don't have the population to support higher recruiting standards around a normal class size." And BTW, there are many Top 20 teams that had 20+ commitments 2 or more months ago that are now going through the process (thinking of LSU) of culling out their lower rated commitments as they get commitments from better ones (and I'm not advocating that practice - just saying.)

I'm not sitting here sweating this, but I have seen high profile large classes signed at NU, and these arguments feel like a Bo-excuse. Like many of you, I also believe Bo and NU will be fine, but we haven't seen enough success recruiting-wise or game performance-wise to say there are absolutely no concerns. IMO, a LITTLE anxiety is in order whether or not it's expressed...

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    In my opinion, the only major disappointment we've had thus far is Jordan Diggs and losing out to South Carolina isn't something that is going to keep me up at night.
    Agreed. I thought for a long time that Jordan Diggs would be a Husker eventually. But like you said, losing a Florida recruit to South Carolina should not be taken too hard. The B1G recruits the state of Florida, but Florida is SEC recruiting stomping grounds. There are well over a dozen Florida players on South Carolina's roster. Not to mention his family ties to the program...Ronnie Stanley and Quanzell Lambert had to hurt too though right?

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    Should the staff go after lesser recruits so that you feel better about us not losing out on our top guys? FWIW, every school in the country does not get their #1 guy at each position. I would argue we have done better than 90 percent of the schools in this regard. Off the top of my head, we still have a great shot at landing, or have landed our #1 target at these spots:

QB - Armstrong (got in on him early and identified him, crossing our fingers for Fuller)
    WR - Westerkamp was our #1
    OL - Peat is our #1
    DT - Valentine was our top guy, still in it with him with a nice back up in Curry who I would argue isn't a backup
    DE - McMullen was wayyyyy at the top of our board
    LB - Anderson and Rose were our #1s here, got em
    CB - Seisay, #1 guy

After those guys everyone is a secondary option. Every school has their top guys and then a lump in each position group that you hope you get after that. We can't do anything about guys not qualifying or wanting to stay close to home.
    Good post. With the likely additions of Andrus Peat and Vincent Valentine, Nebraska will have signed most of their #1 targets per position. Armstrong, Rose, Seisay and Valentine have been called as much. Westerkamp was not a position of need, but the Huskers were going to take one. He was identified early and was eventually their 2nd commit. The staff obviously likes him a lot. Watching his tape and looking at his HS career, you can see why. Anderson is the consensus #1 JUCO LB in the class of 2012. I knew the Huskers were having a very solid class, but I never really looked at it liked that. Other than Safety Jordan Diggs, I think they're are still 'In' with all of their other #1 position targets. Thats a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by N2FL View Post
    Ronnie Stanley and Quanzell Lambert had to hurt too though right?
    Lambert didn't hurt too much to me because we lost out to Rutgers. If we had lost out to Iowa? Dear God... I wouldn't have slept for weeks.

I thought it was always kind of understood that Stanley and Peat didn't want to head the same direction, given they'd both likely play Left Tackle? Maybe I'm making that up.

Had we had a full class of 25 it would be a completely different strategy.....

As for not enough sucess recrutiing wise? Really? I could not disagree more...and have no clue what you base that on....

Honestly all the sky is falling stuff on here gets old after awhile.....sorry that is just the way I feel.....

Anxiety in order? I disagree....understanding the whole recruiting process and its ups n downs is more in order....

This is not a normal class (very small) yet 8 of the 11 guys we have are 4-star rated by one or all four of the recruiting services....and yet folks come on here and express anxiety....I don't get it at all....

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but my version of Huska's concern is that (while I also get the recruiting ups and downs and our small class and our emphasis on "better" recruits,) with 11 commitments at this stage, I'm thrilled that we don't have a class of 25 to fill. All this logic used against Huska essentially says, "we can raise the bar on a small class (and we're fine,) but if we have 25 slots to fill, the standards go down because we don't have the population to support higher recruiting standards around a normal class size." And BTW, there are many Top 20 teams that had 20+ commitments 2 or more months ago that are now going through the process (thinking of LSU) of culling out their lower rated commitments as they get commitments from better ones (and I'm not advocating that practice - just saying.)

I'm not sitting here sweating this, but I have seen high profile large classes signed at NU, and these arguments feel like a Bo-excuse. Like many of you, I also believe Bo and NU will be fine, but we haven't seen enough success recruiting-wise or game performance-wise to say there are absolutely no concerns. IMO, a LITTLE anxiety is in order whether or not it's expressed...
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Yup...not to mention Seisay is considered in a few quarters to be the #1 JUCO recruit in the country.....likely a 5-star were he a high school kid....

We are in great shape....oh add Moore to that #1 target list....just upgraded to a 4-star staus by Rivals...

