Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drew Ott named Parade All-American

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by coherbie View Post
    it's a long march from here , but I've routinely questioned Ott (& Shoff) not being pursued (scholie, greyshirt?) only to be shouted down with the numbers game lecture.

Seal the borders first. There should always be room for 2-3 Nebraskans (~10% of each class isn't too much to ask)
    I agree Ott and Shoff are too good to get away!!! Put these kids in Texas and they would probably had offers. I think we automatically think these kids will accept walkon offers. Even greyshirt offers would be better than letting them get away.
    It is what it is!!!

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by jikastew View Post
    Disagree. Offer the best athletes for your system. If the state only has 1 worthy according to the coaches, then that's how it is.
    +1

Scout Team
    I think OL Mike Shoff (1) and DE Drew Ott (2) are the best players in the state of Nebraska for 2012. I dont know if any are worthy of a scholarship though. Both play positions where better players are either committed (McMullen, Thurston) or expected to commit (Peat). They also play positions that are not high priority for this smaller class and are frankly being taken by much more well regarded prospects. Maybe if Nebraska had 10 more scholarships like normal to offer, Shoff and Ott get offers? Maybe not. I agree with JIKASTEW and others with the opinion of the best players get offers - no matter their state.

Red Shirt
    with all do respect, it appears to me the problem this year at linbacker was the fact that too many of them were from the state of nebraska. having instate guys implement a little fire into practice and a few of the very best work their way onto the field is a great thing for the life blood of the team and fans. but a quick look at the depth chart tells me we need talent at linbacker not homegrown boys to make us feel good. which one of the LB's in this class would you leave out to offer ott? how well has kreienkmeyer worked out as tom...or bo's 1st recruit?

BUCK 45 Alonzo Whaley, 6-1, 235, Jr., Madisonville, Texas 1 letter
    - OR - 42 Sean Fisher, 6-6, 235, Jr., Omaha, Neb. 1 letter
    38 Graham Stoddard, 6-2, 235, Jr., Lincoln, Neb. 2 letters
    MIKE 51 Will Compton, 6-2, 230, Jr., Bonne Terre, Mo. 2 letters
    43 Trevor Roach, 6-2, 235, RFr., Elhorn, Neb.
    41 David Santos, 6-0, 205, Fr., Spring, Texas
    WILL 4 Lavonte David, 6-1, 225, Sr., Miami, Fla. 1 letter
    36 Mathew May, 6-1, 215, Sr., Imperial, Neb. 3 letters
    32 Jim Ebke, 6-0, 205, Sr., Lincoln, Neb. 1 letter

All American
    Sean Fisher should have agreed to the move to DE a year or two ago.
    Bring Jim Tressel to Lincoln!

Quote Originally Posted by coherbie View Post
    But I've routinely questioned Ott (& Shoff) not being pursued (scholie, greyshirt?) only to be shouted down with the numbers game lecture.
    As much as it bites, 'the numbers game' is the reality of this year. Nebraska is currently sitting in a situation with Aaron Curry and Vincent Valentine where it's possible (not likely, but possible) that we could have to take one and turn the other down.

I'm still not sure Sam Cotton gets an offer if Nebraska hadn't struck out on a number of tight ends so early in the process.

It's unfortunate, but as I said - the numbers game is this year's reality. 2013 should be far better for in-state players.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerNCorpus View Post
    Ott wasn't offered by Notre Dame, Michigan or Wisconsin, I don't believe. He canceled visits there, and perhaps would have received an offer.

It's interesting to note that we only have 1 commit from the state of Nebraska. If this happened 5 years ago, some of our fans would be marching to Lincoln with pitchforks.
    Possibly true. Lots of other reasons to be disillusioned at that time, this one would have pushed everyone over the edge.