Good post. With the likely additions of Andrus Peat and Vincent Valentine, Nebraska will have signed most of their #1 targets per position. Armstrong, Rose, Seisay and Valentine have been called as much. Westerkamp was not a position of need, but the Huskers were going to take one. He was identified early and was eventually their 2nd commit. The staff obviously likes him a lot. Watching his tape and looking at his HS career, you can see why. Anderson is the consensus #1 JUCO LB in the class of 2012. I knew the Huskers were having a very solid class, but I never really looked at it liked that. Other than Safety Jordan Diggs, I think they're are still 'In' with all of their other #1 position targets. Thats a good point.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Huska View Post
    I dont look at stars, but the guys we have been leading with their recruitment early tend to go somewhere else. Look I like the class too so far, but if we were looking at 15 or so I would feel better, but now it is up as high as 20 kids.
    No it's still down to about 16 but we may take up to 20 based on rumors of guys who may no longer be with the program come this fall. But regardless, if you look at the class, I'm not sure how you can't tip your hat and smile at what this staff has done and is currently doing with this recruiting class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Fear of spiders is aracnaphobia, fear of tight spaces is chlaustraphobia, fear of Ameer is Wisdom

Starter
    It is not whether or not I can handle the ups or downs here RR, its the fact that we are looking at the 2nd or 3rd options after our 1st options do elsewhere. Dont get me wrong I understand your logic of the "2 stars" and you would know more than me.
    Our second and third options are no slouches either. It's not like we are missing out on a great recruit and going and recruiting someone who would do best to walk on at South Dakota or something. Hell, we just had a hell of an athlete at runningback looking at walking on for us. Can't remember the guys name at the moment.
    Fear of spiders is aracnaphobia, fear of tight spaces is chlaustraphobia, fear of Ameer is Wisdom

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by gutterputt View Post
    Seeing kids that we've been recruiting for awhile choose somewhere else is frustrating. I recall being on the edge of my seat awaiting Owa's decision and screaming profanity upon Lambert's. I think the staff is recruiting well and is opening a few more doors which will benefit them in the future.
    I share this emotion with you as Owa looked like he was "Husker Ready". Spent an extensive amount of time watching Suh and the Suh effect and commenting on how he can see himself stepping in like that for the program. It was obvious that Bo was a little hurt with him choosing UCLA over the Huskers. Funny thing about that is Bo gets a chance to show the young man what he missed out on next season on the 8th of September and the following season he'll be in Lincoln on the 14th of September.

Starter
    But they have twice the recruits committed than we have now so they prob got alot of their 1st choices and are filling the rest just to fill their class hoping they find a low star gem
    Quality over quantity. These other schools you are referring to may have more scholarships available for the upcoming season and/or they may be in the SEC which we all know plays by a different set of rules. But that doesn't mean they got their #1 choices. It means they took who ever was interested in them. NU has a bunch of recruits interested whom have not receive offers for the fact that we are in on some pretty good talent at the moment. I know their is a Offensive lineman that just committed to tOSU whom had NU as their favorite but never received an offer. So again, if you compare our status to the actions of another program, you are doing nothing but chasing your own tail. NU is doing exactly what it needs to be do to get who they need in this class. Patience, it will all work out.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post

See, that's the thing. We don't have 25 slots to fill so why would Bo and staff be worried about "if we had 25 slots to fill then we'd be in trouble". Only fans who don't understand the ins and outs of the process is worrying about that. I'm sure if we had more slots to fill, Coach Papuchis (sp?), who was the recruiting coordinator, would have planned a made a slight different approach in how we recruited this class. We are going after specific skill sets in our recruits to fit the needs of the program. And we are looking at the best kids with those skill sets simple as that. We aren't looking to fill slots with a bunch of guys just so people can see we have kids coming in.

And comparing the recruiting tactics of LSU to what we do is disgraceful. I for one couldn't be proud of a coach who would take a young and promise them a scholarship only to kick them to the curb near the end of the process because another guy has come along. These kids make commitments to play for these schools and most may have stop looking at other programs. Most of those kids wanted to play for these schools since a young pup only to be told that they are being released from their scholarship without a logical reason other than, another recruit looks to be a better player/athlete so he's going to take your spot, tough luck, you should have ran faster. If you aren't advocating that, then why bring it up.

And no sure how it's seen as a Bo excuse. 11 talented guys who have already committed and waiting for Feb 1st, along with at least 5 just as talented guys I believe are ready to throw on the Husker ball cap also. This staff as done a excellent job, still not finish, but thus far, an excellent job getting the talent here in this recruiting class. I believe when it's all said an done, those doubting the work of this staff should be the first to stand and begin a round of applause for these guys.

Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Had we had a full class of 25 it would be a completely different strategy.....

As for not enough sucess recrutiing wise? Really? I could not disagree more...and have no clue what you base that on....

Honestly all the sky is falling stuff on here gets old after awhile.....sorry that is just the way I feel.....

Anxiety in order? I disagree....understanding the whole recruiting process and its ups n downs is more in order....

This is not a normal class (very small) yet 8 of the 11 guys we have are 4-star rated by one or all four of the recruiting services....and yet folks come on here and express anxiety....I don't get it at all....

Concur. Our strategy would have been a lot different if we had to fill a larger class. It appears that we targeted certain players and went after them. If we had a larger class to bring in we would have targeted a much larger pool of player and each "perceived" miss would not have been so dramatic. We discussed a while ago how, because of the smaller class and specific targets, this would be a high risk/high reward recruiting season. Appears to me that so far we have seen the high reward end of it, with more to hopefully come. Also, we were pretty well set with that DB out of Cali (Rios) until he submitted his paperwork and was short on courses for early admission..so he went to UCLA...he was a high target that the staff essentially "got".

Red Shirt
    Very good points with Shortsideoption's post. SSO thanks for that information. When it is put in that prospective, it does look like a great job the staff is doing

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    No it's still down to about 16 but we may take up to 20 based on rumors of guys who may no longer be with the program come this fall. But regardless, if you look at the class, I'm not sure how you can't tip your hat and smile at what this staff has done and is currently doing with this recruiting class.
    I now agree with you after ShortSides breakdown. This is a great class so far