Recruit
    I have never seen Ott on film ever. I couldn't pick him out of a photo line-up. What stikes me as odd is the national folks make this guy a Parade All-American so my natural reaction is "What we miss here". My initial reaction is that this guy is no where near the 4 linebackers that are already signed. And I totally agree with 70county. But none of these guys spoken about weren't Parade All-Americans. Maybe being a Parade All American isn't what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    10%?? Has it ever been that high? The roof would blow off this place and rightfully so if the coach staff set aside around 10% of schollies every year for kids whose only qualification was that they are instate.
    10% on a normal year would be 2.5 (or 2-3) and this year would be 1.7 (or 1-2.) In 2011 we took 4 Nebraskans, 2010 we took 4, 2009 we took 2 and 2008 we took 6. Assuming just 1 this season, we have signed 17 Nebraskans over 5 classes or an average 3.4 per year which is well over 10%.

Sean Fisher should have agreed to the move to DE a year or two ago.
    Absolutely...It seems fairly obvious that he could be a DE coming out of high school. I think that w/ his athleticism he could have been a starter, at least, and maybe all conference. Anyone have a clue if the subject was broached w/ him?

It's interesting to note that we only have 1 commit from the state of Nebraska. If this happened 5 years ago, some of our fans would be marching to Lincoln with pitchforks.
    We'll see how it plays out, but this is a small class. Maybe a % comparison would be more accurate.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by hrbhskr View Post
    I have never seen Ott on film ever. I couldn't pick him out of a photo line-up. What stikes me as odd is the national folks make this guy a Parade All-American so my natural reaction is "What we miss here". My initial reaction is that this guy is no where near the 4 linebackers that are already signed. And I totally agree with 70county. But none of these guys spoken about weren't Parade All-Americans. Maybe being a Parade All American isn't what it used to be.
    not sure how all these all star teams work out. who makes the call on them and how much football do they know. what i do know is that the omaha nebraska paper is in volved and perhaps like some of the all star teams and and all state teams their is a little politics invlolved. another words if the world herald is a member of selection group then a player from the state may be nice to have on the list..doesnt really hurt anyone by having him on the list and it stirs up interest for the team in the state of nebraska. i would assume that if the selection group were starting a team and not selling new papers that ott may not be on the team...

Quote Originally Posted by 70county View Post
    not sure how all these all star teams work out. who makes the call on them and how much football do they know. what i do know is that the omaha nebraska paper is in volved and perhaps like some of the all star teams and and all state teams their is a little politics invlolved. another words if the world herald is a member of selection group then a player from the state may be nice to have on the list..doesnt really hurt anyone by having him on the list and it stirs up interest for the team in the state of nebraska. i would assume that if the selection group were starting a team and not selling new papers that ott may not be on the team...
    Wow, all of this without even seeing the guy play. Interesting stuff.

Travel Squad

Ummm...if Ott or Shoff were in Texas they would be 2 stars at best. They are benefiting from low competition levels. So don't say they would have had an offer.

As of Friday LSU and USC had no commits from the Parade All-American list, their recruiting must be terrible this year.

Are we really getting bent out of shape about not getting a guy that had offers from NDSU, SDSU, Ohio, and Iowa? The very foundation of Nebraska football that people are referring to in the 90's is that this kid should walk-on and not be offered. I mean we are seriously mad that this kid is going to Iowa instead of Nebraska. Check the egos at the door, if this kid chose LSU over us without an offer, then it's time to panic about our coaches evaluation skills.

Travel Squad

Went to go make food and had to come back to my computer. This topic just boggles my mind that people seriously think we needed to offer this kid. We really need to offer someone to keep them going to a 1AA school or Ohio or Iowa!!?? This is not arrogance, but those programs are beneath us. That is correct, you can go to school at a lesser program and get a scholarship, or you can come to Nebraska to a better program and try to earn your scholarship?

If this was our recruiting philosophy, where does the cut off line end???? "Well every top D2 team in the country has offered him, along with most 1AA schools and Soich at Ohio, this kid can't even get a look from Nebraska?!" If we adapt the strategy that most of you want us to take up in regards to this topic, don't worry, Pelini will be gone in a couple years because we will be dead last in the Legends division.